Expectations for 2018-2019

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Need a healthy Babb. That's my biggest concern.

If Babb's healthy, top 3 in Big12 and 4-5 seed in the tourney.

We're going to be really good.

Yep, I don't care how much better depth or experience we'll have, expectations should be taken with a grain of salt due to all the things (like injuries, suspensions, etc.) that can happen. We will still need our key players healthy and producing. I don't think Texas Tech loses to Baylor and OkState this past week if Keenan Evans doesn't go down, much less Zach Smith. Really thought they would have won the big12 til then, KU or no KU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Next year’s schedule is brutal. Maui, Missouri, SEC Challenge. We could be significantly better and have a few more non-conference losses. That would put a good amount of pressure on getting a top-5 finish in the Big 12.

We'll be fine. We'll get enough wins and the strength of schedule will help push us over the top.

Reactions: NWICY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We'll be fine. We'll get enough wins and the strength of schedule will help push us over the top.
That’s one possible outcome, yes.
If we follow the pattern of slow starts of the past few years as we figure out the rotation, it’s just as likely we’ll tenuously be on the bubble in which a bad bounce or two could pop what is a very important year.

Any NCAA berth is a win right now, but it’s disappointing that White team struggled enough early to end up playing a great UK team in the second round. That team had deep run potential otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mb7299

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I think we'll be slightly behind the ball coming out of Maui and fight back for a 7-8 seed by March.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Good comparison. One more thing I want to add to that...

Good teams have identities. That team had beautiful ball movement, epitomized position-less basketball before it was cool, and shot the three very well.

Last year's team was known for its experience, crack outside shooting, deadliness on the break, and for having a ball-hawking defense with good perimeter defenders who put up a passable defense despite having no rim protection behind them.

(Can you imagine how well this year's Lard would have fit in last year? But I digress...)

If next year's team is going to be any good, it has to be known for something. It has to have a style or identity that you can describe as to why it wins games.

What is that going to be?

I personally think our identity could be length on the perimter. Contested jumpers and tipped passes lead to fast break offense. We should be a great defensive team.

Talley - 6'7"
Shayok - 6'6"
Horton-Tucker - 6'6"
Weiler-Babb - 6'5"
Lewis - 6'5"
Wigginton - 6'2"

Also, tough to compare our top end talent to Kane/Ejim/Niang. That was possibly our best trio ever. However, while I don't think all three will earn first team All Big 12...would not surprise me one bit if you told me Wigginton, Shayok or Lard ended up being first team all conference. If Babb is 100% healthy would not be surprised at all to see him have a huge senior year as well.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Next year’s schedule is brutal. Maui, Missouri, SEC Challenge. We could be significantly better and have a few more non-conference losses. That would put a good amount of pressure on getting a top-5 finish in the Big 12.

Maui could be rough. I'll be happy if they get one win, and hopefully it's not just against Chaminad.
Edit: Just looked up the maui tournament. This is the first year there will be 8 D1 teams, and Chaminade will not play in the tournament.
Possible scenario:
1)Duke 2)Xavier 3)Arizona 4)Auburn 5)Gonzaga, 6)San Diego St 7)Iowa St 8)Illinois
Iowa St loses to Xavier
Iowa St vs SDSU second round
Either Auburn or Illinois in final round

Mizzou is in Hilton, and both Porters are probably gone.

SEC challenge is probably on the road. Who knows how they'll match up Iowa St. Obviously they'll finish last in the Big 12 this season, so hopefully match us according with a lower level SEC team. Georgia, LSU, Alabama??

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I know certain posters will not be happy, but I think with the tough Maui field, it's crucial that Prohm schedules the extra non conference cupcake. I am usually one that would rather play a tough team, and take the loss, than a cupcake that actually hurts your rpi.

However, with the expanded ncaa field, and the weaker bubble, I think it's critical that we get to 20 wins. With the maui games, and a big 12 that is always rated high, 20 wins is almost a guarantee.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I know certain posters will not be happy, but I think with the tough Maui field, it's crucial that Prohm schedules the extra non conference cupcake. I am usually one that would rather play a tough team, and take the loss, than a cupcake that actually hurts your rpi.

However, with the expanded ncaa field, and the weaker bubble, I think it's critical that we get to 20 wins. With the maui games, and a big 12 that is always rated high, 20 wins is almost a guarantee.
It’s also another game in which to test different rotations and roles. I don’t think we gained much from passing up the extra exhibition this year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Possible scenario:
1)Duke 2)Xavier 3)Arizona 4)Auburn 5)Gonzaga, 6)San Diego St 7)Iowa St 8)Illinois
Iowa St loses to Xavier
Iowa St vs SDSU second round
Either Auburn or Illinois in final round

I think Maui draw will be either:
1 Duke
8 Illinois
4 Auburn
5 Gonzaga
3 Arizona
6 Iowa State
2 Xavier
7 San Diego State
1. Lose to (3) Arizona.
2. Def. (7) San Diego State.
3. (4) Auburn/(5) Gonzaga ... leans slightly toward L.
OR
1 Duke
8 San Diego State
4 Auburn
5 Gonzaga
3 Xavier
6 Iowa State
2 Arizona
7 Illinois
1. Lose to (3) Xavier.
2. Defeat (7) Illinois.
3. (4) Auburn/(5) Gonzaga ... leans slightly toward L.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My "If's" for next year include - If Wigs and Lard return.. If everyone has a healthy off season.. If we get constancy at the point guard spot..

All those come true and my expectations are to be 6 or better seed.

With that 6 seed or better, we could/would play in Des Moines. All aboard the hype train because then the dream scenario of a Sweet 16/Elite 8 in KC at the Sprint center.. Final 4 in Minneapolis comes true

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I remember that team's identity mostly being something like...

(1.) Just having three All-Americans. That was all. Three guys who were as good or better than anybody else on the court with them at the same time.

Three guys who were mismatch/invert your offense nightmares. Nobody short of a Joel Embiid or a Malcolm Brogdon could hope to guard any of them.
As good as that team was, it was two Naz miracles from being 9-9 in conference.

That trio was special because of the high usage, high efficiency combination. Sure they inverted, but it wasn’t because of good shooting. Five guys shot around 30% in conference play, including for the forwards. I think Wigginton, NWB, Shayok, THT, and Talley could shoot that and be just as good getting past their defender.

We discussed it in another thread, but it’s the efficiency that made them so good even though they shot poorly on 3Ps. In other words Hoiball. That team took 3Ps or good twos, and passed the ball. Despite shooting 31% on 3Ps (37% this year btw), their effective and true shooting were higher do to the better 2P FG% and 3P attempt rate and more FTA and FTM. More assists, too.

If you plug in Shayok’s career numbers for DJ and use Morris’s numbers for THT next year is still better 3P shooting than 2013-14. NWB’s numbers compare favorably to Kane’s junior season.

How do we get more efficient next year, particularly the high usage guys not named Lard? That and defense are the limiting factors, as asset wise there are more paths to success in terms of styles of play. Shot-selection, ball and off-ball movement, and team defense are largely reflections of coaching imo.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Can't help but be reminded of a year ago when Iowa fans were all giddy about being near the top of the B1G this year. Now we are wearing the cardinal-colored glasses! However, I think there are a few major differences. Most important we have Prohm and staff versus Fran and his restrainers/maintainers of civility. (Seriously, what image comes to mind when you think of Iowa's assistants?) Second, we have a better recruiting class coming. Third, we have Shayok and Jacobsen as experienced players with a year already as part of our team.

Admittedly, we will have one of the most difficult schedules again next year what with Maui and since the Big 12 has become regularly the first or second toughest conference with the ACC. So we could be pretty darned good but still be challenged to get 20 wins next year. I think those saying 9-9 in conference probably have it about right. Obviously if the team does better we will be PLEASANTLY surprised and then watch out for 2019/2020!!!!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My "If's" for next year include - If Wigs and Lard return.. If everyone has a healthy off season.. If we get constancy at the point guard spot..

All those come true and my expectations are to be 6 or better seed.

With that 6 seed or better, we could/would play in Des Moines. All aboard the hype train because then the dream scenario of a Sweet 16/Elite 8 in KC at the Sprint center.. Final 4 in Minneapolis comes true

I like the availability of that total-Midwest path, but I disagree about 6 seeding getting us to DM. Probably have to be at least a 4 seed to land there --- more ideally, at 3. And if it's a 4/5, I could see ISU going to Tulsa instead or being moved to Salt Lake City. All this also depends on which other teams are in that seed range, of course.

Any reasonable path that leads to KC would be cool, too.

At this point, I'm cautious about expectation, and I'm not confident we'll be seeded that high.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Can't help but be reminded of a year ago when Iowa fans were all giddy about being near the top of the B1G this year. Now we are wearing the cardinal-colored glasses! However, I think there are a few major differences. Most important we have Prohm and staff versus Fran and his restrainers/maintainers of civility. (Seriously, what image comes to mind when you think of Iowa's assistants?) Second, we have a better recruiting class coming. Third, we have Shayok and Jacobsen as experienced players with a year already as part of our team.

Admittedly, we will have one of the most difficult schedules again next year what with Maui and since the Big 12 has become regularly the first or second toughest conference with the ACC. So we could be pretty darned good but still be challenged to get 20 wins next year. I think those saying 9-9 in conference probably have it about right. Obviously if the team does better we will be PLEASANTLY surprised and then watch out for 2019/2020!!!!

While not popular, I agree that cautious optimism is the way to go. Iowa is a good example of what multiple players returning doesn't always work out. Might also include Oklahoma in that comparison. Heck, I thought they would be top 3 of the big12, with so many talented pieces back plus adding a lottery point guard. Definitely hoping the experience of Shayok and Jacobsen add a lot.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Also, with my first response, I didn't intend to trample all over your enthusiasm. :) Just noting realistic scenarios that might arise, based on how tournament seedings and placement tend to settle.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Next's year team will be something unique we haven't had in a really long time:

3 legit big men who've put up numbers in power5 leagues.

2 nba-potential returning freshman

2 proven transfers, again who've put up numbers in legit leagues.

1 senior who, if healthy, is a potential triple double every game.

2/4 freshman class that is physically ready to contribute day one.

and lastly, to me its almost funny. we're taking a last place in the b12, putting together a top8/9 guys, and it doesn't even include a 6'6" 220 stud athlete who made so many 3's this summer he got offered by KU.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It was a major rebuild year after losing a stellar graduating class and having some gaps in the lineup due to recruiting misses (insert your chosen coaching scapegoats here) and yet we were competitive in most games ... and even beat several ranked opponents and bagged a tournament early on. Next year we will have experienced talent, depth, and even more talent infusions. We will win about 20 +/- and finish in the top 5 in the conference. We will be fun to watch and get back to the tournament. The year after next we will be in the top 3 in the conference with a chance to do much more. Regarding this year ... I continue to truly enjoy watching this team and love the heart and effort they gave against TOP NOTCH competition night after night. These guys are a great group of warriors.

The youngsters are learning (gawd I hope so anyway) from the losses what it takes to consistently compete at this level. One of the keys is for the leaders to emerge and take control and make sure all the guys are doing the right things for their development. It's hard to replace senior leadership but hoping a few emerge and grab this thing by the throat!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Might also include Oklahoma in that comparison. Heck, I thought they would be top 3 of the big12, with so many talented pieces back plus adding a lottery point guard.

Kruger hasn't found a good balance of returning potential/experience (and there was a good share of both) with infusion of a one-and-done 5-star. I suppose it isn't simple to combine those. National leader in scoring and assists, you want to take advantage of that. But it may have diminished team-wide roles and impact too much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron