Report: 30+ teams could be punished for recruiting violations

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
By DANIEL RAPAPORT
February 14, 2018

As many as three dozen programs could face discipline in connection with the FBI's probe into recruiting violations across college basketball, according to ESPN's Mark Schlabach.

The college basketball world was turned upside down on Sept. 29 when the the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York laid out findings from an F.B.I. investigation that uncovered mass corruption, bribery and wire fraud involving some of the sport's top programs. But none of the programs implicated in the FBI probe—including Arizona, Louisville, USC, Oklahoma State, Auburn and Miami—have yet been punished by the NCAA as the FBI continues its investigation and while legal proceedings play out.

Four assistant coaches have been formally charged with varying violations: Tony Bland of USC, Emanuel "Book" Richardson of Arizona, Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn. Also charged were former Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code, clothing designer Rashan Michel and financial adviser Munish Sood.

Schlabach's report—which also says that Gatto and Code are seeking to have their charges dropped on the grounds that their conduct did not violate federal law—would seem to suggest that the FBI has investigated dozens of programs that have not yet been connected to the probe.

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."

While the alleged activities cited in the complaints submitted by the U.S. Attorney's Office vary, there was a pattern—men not involved with college basketball funneled money, often through assistant coaches, to recruits to incentivize them to commit to a specific school. In return, those recruits would do business with the men after leaving college.

The probe led to the firing of Louisville coach Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich. Pitino is accused of being aware of a $100,000 payment made to the family of Brian Bowen to secure his commitment to Louisville. Multiple other similar occurences at other marquee programs are described in the complaints.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
You need to read the Schlabach article in order to figure out how they know that "three dozen" universities are involved:

Regardless what happens with the criminal cases, sources with knowledge of the FBI investigation told ESPN this week that the clandestine probe could result in potential NCAA violations for as many as three dozen Division I programs, based on information included in wiretap conversations from the defendants and financial records, emails and cell phone records seized from NBA agent Andy Miller. His office was raided on the same day the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches, in late September.​

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don’t know about that. This is the FBI and the US Attorneys office, not the NCAA. I really don’t think the former GAF if you’re a blue blood or not.

But none of the programs implicated in the FBI probe—including Arizona, Louisville, USC, Oklahoma State, Auburn and Miami—have yet been punished by the NCAA as the FBI continues its investigation and while legal proceedings play out.

Personal belief - FBI is out finding the information, but isn't going to do any of the punishments towards institutions. I think the FBI will lean on the NCAA, who, as that quote shows, have done absolutely nothing, and shown no signs of doing anything, to stop this from happening.

I also believe we will hear the worst of it happened at Kentucky and Kansas, but it will be the non-blue bloods will be the ones punished. Calipari has been caught cheating twice in the NCAA at UMASS and Memphis and is still allowed to coach while those institutions faced punishments. It's clear the NCAA doesn't give a ****.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
You need to read the Schlabach article in order to figure out how they know that "three dozen" universities are involved:

Regardless what happens with the criminal cases, sources with knowledge of the FBI investigation told ESPN this week that the clandestine probe could result in potential NCAA violations for as many as three dozen Division I programs, based on information included in wiretap conversations from the defendants and financial records, emails and cell phone records seized from NBA agent Andy Miller. His office was raided on the same day the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches, in late September.​
I wonder how many AD's asked their basketball coach, "Have you talked with Andy Miller lately", and if so, "Are there any records of you talking with Andy Miller?"

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone84cowboy

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Personal belief - FBI is out finding the information, but isn't going to do any of the punishments towards institutions. I think the FBI will lean on the NCAA, who, as that quote shows, have done absolutely nothing, and shown no signs of doing anything, to stop this from happening.

I also believe we will hear the worst of it happened at Kentucky and Kansas, but it will be the non-blue bloods will be the ones punished. Calipari has been caught cheating twice in the NCAA at UMASS and Memphis and is still allowed to coach while those institutions faced punishments. It's clear the NCAA doesn't give a ****.

Aren't these two statements contradictory? I believe the first, as the FBI is responsible for finding, prosecuting and punishing criminal activity. My knowledge of their work is that they do not care whether the individual in question has been successful as the result of the criminal activity or not.

The second paragraph seems more like a "woe is me" kind of statement. Calipari and others may be above the rules when it comes to the NCAA; however they are subject to the same LAWS as all of us.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
2013 Kentucky: 5 top 15 recruits (and #20)

2014 Kentucky: 2 top 15 recruits (and #18)

2015 Kentucky: 3 top 15 recruits

2016 Kentucky: 4 top 15 recruits

2017 Kentucky: 4 top 15 recruits

2018 Kentucky: 2 top 15 recruits, 0 in the top 10, 0 ranked between 15 and 30.

ESPN paints Coach Cal as a potential great NBA coach when in all actuality, he would just be on a level playing field and suck because every team can pay their players.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Aren't these two statements contradictory? I believe the first, as the FBI is responsible for finding, prosecuting and punishing criminal activity. My knowledge of their work is that they do not care whether the individual in question has been successful as the result of the criminal activity or not.

The second paragraph seems more like a "woe is me" kind of statement. Calipari and others may be above the rules when it comes to the NCAA; however they are subject to the same LAWS as all of us.

I'll clarify - I don't believe the FBI won't punish any teams. I do believe the NCAA will punish teams, just not equally or fairly.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and ISC

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'll clarify - I don't believe the FBI won't punish any teams. I do believe the NCAA will punish teams, just not equally or fairly.
Yep, the FBI will prosecute individuals: Coaches, administrators, apparel reps, etc. They will then hand over the findings from their investigations to the NCAA and let them do what they will with the institutions.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yeah, "punished for recruiting violations" isn't within the purview of the FBI. Punishment for breaking the law is. There are entirely different consequences. The NCAA will have to handle anything that affects eligibility or program punishment separately (which is where the blue bloods will get off lightly).

There is one thing that might be different this time. The NCAA has no subpoena powers. Thus, nobody has to talk to their investigators and they are basically limited to whatever information the schools provide. The NCAA is a member organization, and the NCAA office ultimately does what the school presidents want it to do. Let's not kid ourselves, the lax rules enforcement by the NCAA is because that is the way the majority of the university presidents want it. However, in this case, the FBI has obtained the evidence because they have no such limitations.

If/when the FBI turns this evidence over to the NCAA, and if this evidence shows corruption and violation of NCAA rules, and the NCAA does nothing but a few minor hand-slaps, I think this would open up the NCAA, as well as the college ADs, to a legitimate challenge of their 501(c)(3) status. Anybody can file a challenge of 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, and there is plenty of precedent for revocation of 501(c)(3) status over financial funny business, such as has occurred in this little fiasco.

The NCAA has been called before Congress in the past to justify its 501(c)(3) status, because college sports is a significant untapped revenue stream for the government. Regardless of what the NCAA does, I would like to see 501(c)(3) challenges brought against those schools implicated by the FBI. Let's see how donations fare when the donors and corporate sponsors no longer get a tax deduction.

Last edited: