Ideas for avoiding technicals

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The way Cam plays is so special. He plays at an effort level that is off the charts, the kind of energy level that most college basketball players don’t see even on their best day. It’d be sad to have to tame him.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You may very well be right, but if that's how the officials will call it, why don't they share this position with Coach Prohm when he asked for clarification?

Because we ain't Kansas or someone they think of as special so they act like dickheads.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm thinking Hans should walk up to the refs during warm up and say excuse me gentlemen I was Pre-med at Princeton and I feel it's in my patients best interest to inform you Mr. Lard has been diagnose w/ turrets.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I assume Lard is saying something unkind about the other player's mother. That's the only thing that makes sense

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Could Cameron maybe try drop-kicking the officials, Waterboy style?

gD6Fba.gif

Better that your enemies fear and respect you than they love you.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Both those Ts on Cam are ridiculous. There are tons of situations throughout each game where a player celebrates a play. Now we expect the Big 12 refs to fairly discriminate between acceptable celebration and over celebration. That is crazy.

If we are taking it that far, I think the 360 dunk by the Tech player was an over zealous celebration of his steal.

Yep. Could institute the Akrum Wadley rule for basketball. Take the points away.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Both those Ts on Cam are ridiculous. There are tons of situations throughout each game where a player celebrates a play. Now we expect the Big 12 refs to fairly discriminate between acceptable celebration and over celebration. That is crazy.

If we are taking it that far, I think the 360 dunk by the Tech player was an over zealous celebration of his steal.

Exactly. It becomes such an arbitrary line. If you get a dunk and yell, but it is in the general direction of your bench then you are fine? It's just such an awful, awful rule. Especially now that it counts as a personal foul, these ridiculously overdone calls can have a huge impact.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Guessing he will be quiet tonight but get called for a "T" cause the refs won't like his facial expression on some play.

Seriously, if he was getting called for being profane or something Prohm would know and would not be saying he doesn't know the "why" on the calls.

It just seems they have decided he will That Guy they decide to make an example of. It's why people hate refs and their arbitrariness. They generally do a good job but **** up how people feel about them by doing this sort of crap.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I love Lard's emotion and effort but he needs to harness it a little to avoid putting himself in vulnerable situations that could get him a T like he has. The one thing I noticed is at least twice when he came out of the game he was basically waving his hands up seeking applause from the crowd as if he needed some kind of self satisfaction on his way to the bench. Maybe that is not the way he intended it to look but that is how it came off to me and several others sitting around us. Our fans do a great job of letting a player know we appreciated his effort when he comes out of the game so he shouldn't feel the need to coax it out of us IMO.

Maybe I am just seeing things differently than some do with these situations. I love Cam's effort and it has been exciting to watch him grow and become a bigger part of this team as the season has gone on. I just hopes he finds a good balance between showing that much emotion and can channel that more into his play instead of putting himself into positions where he could get a T. Once you get a reputation for it refs will start looking for it and that's one thing we can't afford when our margin of error is so thin as it is some games.

• Creative
Reactions: jkclone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Guessing he will be quiet tonight but get called for a "T" cause the refs won't like his facial expression on some play.

Seriously, if he was getting called for being profane or something Prohm would know and would not be saying he doesn't know the "why" on the calls.

It just seems they have decided he will That Guy they decide to make an example of. It's why people hate refs and their arbitrariness. They generally do a good job but **** up how people feel about them by doing this sort of crap.

He yelled something in the direction of whoever was guarding him before he got the T on Saturday. No idea what he said or if he was actually trying to talk smack or not. Usually when he turns away from the opposing player and yells, he's fine.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Like it or not, officials are told to have zero tolerance for taunting. Screaming at someone he just schooled is not going to be received well.

• Agree
Reactions: brycy and IASTATE07

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love Lard's emotion and effort but he needs to harness it a little to avoid putting himself in vulnerable situations that could get him a T like he has. The one thing I noticed is at least twice when he came out of the game he was basically waving his hands up seeking applause from the crowd as if he needed some kind of self satisfaction on his way to the bench. Maybe that is not the way he intended it to look but that is how it came off to me and several others sitting around us. Our fans do a great job of letting a player know we appreciated his effort when he comes out of the game so he shouldn't feel the need to coax it out of us IMO.

Maybe I am just seeing things differently than some do with these situations. I love Cam's effort and it has been exciting to watch him grow and become a bigger part of this team as the season has gone on. I just hopes he finds a good balance between showing that much emotion and can channel that more into his play instead of putting himself into positions where he could get a T. Once you get a reputation for it refs will start looking for it and that's one thing we can't afford when our margin of error is so thin as it is some games.

Think you may be reading into that a little too much. Doubt it was "acknowledge me for how well I've played" as the crowd was already cheering and he wanted them to cheer louder. I'm pretty pro-crowd involvement, and not so much worried about how we get to increased crowd involvement.

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

Add to that spiking the ball into the stands after his next dunk a little bit later. You're not supposed to touch the ball after a made basket and his excessive follow through spiked it into the stands. In my opinion should have been a T. You don't normally see a dunked ball bounce that far into the stands on its own.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You could have stayed in the proper sport and even put an ISU flavor on it:
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

First time I've noticed Hogue's opponent is trying to reach for the ball just after getting kicked.

That was just bad night for ISU and at least something comical came of it.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He yelled something in the direction of whoever was guarding him before he got the T on Saturday. No idea what he said or if he was actually trying to talk smack or not. Usually when he turns away from the opposing player and yells, he's fine.

I didn't like the technical against TCU, but on Saturday after he made the basket and saw him back peddling up the floor yapping at the TT player I knew he was going to get T'd up.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron