*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Kansas State Gameday Thread ***

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
What we are seeing this year does remind me of those McD years where PG was at best a gray area, but usually just a black hole. Bryan Peterson, Mike Taylor (more of a poor man's Wigginton), and Chris Colvin (bust). I know we've been spoiled dating back to Garrett's SR. year with good-great PG play, but Prohm is gonna have to turn a mountain back into a molehill next year, even with the roster coming back.
A healthy Weiler-Babb is much better than anything out there during the McDermott era. Assuming he can get fully healthy this offseason I feel pretty good about the PG position.

CardinalCy

Jul 25, 2017
If you look at this teams main bench players other than Talley , beverly, long, Lewis, Brase, there lays one of the major problems

Reactions: CyBobby

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Terrence Lewis into the game about 10 minutes too late.

I'm not seeing anything that Beverly brings to the table that Lewis can't make possible. Just as well give him some time

I didn't see the game today, so not sure what Lewis could have done, and who knows what things look like in practice, but if he's someone who provides at least more athleticism I have no idea why he's not in to get in the flow of the game and just 'play' instead of spending 2 minutes thinking and getting pulled when the other team scores.

Tough that ISU got spanked again today...I'm giving Prohm a definite pass this season as it's going about as expected and worse with injuries. If there's not much improvement next season with how the team operates in general, concern is warranted.

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Can we give it a break on Prohm is the problem. When your 2 best shooters are throwing up bricks, you can't blame the coach. As for defense, the guys just shut down Trae Young about as well as anyone. So, we know they can play defense.

To me, for what its worth (which isn't much), the problem with this team is lack of leadership - a Melvin Ejim, a Naz Long, etc. With such a young team, a leader on the floor becomes critically important. We will have a very big jump is talent next year, but we will need a leader to emerge. That will tell the story of next year's team.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Can we give it a break on Prohm is the problem. When your 2 best shooters are throwing up bricks, you can't blame the coach. As for defense, the guys just shut down Trae Young about as well as anyone. So, we know they can play defense.

To me, for what its worth (which isn't much), the problem with this team is lack of leadership - a Melvin Ejim, a Naz Long, etc. With such a young team, a leader on the floor becomes critically important. We will have a very big jump is talent next year, but we will need a leader to emerge. That will tell the story of next year's team.
Yep, they're missing leadership and discipline. Every road game they seem to stay in it for awhile, but as soon as any adversity hits, the offense gets stagnant, they lose confidence, and then the defensive effort tanks.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
How, did our experience level get this poor? Clearly, the Hoiberg players were going to be gone in two years, and the cupboard was going to be bare. It's like Prohm is only now seeing the need for recruitment.

Previous staff was big on transfers. This one prefers four year players, but also wanted a foundation of success, so we went for a couple grad transfers while Monte came back and Naz got the extra year.

So there was going to be transition point, but it turned out to be a really large one. As luck would have it, the Big 12 has the best balance top to bottom ever. Literally like playing 19 tournament teams in a row with an ultra inexperienced team.

We have huge building blocks in place, experienced help coming, and a great incoming class. Take a deep breath, the future is bright.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Those wishing McNeil were here, sure that'd be great for depth. But to think he'd be playing any more than Long or Lewis is probably asinine.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Justion and McNeil would have put this team in the tourney this year, too bad Prohm didn't have the funds available to sign them.
Juiston would've been a big help. McNeil is a terribly inefficient player . As of a game ago I know he was shooting under 30% from the field in conference play. Putting up 10-3-3 per game with the ball in his hands a lot, playing lots of mins on a hot garbage team.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you look at this teams main bench players other than Talley , beverly, long, Lewis, Brase, there lays one of the major problems

Talley is not even a bench player anymore. The first guy off the bench for us is either Long or Beverly. Neither of them are even fringe Big 12 players.

I guess Nick is working his way back, but he is still limited.

I like our first six (starters + NWB). I really do. We just have nothing behind them and Nick has been hurt. We lose one, but hopefully put up 3-4 new ones for next year.

That gives us a net of 7-9. That should turn things around.

Yep, they're missing leadership and discipline. Every road game they seem to stay in it for awhile, but as soon as any adversity hits, the offense gets stagnant, they lose confidence, and then the defensive effort tanks.

I have said this before, but none of the guys we have now strike me as that Melvin or Naz sort of leader. I hope Shayok or somebody like Horton-Tucker comes in and makes this their team. Take over the pride. We knew it was Melvin's team, Georges' team, and Naz's team all those seasons. I do not know who that is now. Somebody better want that mantle.

Juiston would've been a big help. McNeil is a terribly inefficient player . As of a game ago I know he was shooting under 30% from the field in conference play. Putting up 10-3-3 per game with the ball in his hands a lot, playing lots of mins on a hot garbage team.

I don't think we will end up missing McNeill much.

Juiston and Brown, however, and we are an NCAA tournament team.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
How is everyone feeling about PG next year? I think to be our best, Wigginton has to be they guy (just has to take better care of the ball).

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How is everyone feeling about PG next year? I think to be our best, Wigginton has to be they guy (just has to take better care of the ball).
In that regard, to be our best THT, Shayok, Zion, and Jacobson are all so good that they beat out the returning guys.

Did you see our offense in the first 10 minutes today? Wigginton has a ways to go to be a pg. It would be great for any player to make that much improvement.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
McNeill sucks. Would not have made much of any difference for this years team.
He’s not efficient, but is shooting only 1% worse than Wigginton. McNeil’s 3P shooting is an average 35%. Of course, Wigginton is shooting well on 3Ps and struggling on 2Ps as he takes forced shots.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron