WVU @KU on ESPN

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Over / Under wins for KU in the tourney. I'm going with 1.5. They just aren't that good this year and won't survive without their refs. I'd go with 1 if I didn't know they'd be overrated and over-seeded to get a cupcake first game.

• Winner
Reactions: cymac2408
D

Deleted member 8507

Looking at the shot chart, KU was 14-22 in the paint, WVU was 7-14. So, yes, KU took 8 more shots in the paint which MIGHT lead to 8 more fouls (12 foul difference) but I still find the +33 FT to be inexplicable.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Looking at the shot chart, KU was 14-22 in the paint, WVU was 7-14. So, yes, KU took 8 more shots in the paint which MIGHT lead to 8 more fouls (12 foul difference) but I still find the +33 FT to be inexplicable.

AFH and **** refs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Even the shot chart can be misleading. Take it into the paint and get mauled without the foul getting called often enough, and a team is going to start taking their attempts elsewhere. The final chart might look different if the fouls were being called.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

8 of those FTs came in the last 30 seconds

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Even the shot chart can be misleading. Take it into the paint and get mauled without the foul getting called often enough, and a team is going to start taking their attempts elsewhere. The final chart might look different if the fouls were being called.

You guys realize that a team can go to the line without being fouled in the act of shooting, right? College basketball has what’s known as the bonus when 7 fouls are reached in a half.

The shot chart isn’t going to tell the whole story, especially when WVU doesn’t limit their maulings to shooting fouls.

• Funny
Reactions: RonBurgundy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
A KU fan complaining about a whining coach? Good grief. If Huggins is the #1 whiner working the refs, Self is a close #2.
Not #2 but probably Top 10. Coach K is #2 and Cal is bad if things aren't going his way. Bruce Weber is a major whiner as well, but magnified since his high pitched shrill voice cuts through the arena and everyone notices it more.

But Self is no dummy; he knows how to work the refs. And that's the point. That's what Huggins is doing. He's working the refs to get calls to go in his favor in the future.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Uh, that is the text book definition of a moving screen. Svi wasn't the person defending Konate; he is trying to follow Carter and Konate chucks him. Konate tries to sell it with a lame, deliberate ploy to try to act like he is posting Svi up to try to avoid a foul call for doing something that is breaking the rules, which is deliberately stopping Svi from guarding Carter as Carter races for the corner to get the ball and hopefully an open shot.

WVU has been taught a zillion of these little tricks to try to skirt the rules. Watch them after a made basket; they deliberately mess with the ball to try to give themselves a few extra seconds to set up their press and get away with delay of game probably 15 times a game. They are schooled by their head coach in all these little ways to cheat and get away with breaking the rules, which in my book makes it a hundred times more disingenuous to hear Huggins whining about the refs.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't remember anyone complaining about the fix being in when WVU had 47 FT attempts to KU's 21 two years ago in Morgantown.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Uh, that is the text book definition of a moving screen. Svi wasn't the person defending Konate; he is trying to follow Carter and Konate chucks him. Konate tries to sell it with a lame, deliberate ploy to try to act like he is posting Svi up to try to avoid a foul call for doing something that is breaking the rules, which is deliberately stopping Svi from guarding Carter as Carter races for the corner to get the ball and hopefully an open shot.

WVU has been taught a zillion of these little tricks to try to skirt the rules. Watch them after a made basket; they deliberately mess with the ball to try to give themselves a few extra seconds to set up their press and get away with delay of game probably 15 times a game. They are schooled by their head coach in all these little ways to cheat and get away with breaking the rules, which in my book makes it a hundred times more disingenuous to hear Huggins whining about the refs.

Surly has a negative basketball IQ. Don't act like your surprised...

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Surly has a negative basketball IQ. Don't act like your surprised...
I am not surprised, I am amused. Anyone watching that who follows the sport at all should be able to sniff out what Konate did in 2 seconds. The overselling of the post position makes it even more obvious that this is a taught maneuver to deliberately free Carter. Watch a full WVU game on DVR and you will see 100 cases similar to these. They do everything possible to skirt the rules.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You do understand that shots that are not made but where a foul is called do NOT get tracked as a shot attempt, right? KU took way more than 22 shots in the paint; they were just hacked on a huge number of them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron