Ideas for avoiding technicals

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Don't play in games with sensitive officials?

Honestly though, right now that is what Cam is. He is very emotional, and plays hard as hell. I don't think he is taunting anyone, he's just excited. He will learn to channel that as he gets older.

The conference must have sent out a memo to refs that do conference games about cleaning up the yelling and celebrating of players.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. KU got a couple of breaks down the stretch, iffy-foul on Baylor, and a no-call on defense, but for the most part, it was a BU meltdown.

Once Baylor got that 6 pt. lead I thought, good its time KU loses a game down the stretch this season at home. (Could have easily lost to KState and/or ISU) but then they outscore Baylor 9-0. Grrr. Wish they would have showed the replay of that 3rd to last possession when Baylor's #22 endured a lot of contact going to the rim but no call. But maybe it was a block and I was bias on the outcome I wanted. Then (just like in our game) Newman gets easy drives to the bucket. I know I should just assume or respect that Self outcoaches everyone the last two minutes (like Fran Frinchilla suggests) but I swear they have to get the most breaks of any team I've watched.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Once Baylor got that 6 pt. lead I thought, good its time KU loses a game down the stretch this season at home. (Could have easily lost to KState and/or ISU) but then they outscore Baylor 9-0. Grrr. Wish they would have showed the replay of that 3rd to last possession when Baylor's #22 endured a lot of contact going to the rim but no call. But maybe it was a block and I was bias on the outcome I wanted. Then (just like in our game) Newman gets easy drives to the bucket. I know I should just assume or respect that Self outcoaches everyone the last two minutes (like Fran Frinchilla suggests) but I swear they have to get the most breaks of any team I've watched.
That particular play where Baylor's McClure drove, he got absolutely mugged. Could not believe there was no foul called. Especially since that terribly weak And-1 call KU was gifted the play before.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Have you ever reffed anything? Do you know what it takes to become a ref and what their compensation is?
Refs calling a Big 12 game are compensated well enough to be consistent and competent, which they are not.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
[QUOTE="madguy30, post: 6010429, member: 13228" One second of celebrating a bucket can lead to points real quick in today's game and that's been proven a few times by ISU.[/QUOTE]

I agree - it seems at times it distracts him from quickly shifting to defense and slows him down slightly. Love his emotion and energy; he'll grow to be a great player both physically and emotionally.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Both those Ts on Cam are ridiculous. There are tons of situations throughout each game where a player celebrates a play. Now we expect the Big 12 refs to fairly discriminate between acceptable celebration and over celebration. That is crazy.

If we are taking it that far, I think the 360 dunk by the Tech player was an over zealous celebration of his steal.

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
I think Drake's McGlynn is just as passionate but he yells and flexes going away from the basket, not looking back towards players. If Cam would do that I think he would be fine. I am probably in the minority but thought he deserved both T's. My wife says I am overly sensitive, so who knows. Act like you have been there.

I think stepping over a player on the floor or football field should be a penalty also.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Drake's McGlynn is just as passionate but he yells and flexes going away from the basket, not looking back towards players. If Cam would do that I think he would be fine. I am probably in the minority but thought he deserved both T's. My wife says I am overly sensitive, so who knows. Act like you have been there.

I think stepping over a player on the floor or football field should be a penalty also.

Do you also have problems with children getting on your lawn?

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
Do you also have problems with children getting on your lawn?
Nope. Live in the country, very few kids and I have a dog. Just think if he is going to yell, don't face the opposing team in a stare down. If Azibuke did it towards Lard we would all want a T. He usually just goes to the other end of the court.

I think with all the intensity we will eventually see more fights and punches thrown in basketball due high emotions and taunting or perceived taunting.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

I think stepping over a player on the floor or football field should be a penalty also

True. They should step on them. Stepping over them is insulting. Stepping on them is just plain rude...

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
True. They should step on them. Stepping over them is insulting. Stepping on them is just plain rude...

zKsPou.gif

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Nope. Live in the country, very few kids and I have a dog. Just think if he is going to yell, don't face the opposing team in a stare down. If Azibuke did it towards Lard we would all want a T. He usually just goes to the other end of the court.

I think with all the intensity we will eventually see more fights and punches thrown in basketball due high emotions and taunting or perceived taunting.
It would be one thing if he turned to do it, but he does it in a natural direction depending on the play. There is a clear difference between taunting which deserves a T and celebrating a play which is what Lard does.

• Disagree
Reactions: IASTATE07

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That particular play where Baylor's McClure drove, he got absolutely mugged. Could not believe there was no foul called. Especially since that terribly weak And-1 call KU was gifted the play before.

Yep. Those are the 2 plays I referenced above. Couldn't remember if those came back-to-back or not. I'm not sure which call was more questionable -- probably the and-1, the non-call on Baylor's drive was a lot of contact, maybe was OK to let it go, but they had been calling fouls more closely, seemed inconsistent with that, as a let 'em play decision.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think Drake's McGlynn is just as passionate but he yells and flexes going away from the basket, not looking back towards players. If Cam would do that I think he would be fine....

You may very well be right, but if that's how the officials will call it, why don't they share this position with Coach Prohm when he asked for clarification?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Mad Fran is doing a video on "How to Avoid a Technical Foul." Should be a best seller as it is actually a fully illustrated autobiography.