***West Virginia Dual on Sunday 1/21/18***

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
WV COACH went after the ref following the end of the meet still fuming about stalling calls in 197 match. Ref listened, explained all he could, patted the WV coach on the butt and sent off for his nappy and bottle. If you saw the ref pat the coach on the butt in dismissing him, say so. It happened.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Doc and Judoka

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Does anyone know at what point WV got the team point deducted ? I didn’t look at scoreboard after 197 match so not sure if it was then or after hwt

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Does anyone know at what point WV got the team point deducted ? I didn’t look at scoreboard after 197 match so not sure if it was then or after hwt

If on the coaches, it was after the dual. I saw the ref hold his arm out towards WV side. But it could have been Smith yelling at ref after his match.

I think the call was right. Smith back straight off the match in the OT

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If on the coaches, it was after the dual. I saw the ref hold his arm out towards WV side. But it could have been Smith yelling at ref after his match.

I think the call was right. Smith back straight off the match in the OT
Absolutely was the right call. Smith was stalling all of the 3rd period and didn't do much at all since the middle of the 2nd. He didn't try to circle at all towards the edge, Sammy definitely benefited from being the aggressor.

6scrapper7

Jan 1, 2017
Happy for Colbray ! Loved the fan support. Am in the dark what his "style" is. What's his "take down" move and what he's trying to do underneath ? Is it a lack of confidence ? Is it just between his ears ? Hoping this match gets his motor going.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
THAT is the passion and energy I've been looking for! I didn't even necessarily care that we won, but that intensity is what I've been looking for! We never had it with Jackson. I'm hoping Dresser and crew can bring it out. SHOW THAT YOU WANT TO WIN.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Does anyone hope that Jennings takes over at 165? Breitanbach has some good moves but man he gets pinned way to easy and often in my opinion. Just wanted a couple others thoughts. Happy for Colbray and Bush.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I've been very critical of Colbray..still not fully buying in yet, but that was a HUGE win for him. Not only to prove (mostly to himself) that he can beat top ranked kids but also that if he keeps buying in and pushing the pace and action, his talent will only be magnified. REALLY hope this is him turning the corner!

That was one of the more fun duals I have watched at ISU for awhile. Hilton is going to be a blast in 3-4 years and beyond. Program is in the right hands.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Does anyone hope that Jennings takes over at 165? Breitanbach has some good moves but man he gets pinned way to easy and often in my opinion. Just wanted a couple others thoughts. Happy for Colbray and Bush.

Hope? No, I'd hope that Breitenbach could get things sorted out. But do I think he might? Yeah, he doesn't have any big wins or anything but he's racked up wins at the last two opens since moving up a weight so you might as well see what he can do when the lights are on. Honestly though I think a Diblasi that isn't trying to hold certification at 157 is probably our best option at 165 right now.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

I am with you. Some of it may be just because I like the idea of having Iowa kids in the lineup.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Great match by Colbray. He finally thought he could win if he pushed the pace and did.

This is a different Marcus than we have seen in past years. Never would have thought he would get after it so early in the match.

Straw just keeps coming at you with pressure and heavy hands and wins matches in the 3rd.

My negative is I think we lost the 1st takedown in every match from 125 - 165.