How many more wins?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Pretty sure a vast majority of NIT teams last year had 20ish wins.
Probably. There usually is 1-2 teams every year with 17-14 type records. Hopefully we are lucky enough it’s us. I’d say let’s just keep winning at home and see what happens. Would love to steal a road one at the end against OU and maybe win 1-2 in Big 12 tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Need to go 5-1 down stretch to make NCAA, our non con SOS was pretty weak and we still don't have any road wins. NIT is harder to project because mid major teams that win the regular season championship, but lose in their conference tourney get an auto bid. 3-3 I think would get us into NIT.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Boy, I think 9-9 record in Big XII is a lock for the NCAA probably as a 10 seed.

I guarantee NIT would invite us if we end with a winning record.

• Agree

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
We need to get at least 4 of the next six to have any chance at keeping our 20 win benchmark for the team and the coach.

If we get 4 of the next 6, I don't think we play until Thursday in KC.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
We need a high quality true road win first and foremost. (read need to win at WV or OU) then 4-2 gets them a decent chance,

5-1 and they are almost certainly in the NCAA. It would put the RPI in the 50's, they would have 11 top 100 rpi wins, they would have a top 30 road win, they would have 2 top 100 road wins and only one bad loss. No question that is right side of the bubble territory.

4-2 with an OU or WV win likely gets them in. but would be understandable if they were left out.

• Agree
Reactions: EarthIsMan

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
The B12 chances at 8 teams receiving bids would probably much better if the B12 didn't go 5-5 in the SEC/B12 challenge. Overall, B12 non-conference strength of record is pretty solid though. But I feel like the record in the SEC/B12 challenge will end up being a talking point when the tournament selection discussion picks up.

ISU closing the regular season 4-2 to finish conference 8-10 (17-13 overall) would be the minimum to have a glimmer of NCAA tourney hope heading into the postseason.

For it to happen they absolutely have to get a true road win- which they have not been able to do yet this season. But at least they have 4 neutral court wins.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Need to go 5-1 down stretch to make NCAA, our non con SOS was pretty weak and we still don't have any road wins. NIT is harder to project because mid major teams that win the regular season championship, but lose in their conference tourney get an auto bid. 3-3 I think would get us into NIT.

As the potential king of haters for our noncon schedule, we don't need to go 5-1 to offset it. Royce's team didn't need to hit that standard, and neither does this one.

Go 3-3 and get a couple in KC and we're right on the edge or very possibly in.

5-1 would probably lock it in outright, but we don't need to go 5-1 from this point.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Closing the season out 4-2 and finishing 8-10 in conference play would like put ISU at 6th to 8th place in conference standings depending on tiebreakers.

This just proof of the balance of the B12 and that there are no true "bottom feeders" in the conference.

IMHO, no need to finish 5-1 to have a great chance.

• Agree

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
As the potential king of haters for our noncon schedule, we don't need to go 5-1 to offset it. Royce's team didn't need to hit that standard, and neither does this one.

Go 3-3 and get a couple in KC and we're right on the edge or very possibly in.

5-1 would probably lock it in outright, but we don't need to go 5-1 from this point.
The weak non-con SOS is just part of it, we still don't have any road wins at all and our only good win away from home is Boise State which is a solid win, but it's not going to move the needle too much. My going 5-1 reasoning was mainly just because that would mean 2 road wins. We could go 4-2 and win 2 in KC and I think we'd be in, but I think 2 of those wins would need to be on the road and not just on a neutral site. Of course given how we have played on the road as of late even winning 1 road game is asking a lot.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The weak non-con SOS is just part of it, we still don't have any road wins at all and our only good win away from home is Boise State which is a solid win, but it's not going to move the needle too much. My going 5-1 reasoning was mainly just because that would mean 2 road wins. We could go 4-2 and win 2 in KC and I think we'd be in, but I think 2 of those wins would need to be on the road and not just on a neutral site. Of course given how we have played on the road as of late even winning 1 road game is asking a lot.

How many of our last 6 tourney teams had good road wins?
Last year had Kansas. The road hasn't been completely futile those 6 years, but it hasn't been friendly. It's not really that important for sneaking in.

If we were talking about a 3-6 seed, we'd probably need something like that. We're talking about getting in as a 10 or 11 here.

Reactions: flynnhicks03

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
The B12 chances at 8 teams receiving bids would probably much better if the B12 didn't go 5-5 in the SEC/B12 challenge. Overall, B12 non-conference strength of record is pretty solid though.

Still quite impressive that Big12 has two teams with just one noncon loss, four teams have only two noncon losses and four teams have three noncon losses. Must be the best nonconference record of any league.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Still quite impressive that Big12 has two teams with just one noncon loss, four teams have only two noncon losses and four teams have three noncon losses. Must be the best nonconference record of any league.
They were saying during the game yesterday that the Big 12 was still the only league with every team having a winning record.

No bottom feeders indeed.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
How many of our last 6 tourney teams had good road wins?
Last year had Kansas. The road hasn't been completely futile those 6 years, but it hasn't been friendly. It's not really that important for sneaking in.

If we were talking about a 3-6 seed, we'd probably need something like that. We're talking about getting in as a 10 or 11 here.
Last year's team also had road wins over OSU and KSU who both made the tournament, now whether you consider those good road wins is up to you, but that's 3 wins on the road over tournament teams. If you have a weak Non-con like we do then you need something else to point to such as road wins.

• Agree

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Road wins should be only marginally more relevant than neutral site wins when talking about tourney consideration. Last I knew teams play at NCAA tourney sites that are supposedly neutral.

Should be.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
With the way things are going, seems like they'll win out at home and lose out on the road.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Figure on ~20 spots available for the NIT.

Regular-season conference champions who don't get into the NCAA tournament get an automatic invite to the NIT. The last 3 years, 37 spots (12.3/yr) have been taken that way.

Hope for the champs in one-bid leagues to also win their conference tournament. Otherwise, more NIT spots get swallowed up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Last year's team also had road wins over OSU and KSU who both made the tournament, now whether you consider those good road wins is up to you, but that's 3 wins on the road over tournament teams. If you have a weak Non-con like we do then you need something else to point to such as road wins.

I haven't gone back to look, but what about the other 5 tourney teams?
Road wins would be great. I'm all for it, but I don't believe we need them.