Tom Petty has Passed Away

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
The Petty Live version of Breakdown where he basically plays a chord and the audience sings the song....and then he says with his awesome Florida southern accent (see what I did there?) "Ya'll going to put me out of a job" or whatever he says is so awesome, so real and authentic....so rare compared to Justin Timberlake crap today we are force fed. I am so kicking myself for not seeing him Des Moines last year.......

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Haha....so "possum kingdom" was the name of that song that is burned into my brain from the 1990's. "...dark secret....sweet jesus....." Ha. never knew the title. freaky hooky bass riff.

LOVE The Toadies. If you're not already familiar with it (also off of Rubberneck), look up "Tyler" for another creepy song. It's not a deep cut at all, but the lyrics are amazing.

The Petty Live version of Breakdown where he basically plays a chord and the audience sings the song....and then he says with his awesome Florida southern accent (see what I did there?) "Ya'll going to put me out of a job" or whatever he says is so awesome, so real and authentic....so rare compared to Justin Timberlake crap today we are force fed. I am so kicking myself for not seeing him Des Moines last year.......

It was all I wanted for my birthday last year, as seeing Petty was on my bucket list. He really was just incredible - and I'm not generally a huge Eagles fan as I get older, but Joe Walsh was also amazing. That dude can still play. But it being TP's anniversary tour was great, he played stuff from all across his career.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
LOVE The Toadies. If you're not already familiar with it (also off of Rubberneck), look up "Tyler" for another creepy song. It's not a deep cut at all, but the lyrics are amazing.

It was all I wanted for my birthday last year, as seeing Petty was on my bucket list. He really was just incredible - and I'm not generally a huge Eagles fan as I get older, but Joe Walsh was also amazing. That dude can still play. But it being TP's anniversary tour was great, he played stuff from all across his career.

I hope the Grammies do something extraordinary during the telecast to honor him....I mean, just tonight I am realizing I am coming out of the shock that he is gone....the originator of a huge part of the soundtrack of my life. .... He wasn't perfect and I'm not into worshiping....but he was so prolific....and it wasn't just him but the perfect serendipitous coming together of the Heartbreakers in Gainesville.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I hope the Grammies do something extraordinary during the telecast to honor him....I mean, just tonight I am realizing I am coming out of the shock that he is gone....the originator of a huge part of the soundtrack of my life. .... He wasn't perfect and I'm not into worshiping....but he was so prolific....and it wasn't just him but the perfect serendipitous coming together of the Heartbreakers in Gainesville.

"Soundtrack of my life" is incredibly apt. I mean, he made music over 40 years, that's a huge portion of rock history. And he was just... cool. Unique and talented. I agree, losing him, Prince, and Bowie over the last couple of years has been just very sobering.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

There is so much really bad music and really bad musicians out there today that Justin Timberlake would not even make my bottom 100. I just really can't stand all this teenage lament/angst crap I hear all the time. If I wanted to hear someone whine all the time, I'd still be married.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
"Soundtrack of my life" is incredibly apt. I mean, he made music over 40 years, that's a huge portion of rock history. And he was just... cool. Unique and talented. I agree, losing him, Prince, and Bowie over the last couple of years has been just very sobering.

Sobering - great choice of words in this case.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Things that make me feel old (I am older than 4 of 5 of them were when the album came out).

Wow, that's crazy to think about. And Petty, for example, still had a lot of his greatest music left in front of him. Dylan had/has some great albums left, also.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm glad to hear you consider Jeff Lynne a "rock legend". Has anybody with his talent ever been more under appreciated?

I'm with you. Jeff Lynne has his fingerprints all over classic rock and not a whole lot of love.

ELO is still out there. Catching Plant next month. Might try to hit ELO. They aren't going to be around forever.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron