Hinterland 2018

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Can't recommend Chvrches enough for those who enjoy indie rock / synth rock. They put on a great live performance.

Definitely appealing in a different level for those not in to the faux-Indie/post adult contemporary stuff that usually fuels this type of festival.I was hoping for From Indian Lakes in this space but I like chvrches too.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not yet. I think they do it a little closer - I'm guessing they are trying to get people to preorder before they split it out, to get the maximum number of two-day passes sold?

Yeah, I'm going to hold off until I see who is playing when. Last year worked out so well with everyone I wanted to see on Saturday except the Head and the Heart that I'm hoping for a similar setup this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, I'm going to hold off until I see who is playing when. Last year worked out so well with everyone I wanted to see on Saturday except the Head and the Heart that I'm hoping for a similar setup this year.

Same here. I for sure can't get off work all day on Friday, so I'd ideally like if Saturday lined up perfectly!

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
There has been a free shuttle in the past that is reasonably efficient and very free.

3 years ago it left from Waterworks Park and 2 years ago from Southridge Mall. Didn't go last year, so not sure if this is still a thing, but if so its a great option.
Not free anymore they started charging, you can also purchase that through Ticketfly. I think it is $10, but well worth and Uber to a $10 shuttle....

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've been upset that Strugill's Hoyt Sherman concert lined up with Game 7 of the Cubs World Series for some time now. I'm glad I'll get a chance to see him again.

Reactions: Bret44 and Angie

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I've been upset that Strugill's Hoyt Sherman concert lined up with Game 7 of the Cubs World Series for some time now. I'm glad I'll get a chance to see him again.
I hit the concert and caught the extra innings, trust me it was thought to not pay attention to the game during the concert

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Looking forward to this year. For anyone with Google Play Music, I put together a playlist with all songs from the bands in the lineup here.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
While I feel sorry for those of you who missed Sturgill's Hoyt Sherman performance, I would absolutely recommend buying passes to see him at Hinterland. His band alone makes the price of both nights worth it.

• Friendly

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

I was in the same boat. Can't say I regret missing the concert thought. I first saw him when he opened for Dwight at the Surf. Talk about a great concert.

• Winner

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This will be my first year, so I have a couple questions I'm hoping you vets can help me with:

Any chance tickets sell out? Our youngest daughter will be having surgery at some point this summer, but it wont be scheduled until April. I don't really want to buy tickets until I know when her surgery will be scheduled. Would waiting until April to buy tickets pose any risk? Same for a camping spot?

Is there a way to just buy Saturday tickets? The wife likely wouldn't make it Friday but would come Saturday.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This will be my first year, so I have a couple questions I'm hoping you vets can help me with:

Any chance tickets sell out? Our youngest daughter will be having surgery at some point this summer, but it wont be scheduled until April. I don't really want to buy tickets until I know when her surgery will be scheduled. Would waiting until April to buy tickets pose any risk? Same for a camping spot?

Is there a way to just buy Saturday tickets? The wife likely wouldn't make it Friday but would come Saturday.

I think tickets were still available right up until the week of the show last year, but I could be mistaken. I wouldn't worry about tickets being available in April because by then people are still firming up their summer plans, but it's something to keep an eye on. Just follow them on Facebook or Twitter to keep updated.

As for passes, you can buy two day and single day passes. A lot of attendees will wait to buy tickets and get the single day pass once the festival releases the schedule. Last year every act I wanted to see played Saturday, so I just did the single day pass.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Your answers are "no" and "yes."

So, it's a HUGE area. Last year had sold (I think) more tickets than ever before, but they were still available. April should be more than fine.

By then, they'll most likely have announced the schedule - they usually make single-day passes available at that time. I'm waiting for that, just because I have to work on Friday and can't take it off this year, so I want to see if it's worth it for me to pay for that day depending on the lineup. I don't think you should have a problem at all.

Reactions: Clonefan32

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
It's a ways away still, but I am so pumped for this! A couple buddies and I went for the first time last year, and had an amazing experience. Will probably be going from here on out. Love the atmosphere, and the setting is great.

I started making a spotify playlist with all the band's to familiarize myself with some of the ones I don't know as well.

Question: with this getting bigger, does this get moved to a bigger venue to support bigger crowds? I hope it stays, because the camping and small feel make it fun.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've done some sleuthing. Looks like Rateliff is on Saturday night (check August 4 tour date):

http://www.nathanielrateliff.com/tour/

Also, my bestie and her husband marked that they are interested in seeing a Band of Horses show in Illinois that same night, so they must be headlining Friday night, and Sturgill Simpson on Saturday:

http://www.bandofhorses.com/tour/

That's exactly what I was hoping to see, as I was okay with missing Friday depending on lineup (as I've already seen BoH, and don't care a whole ton about Chvrches, who are confirmed for Friday LINK).

EDIT:

More sleuthing. Well, crap, I may still need to hit Friday.

J Roddy will be on 8/3 rather than 8/4: https://www.jroddywalstonandthebusiness.com/tour/

Margo Price on 8/3: http://margoprice.net/tour/

Blackberry Smoke on 8/3: https://www.blackberrysmoke.com/tour/

Last edited: