Another big pile up on I35

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This. I don't have the statistics available but interstate and highway major injuries and fatalities have decreased since installing the high tension cables. We had someone from the DOT speak about these barriers in one of my classes at ISU.

And minor crashes, number of wreaks, total value? They probably didn't mention those stats.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Agree with that also. You'll never see me with damage to the front of my car in a situation like this....unless someone spun me around and I got hit while facing the other way or something. I'm one of those guys that everyone probably hates because I give so much room in front during bad road conditions.

So in other words you are one of the few people who drives properly.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
All the while they get right on your bumper and call you all kinds of names. Just watch interstate traffic from the right lane for awhile. The cars travel in packs. There will be big gaps and then 5-20 cars will all be right on each others bumper mostly passing in the left lane. There is just a certain larger percentage of drivers who have to be behind someone. I rode with my college roommate to college a few times and he certainly fit that profile. Yikes.

This is also a problem. Some people zone out and just like to follow, whatever the speed.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
What the heck. Did everyone just see the forecast for 45 degrees and choose to not see the snow?

HighOnCy

Jan 6, 2009
Kansas City
And minor crashes, number of wreaks, total value? They probably didn't mention those stats.
Before any roadside safety device is implemented, tens of millions of dollars is spent on real world crash testing and analysis. This includes identifying the ideal location within the median to protect both bounds of traffic. Cost benefit analysis are run against the severity of potential accidents (fatalities, for example) versus increased number of property damage only incidents. Over 90% of the crash testing done on roadside safety devices are tested at UNL.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Before any roadside safety device is implemented, tens of millions of dollars is spent on real world crash testing and analysis. This includes identifying the ideal location within the median to protect both bounds of traffic. Cost benefit analysis are run against the severity of potential accidents (fatalities, for example) versus increased number of property damage only incidents. Over 90% of the crash testing done on roadside safety devices are tested at UNL.

Oh hush now. You know damn well the posters on CF who have given this at least 30 seconds of thought know a hell of a lot more than the so called "experts".

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The conditions and driving habits of people are obviously the most to blame here. But my question is, is about those wire barriers right next to the road on southbound I-35. Are these a good idea? It seems that instead of just going into the ditch and off the road, the vehicles hit these barriers and bounce right back into traffic.

I saw a semi go into one of these wire barriers once, I can tell you from seeing it in person, they don't bounce back into traffic.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and arobb

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's to prevent cars going through the median into oncoming traffic.

My dad got to see them in work last week. Thankfully he was on the saved side of the incident. Have a family friend that very well could still be with us if they had been put on 380 ten years prior than they were.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Yes I know but that doesn't mean they found the ideal solution or that it wasn't subject to shortcuts, cost cutting, or just plain corruption. Look at the similar "safety" barriers that Trinity has been sued over numerous times.

http://fox6now.com/2014/02/11/lawsuit-blames-guardrail-failures-for-horrific-crashes/

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I have to wonder how much the increase in traffic on this stretch of road over the last 10-15 years plays into things like this. Keeping distance is great, but the more traffic there is generally that ends up compressing.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Experts r dum,

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Unless you work for the DOT and have to mow the medians.

Plopping them in the middle also poses some drainage issues.

Yeah **** those annoying tax payers. Workers convenience should definitely be prioritized over the safety of the very people that provide funding to the DOT

hot-take.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: dirtyninety

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I have to wonder how much the increase in traffic on this stretch of road over the last 10-15 years plays into things like this. Keeping distance is great, but the more traffic there is generally that ends up compressing.

I've been saying this about 235 for the last couple years as there is an accident nearly every morning between 7:15-8:00, drives me insane.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
In that first video you saw lots of cars going to the ditch to avoid what they could. Those barriers are dumb and add to the minor and moderate accidents. One n the middle of the median would be better but they'd have to be redesigned.
I thought the same thing until I saw it stop an SUV from going head on into traffic without any one getting hurt. But I do agree with previous posters that they should probably be in the middle of the median.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron