Report: KU's Billy Preston Signed with Bosnian Pro team

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Wrong. It was made public by KU, not by any outside source. keep ignoring the facts of the situation so that it better fits your anti-KU assumptions. We live in a day and age where no one seems to care about the truth at all so fire away!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wrong. It was made public by KU, not by any outside source. keep ignoring the facts of the situation so that it better fits your anti-KU assumptions. We live in a day and age where no one seems to care about the truth at all so fire away!

How about the fact KU couldn't buy there way into getting the kid eligible .

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Good thing he was the only KU player to ever receive a car or money from boosters. Cause if this weren't an isolated incident, this could get messy for KU. And I'm sure the KU AD doesn't feel any additional investigation into these gifts are warranted.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
So long as a coach had no knowledge of or involvement in whatever happened, it doesn't matter. As soon as KU discovered a possible violation, they held him out and went above and beyond what was required to stay compliant with the rules.

If you think Billy Preston is the only player on a D1 roster rolling around a campus in a car he or his family either got a crazy discount on thanks to being a player or got some help paying for then you're crazy. I am glad KU held him out of all games and aren't at risk of having to vacate any wins or face any punishment.
Exactly. How many more on KU roster? How many on past rosters? The only reason this came about was because of the accident. If not for that, Preston would be playing. And if found out later, then all their games would be voided, and ku would be punished. If I was a fan in that scenario, I'd sure be nervous.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

KU made it public AFTER the accident revealed that he was driving a car that was not his. KU didn't make it public, the accident did. But keep trying to sell your BS if it makes you feel better.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
KU made it public AFTER the accident revealed that he was driving a car that was not his. KU didn't make it public, the accident did. But keep trying to sell your BS if it makes you feel better.
It was a single car accident with no police involvement and no property damage to anything outside of his own vehicle so how did you or anyone else in the public know about it? Oh, that's right, the car accident was not public knowledge until Kansas explained why Preston was not playing.

You're trying too hard and ignoring basic facts.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
It was a single car accident with no police involvement and no property damage to anything outside of his own vehicle so how did you or anyone else in the public know about it? Oh, that's right, the car accident was not public knowledge until Kansas explained why Preston was not playing.

You're trying too hard and ignoring basic facts.

Yeah, that story doesn't match the basic facts, but keep spouting the party line.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
How about the fact KU couldn't buy there way into getting the kid eligible .
Huh? Was there some sort of attempted payment to the NCAA offered or made? I must have missed that.

I have no problem with Kansas putting countless hours of manpower into trying to support the players that agree to come to Kansas. I would hope that you would want Iowa State to do the same for their athletes.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
1) I feel bad for the kids in these situations. Even, if it was a totally innocent purchase, by not being more aware of NCAA compliance stuff, she hurt her son. And if she knew that it was a shady deal, it is even worse because she hurt her son just to get a quick buck instead of just waiting 8 months or whatever it is.
Also feel like she made a rash decision in sending him to Bosnia for two months or whatever it will be. He would get better coaching if he just stayed at KU and practiced even if he was never cleared. You can still go pro, he could have gone to the combine and I am sure would have done well and gotten drafted. Or he could have withdrawn and they could have signed with an agent and he could have worked with a professional trainer to prepare for the combine.
2) NCAA is still incompetent. They take way to long to actually decide anything.
3) A lot of these amateurism rules are really outdated. I think players should be able to sign with agents if they want and they should be able to market and make money off of their likeness.

It is a complete farce they act like these one and done kids are student athletes when in fact they are semipros. You know they will only be here for a year so academics are not high on the priority list, and you know that it is good for the bottom line of college basketball to have big names like Trae Young, Marvin Bagley etc.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
1) I feel bad for the kids in these situations. Even, if it was a totally innocent purchase, by not being more aware of NCAA compliance stuff, she hurt her son. And if she knew that it was a shady deal, it is even worse because she hurt her son just to get a quick buck instead of just waiting 8 months or whatever it is.
Also feel like she made a rash decision in sending him to Bosnia for two months or whatever it will be. He would get better coaching if he just stayed at KU and practiced even if he was never cleared. You can still go pro, he could have gone to the combine and I am sure would have done well and gotten drafted. Or he could have withdrawn and they could have signed with an agent and he could have worked with a professional trainer to prepare for the combine.
2) NCAA is still incompetent. They take way to long to actually decide anything.
3) A lot of these amateurism rules are really outdated. I think players should be able to sign with agents if they want and they should be able to market and make money off of their likeness.

It is a complete farce they act like these one and done kids are student athletes when in fact they are semipros. You know they will only be here for a year so academics are not high on the priority list, and you know that it is good for the bottom line of college basketball to have big names like Trae Young, Marvin Bagley etc.

The NBA is complicit in this, too. I don't like how the NCAA goes about their business, but it's not like they're the ones preventing the elite prospects from making the jump straight to the league. It's the NBA that prohibits players from entering the draft right out of high school.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Let’s be real...KU is dropping duffel bags all over the place and they’re lucky this ended quietly.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The NBA is complicit in this, too. I don't like how the NCAA goes about their business, but it's not like they're the ones preventing the elite prospects from making the jump straight to the league. It's the NBA that prohibits players from entering the draft right out of high school.

Oh yeah,, definitely. But the NCAA is still trying to hold some ridiculous idea of amateurism.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Let’s be real...KU is dropping duffel bags all over the place and they’re lucky this ended quietly.

Probably not anymore now since the big federal investigation. Not as easy to throw that cash around when you're under the microscope.

Given that the news of the FBI investigation broke in September, how was KU able to get 3 highly coveted recruits to sign in November?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Probably not anymore now since the big federal investigation. Not as easy to throw that cash around when you're under the microscope.
This is just a clarification. They used to just throw the cash around. Now that they're under the microscope, they hide it in duffel bags.

Reactions: jbindm