Cyclone Recruits State Tournament Results

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Is Hagan being recruited heavily? I know he is a junior but hadn't heard much about him before the state tournament. Looking forward to his match with Duggan!

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Watching Alex Thomsen is stupid (in the most complimentary way).
The Council Bluffs Nonpareil had an article on Thomsen, including an 11 minute video, before the state tournament. The video includes most if not all of the rematch with Teske, which Thomsen won 10-8 in overtime. Thomsen’s coach at Underwood, Joe Stephens, wrestled at Nebraska and was an assistant at UNI when Mark Manning was there, or before Manning took the job at Nebraska.

Early on, Thomsen was ahead of the curve
http://www.nonpareilonline.com/spor...cle_e5c93d70-1148-11e8-8899-4bb71e2a48d6.html

• Informative
Reactions: csteve

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The Council Bluffs Nonpareil had an article on Thomsen, including an 11 minute video, before the state tournament. The video includes most if not all of the rematch with Teske, which Thomsen won 10-8 in overtime. Thomsen’s coach at Underwood, Joe Stephens, wrestled at Nebraska and was an assistant at UNI when Mark Manning was there, or before Manning took the job at Nebraska.

Early on, Thomsen was ahead of the curve
http://www.nonpareilonline.com/spor...cle_e5c93d70-1148-11e8-8899-4bb71e2a48d6.html

He looks bored out there. The kid he wrestled in the semis was 40-5. It was as though he wasn’t even there. Thomsen may as well have been shadow wrestling.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
In a perfect world...after the finals wrap up tonight, they would leave the middle championship mat out there and we'd get the Teske-Thomsen rubber match. Now that would be a lot of fun.

Both guys will barely a sweat in their match tonight anyways. Just at a different level. Unreal.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
In a perfect world...after the finals wrap up tonight, they would leave the middle championship mat out there and we'd get the Teske-Thomsen rubber match. Now that would be a lot of fun.

Both guys will barely a sweat in their match tonight anyways. Just at a different level. Unreal.

I definitely want to see this. Let's find out who the best wrestler actually is at each weight in the state, and not just the best wrestler for each class. Same goes for basketball IMO. You can never have a "Hoosiers" story happen in Iowa where a team from the smaller class beats the team from the largest class.

Also, when are they going to start seeding this wrestling tourney? It's a complete joke the way it is now. You have the #3 kid in the state going up against the #1 kid in the state in the first round. Now that's not only stupid, but completely unfair. I heard there's a case this year where the #1 through #5 ranked kids are all on the same side of the bracket. So if all the best wrestlers from each side of the bracket made the finals, you'd have a #1 vs #6 matchup in the finals.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I definitely want to see this. Let's find out who the best wrestler actually is at each weight in the state, and not just the best wrestler for each class. Same goes for basketball IMO. You can never have a "Hoosiers" story happen in Iowa where a team from the smaller class beats the team from the largest class.

Also, when are they going to start seeding this wrestling tourney? It's a complete joke the way it is now. You have the #3 kid in the state going up against the #1 kid in the state in the first round. Now that's not only stupid, but completely unfair. I heard there's a case this year where the #1 through #5 ranked kids are all on the same side of the bracket. So if all the best wrestlers from each side of the bracket made the finals, you'd have a #1 vs #6 matchup in the finals.

I like it. Great matchups every round. Little coasting until finals. Maybe a kid after the champ ends up a spot lower. I don't see that as a huge deal. It's unique in that way. All that said I wouldn't at all be against some seeding.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So Joel Shapiro and Francis Duggan both finished as state champions. Anthony Sherry’s plans were foiled earlier by fellow future Cyclone Shapiro, and finished 3rd. Hunter DeJong was pinned in his finals match and finished 2nd. Grant Stotts of West Des Moines Valley finished 4th.

[Edited to add Isaac Judge, see post immediately following this one, who also finished 1st.]

Congratulations to all!

ISU Recruits - Final Results

152 Isaac Judge (South Tama, 2A), 1st
152 Grant Stotts (WDM Valley, 3A), 4th
182 Joel Shapiro (WDM Valley, 3A), 1st
182 Anthony Sherry (Glenwood, 3A), 3rd
195 Hunter DeJong (Sibley-Ocheyeden, 1A), 2nd
220 Francis Duggan (IC West, 3A), 1st

Note
The brackets at the Register’s website, linked below, are very easy to use.

