Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor breweries 2018

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I'll start this by saying that I'm no longer going to try to keep up with what is going on in Iowa City/Coralville, so if anyone else wants to do a writeup on that area, have at it.

Cedar Rapids:

- Backpocket Pilot Pub - I visited this place twice when it first opened, and then again late last summer. By the late summer visit, their food standards had fallen and there was a very reduced (in offerings) food menu. Same things on tap. This pub was established to be a small brewery where Backpocket could have a few experimental offering (beer wise). Believe it has failed in that mission.

- Clocktower Brewery - apparently a back room bar at the very large 'Black Sheep Social Club' (a restaurant). As of this writing, they are in their infantcy and has just opened. I haven't visited, and know of no one who has, so cannot comment about the beer which is apparaently also available to those who dine at Black Sheep.

- Iowa Brewing Company - Their beers are much better than when they first opened. They are expanding their production and at this point is probably the largest production facility in Cedar Rapids.

- Lion Bridge Brewing - Though they have remained consistent and stable, they too are now adding more brewing capacity to their brewery. For a while, another brewer who has some local brewing cache was also using their facilities. I don't know if that alliance continues.

- Quarterbarrel Brewery - Their prices keep escalating, and while I found a beer of theirs that I felt was marginally good, it wasn't good enough to keep returning for. I think they still do sell a lot of their own beer. But it is hard to tell if they make their real money on their own beer; the large selection of beers that you probabally can't get anywhere else in Cedar Rapids; from their large collection of working old style arcade games; or from their overpriced and undersized food offerings.

- Third Base Brewery and Eatery - Though I have never liked most of their basic beers, they do continue to experiment and put out some very incredible beers. The latest is an Oatmeal Imperial Stout with a 13%Abv. Early samples tasted a lot like barley wine. Later samples have the oatmeal profile taking over.

- Turner Alley of course has been closed for a year +/-.

- Another Road Brewing (Marion). The Marion location where they spent a lot of money revitalizing an old building, is closed. My understanding is that there is still brewing happening at their Cedar Rapids brewing facility, but I don't know if that is under the Another Road name, or a contract to a more successful brewer, or is simply brewing being done by the former owners for their own consumption.

Solon
- Big Grove brewery soldiers on quite successfully in Solon Iowa, but has opened a quite successful location in Iowa City/Coralville.

- Stone City Brewing (always located in Solon) Is a brewery that was once active in Solon with a tasting room and brewery. Nearly every year since the closure of this brewery, its former owner/brewmaster has brewed his 'Aaahh Bock' at some eastern Iowa brewery. This year is no different. Both Iowa Brewing Company and Backpocket Brewing have invited him in to brew his beer, and to perform, 'The Blessing of the Bock' comedic ritual at their breweries. Saturday Feb 24 was the ritual at Iowa Brewing Company. I believe the ritual at Backpocket in Iowa City/Coralville is set for March (contact Backpocket).

Amana
- Millstream, the oldest brewery in Iowa, continues on mostly unchanged. Their increased capacity and new bottler have helped improve their product. They did purchase the Colony Inn last year. After a small remodel there, the restaurant is open again. The sample room at the brewery is also still open (in season).

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: Messi and Cyczech

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Backpocket has a tasting room in Crapids that I like to go to for the food firstly and the beer is pretty good too

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Backpocket has a tasting room in Crapids that I like to go to for the food firstly and the beer is pretty good too

The food and beer is good but the service is a little hit/miss. One example: I went there a couple weeks ago and 3 cooks were sitting at the bar on their break still in their uniform watching a game and eating dinner. I found that kind of tacky.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The food and beer is good but the service is a little hit/miss. One example: I went there a couple weeks ago and 3 cooks were sitting at the bar on their break still in their uniform watching a game and eating dinner. I found that kind of tacky.
Oh if you can get passed the hipster d-bag wait staff the food I feel like is worth it. Totally agree on the service though, i tend to go at not peak hours though because my work schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: cc1091 and Messi

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like Iowa Brewing and Lion Bridge a lot. Lion Bridge's chanterelle mushroom porter was amazing.
I’ve worked the craft beer tent at the fair for a long time and Lion Bridge Workman’s Comp is a big seller.

AgronoCy

Aug 25, 2017
"Clocktower" is actually Clock House just FYI. I have had a decent amount of their beers and I highly recommend.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Lions Bridge is still the best in town.

We went to Clock House once and thought all of their beers were great and recommend it.

I'e Bern to Iowa Brewery once and liked it, however my wife didn't. I found their bottles hit and miss though.

I like Quarter Barrel, however their beers are hit and miss as well. I recall they had a fantastic stout the last time I was there months ago.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Saw this is opening this spring/summer
http://www.thewbrew.com/

Interesting location on the west side of the river. Not a ton of foot traffic over there

Thanks Messi - I knew there was supposed to be a new brewery in the so called "Kingston Village", but had no further info. I will bring this brewery up by name with those I know locally who are brewers. They always have some valuable insight.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis

A former cook at Backpocket told me that it was not unusual for the staff to be drinking free at the bar. He also said something about some of the illicit relationships going on between a couple of the staff members. It was not a good working scenario given the duties this couple were supposed to be doing. To me, it explained a lot about the often lackadaisical service. Anyhow, I mostly hope Backpocket CR goes away.

On the plus side, I did actually hear that a beer was brewed using the equipment in Cedar Rapids. Until then, I was unaware of their brewing equipment being used for anything but display purposes.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
"Clocktower" is actually Clock House just FYI. I have had a decent amount of their beers and I highly recommend.

You are correct. Thanks for the correction. I will try to make it over.

Very interesting. I know that the people I know in the industry try to visit the other places where beer is produced. I know one of those people was going to try to make it there on his birthday, but instead only made it to Lion Bridge and Iowa Brewing before they went for Pizza. Its very unusual for both these guys to know little to nothing about a particular brewery in the 'local' (eastern Iowa to Central Iowa) brewing scene. Particularly about a brewery in their own 'back yard'.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I'e Bern to Iowa Brewery once and liked it, however my wife didn't. I found their bottles hit and miss though.

I had already forgotten that they were bottling. I have not seen any of it in the stores. And with the experience that Millstream has had with their bottles, I'm not sure why anyone with budget constraints would consider bottling over canning. Those automated bottle cappers have huge issues. And since Tallgrass has had such great success in providing a fresh and stable product in cans, I would think everyone would be going that direction.

BTW- Third Base is offering Crowlers... I believe this is a different Crowler machine than what Iowa Brewing used to have.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Coralville has ReUnion, in the old Mondo's location (don't know where the actual brewing is done). Their IPA is ok, and I've tried a few others but haven't been terribly impressed. Food is good, I don't know that it's much different than when it was Mondo's. There is also Backpocket in the Iowa River Landing area, next to the Marriot -- some people like the food, but the service is meh and the beer is just ok. All IMHO of course.

Iowa City only has that new Big Grove location. I prefer the food and service in Solon, but they are different beasts to begin with.

If you go a bit farther south to Kalona, the Kalona Brewery makes some pretty good stuff -- the lager and the doppelbock are nice, off the top of my head. I don't know how widely distributed it is outside of eastern Iowa. I've never been down there so I don't know how fun it is to visit.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think the new Big Grove is the best thing in Iowa City/Coralville by a country mile.

I do like a lot of Backpocket's beer, but wasn't terribly impressed with the Coralville tap room.

Kalona Brewing is a nice spot. Some solid beers, and really good food. We have family friends down there, so I stop in when visiting them.

• Agree
Reactions: CysRage

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
My favorites for CR are Iowa Brewing and Big Grove. There is a big gap between those two and anyone else IMO. Third Base is probably my third favorite. Lion’s Bridge is good, but way too expensive.

The rest of them in Eastern Iowa are just ok, except for Millstream, which is complete garbage.

Gonna try Franklin Street in Manchester this weekend. Also went to Pivo, Pulpit Rock, and TG’s new tap room last Saturday. Pivo is already great.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
my buddy started Iowa Brewing, he was investor in Great Divide Brewery in Denver where he lives. His family is from CR though & starting this up allows him to visit more frequently. The new Fongs Pizza 2 blocks away should be good for bring your own food/delivery there...

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
my buddy started Iowa Brewing, he was investor in Great Divide Brewery in Denver where he lives. His family is from CR though & starting this up allows him to visit more frequently. The new Fongs Pizza 2 blocks away should be good for bring your own food/delivery there...

Really excited about the CR fongs. Heard a ton of good stuff about the DSM one, but I've never had it.