Lanning Makes Cut for Lombardi Award

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
Iowa State just released that Lanning made the Final Seven for the Lombardi award. Looks like only 4 get chosen to attend the ceremony in Houston on January 27th.

Other finalists:
Saquon Barkley (RB - Penn St)
Minkah Fitzpatrick (DB - Alabama)
Shaquem Griffin (LB - UCF)
Lamar Jackson (QB - Louisville)
Bryce Love (RB - Stanford)
Baker Mayfield (QB - Oklahoma)

"The Lombardi Award is presented to a college football player based on performance, as well as leadership, character, and resiliency."

Last edited:

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
Lanning pretty much fits the award qualifications to a "T". So, he won't be getting it.
The four finalists will be Lanning, Barkley, Griffin, and Mayfield or someone like that. We'll get our hopes up and all jazzed. Then Barkley will beat him again...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think the Big 12 just picked his name up off the list.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Baker Mayfield (QB - Oklahoma)

"The Lombardi Award is presented to a college football player based on performance, as well as leadership, character, and resiliency."

Leadership:
AcceptableGoldenCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif

Character:

tenor.gif

Resiliency:
tenor.gif

I suppose I can't argue with "performance"

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would take give my left nut to see Joel and BM in cage match.

GoldenCardinal

Aug 29, 2016
Iowa
There are a lot of awards that include things like character, leadership, and resiliency. If they weigh those things the same as "performance," I feel like Joel and Shaquem Griffin should definitely both be in the final 4 and one of them should win it. Instead it will probably come down to who is the more recognizable name. I'm happy that Joel is a finalist though.

• Agree
Reactions: weR138 and iacyguy

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
These awards are all Heisman / NC consolation awards and this one in particular will be a consolation award for Griffin not getting into the CFP. No way Griffin doesn't win this.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Me neither. It's ******* hilarious. Great recognition and reaction by that cop. Campbell should see if he has any eligibility.

I would buy that cop a meal for knocking down that little, little, turd.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Barkley is pretty high on himself as I recall. Not as much as Mayfield, but still not a poster child either. I would like to see the kid from UCF win it if Joel doesn't. He was pretty impressive in their bowl game.