The link is for Mobile brackets (I think there is a different one for Desktop):

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/iowa-high-school-wrestling-results/mobile/index.html

Going to Individual brackets for 3A, 220, and clicking on Francis Duggan, for example, gives me the information below, a simple copy and paste, to here:

Francis Duggan
Iowa City West, SR

Round 1
Def. Isaiah Garman (Linn-Mar, Marion, SR)

Fall 0:39

Quarterfinals
Def. Jaden Heiden (Denison-Schleswig, SR)

TF 4:12 21-6

Semifinals
Def. Drake Leek (Norwalk, SR)

MD 16-7

Final
Def. Greg Hagan (Dowling Catholic, JR)

MD 13-4

Joel Shapiro
West Des Moines Valley, SR

Round 1
Def. Trever Maiers (Dubuque Hempstead, JR)

TF 2:59 17-0

Quarterfinals
Def. Anthony Sherry (Glenwood, SR)

5-0

Semifinals
Def. Joey Mitchell (Ottumwa, SR)

Fall 4:09

Final
Def. Brandon Tessau (Waukee, SR)

8-2

Anthony Sherry
Glenwood, SR

Round 1
Def. Zach Needham (Dallas Center-Grimes, SO)

TF 5:47 19-4

Quarterfinals
Lost to Joel Shapiro (West Des Moines Valley, SR)

5-0

Consolation Round 2
Def. Will Hoeft (Iowa City West, SO)

Fall 3:41

Consolation Round 3
Def. Devin Ludwig (Epworth, Western Dubuque, JR)

11-10

Consolation Round 4
Def. Derek Horak (Cedar Rapids Prairie, SR)

MD 12-2

Third place match
Def. Zach Needham (Dallas Center-Grimes, SO)

MD 12-3

Hunter Dejong
Sibley-Ocheyedan, SR

Round 1
Def. Evan Mann (Pleasantville, SR)

Fall 0:53

Quarterfinals
Def. Jake Jennett (Lisbon, SR)

9-3

Semifinals
Def. Hunter Hagen (West Hancock, SR)

11-7

Final
Lost to Tanner Sloan (Alburnett, SR)

Fall 3:18

Grant Stotts
West Des Moines Valley, SR

Round 1
Def. Eric Steele (Sioux City East, SR)

Fall 5:37

Quarterfinals
Lost to Harlan Steffensmeier (Fort Madison, SR)

6-2

Consolation Round 2
Def. Luke Deinhart (Mason City, SR)

Fall 1:41

Consolation Round 3
Def. Cade Moss (Johnston, JR)

Fall 5:19

Consolation Round 4
Def. Lanny Herzog (Council Bluffs Lincoln, SR)

Fall 1:10

Third place match
Lost to Lance Runyon (Southeast Polk, JR)

5-2

Final Team Scores

Class 3A
1. Fort Dodge 144
2. Waukee 139
3. Southeast Polk, 134.5
4. West Des Moines Valley, 106.5
5. Glenwood, 76.5
6. Johnston, 74.5
7. Iowa City West, 73.5
8. Iowa City High, 71
9. Dubuque Hempstead, 67
10. Perry, 59

Class 2A
1. Wahlert, Dubuque, 94
2. NHTV, 80
3. South Tama County, 75
4. Ballard, 69
5. PCM, 62.5
6. Centerville, 59
6. (tie) West Liberty, 59
8. Assumption, Davenport, 48
9. Webster City, 46
10. Atlantic-CAM, 45.5

Class 1A
1. Lisbon, 127.5
2. Don Bosco-Gilbertville, 121
3. Denver, 86
4. Wapsie Valley, Fairbanks, 66.5
5. Underwood, 58
6. Martensdale-St. Marys, 57
6. (tie) Missouri Valley, 57
8. Woodbury Central, Moville, 51
9. Logan-Magnolia, 50
9. (tie) West Sioux, 50

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Whoops. I left out Isaac Judge, at 152 from South Tama (2A) who I learned in this thread is also a future Cyclone.

Congratulations to Isaac on finishing HS an Iowa State champion!

Isaac Judge
South Tama, SR

Round 1
Def. Roberto Cardenas (Sioux Center, JR)

Fall 1:49

Quarterfinals
Def. Dylan Koresh (Charles City, JR)

MD 11-3

Semifinals
Def. Joe Kelly (West Liberty, SR)

4-1

Final
Def. Kyler Rieck (Spirit Lake Park, JR)

5-0

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
He looks bored out there. The kid he wrestled in the semis was 40-5. It was as though he wasn’t even there. Thomsen may as well have been shadow wrestling.
I don’t know, maybe he is, but I think Alex might want to work more on actually pinning people. I think probably some times in the past he didn’t when he might have, to get a better workout.

Last edited:

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I wasn't as familiar of Joel Shapiro as many of you. After this weekend I am incredibly excited about his potential at Iowa State.

Reactions: csteve

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The only reason Sherry finished 3rd because he got beat by Shapiro in the quarterfinals?
It is impossible to know for sure. You still have to wrestle the matches. It is well known though that the state tournament isn’t seeded. Had it been, it is a virtual certainty that the number 1 and number 2 ranked wrestlers, Shapiro and Sherry, would have been on opposite sides of the bracket. They then would not have met until the finals, had they both otherwise won out, instead of in the second round. The highest place Sherry could attain after the loss was third, which he did, by winning all the rest of his matches. I believe I read that Sherry lost a couple of matches during the season, but I also read that he was injured.

Last edited: