Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I should say, I have enjoyed your posting ever since I arrived here, whenever that was. Quite a ways back, I quit posting for awhile and then came back. I came back to post on basketball, but when Donald Trump was elected, I had to go back to the cave, it drew me like a magnet.

His entering the campaign sucked me in. I could have known better, but I'm me, so I didn't (and don't).

But that post about the zerohedge of protection was the stuff of sarcastic seminarian dreams (even though all of my classmates are likely all in on the Trump train). So many levels of funny and disturbing in there. Well played.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
His entering the campaign sucked me in. I could have known better, but I'm me, so I didn't (and don't).

But that post about the zerohedge of protection was the stuff of sarcastic seminarian dreams (even though all of my classmates are likely all in on the Trump train). So many levels of funny and disturbing in there. Well played.
I studied at Sioux Falls Seminary. So I guess your seminary would call that a liberal seminary.
It was one of the places this guy came from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Rauschenbusch

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I studied at Sioux Falls Seminary. So I guess your seminary would call that a liberal seminary.
It was one of the places this guy came from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Rauschenbusch

The education explains how you pulled it off! Good stuff, really.

Oh, my goodness. I had several classes where his name may as well have been banned or starred out. Fundamentalists really, really blame him a lot for the divides of the Progressive Era, even though that era would have brought those divides anyway, and evangelicals/fundamentalists habitually divide as part of our DNA.

But, yeah, oh they did not like Rauschenbusch at all. We still have a ton of people that will oppose any ministry idea like feeding people by yelling "SOCIAL GOSPEL!! SOCIAL GOSPEL!!! WE LEFT THEM BEHIND! THAT'S NOT WHO WE ARE!!!!"

Then we go on to our version of providential history while complaining about today's social environment with no sense of awareness that the two might struggle to be compatible.

Reactions: mitten1975

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Can I get a Bowling trophy in the form of an RV?

Okay, that was a bad play on words. I apologize.

I am no trophy wife, as I chop onions daily and that seems to be determinant. However, if I was, I would be that ugly farm family CyHawk trophy no one liked lol.

Reactions: SaraV

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
The education explains how you pulled it off! Good stuff, really.
I should probably mention, I have been studying Job lately. That brought up the idea of the "hedge of protection" and the wonderful but checkered history of the conservative Christian church trying to deal with the book, and use that quote out of context, while denying the reality of the book in its totality.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I should probably mention, I have been studying Job lately. That brought up the idea of the "hedge of protection" and the wonderful but checkered history of the conservative Christian church trying to deal with the book, and use that quote out of context, while denying the reality of the book in its totality.

Chuck Swindoll did one of his biography things about Job. He takes the time to talk about Job's wife saying "Curse God and die," but instead of ripping her apart like conservatives usually do, he did this weird thing where he talked about the shocking grief she was experiencing as everything she knew about her life was brutally ripped apart so quickly.

I like to point it out when people get excited about the "evil" of Job's wife. It gets a lot of really blank stares because nobody expects a different point of view there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I just don't get the ongoing wallowing over this after 25 years. Maintaining a state of mourning for 25 years is just cult like and weird IMHO. Not mocking him, he was probably a nice kid and all but nice kids die every day. He played college basketball, big whoop. It's not like he was fated to grow up and change the world. At some point I guess we will have a move for canonization.

# blaspheme_from_upnorth

I don’t see what’s wrong with remembering someone you cared about. My Dad died 19 years ago this week, and it still hits me every day. I try and tell my kids things about him so his memory continues in our family. It doesn’t mean I am canonizing, I just hope he is remembered when I am gone.

Some times I feel like Georges and Naz are extended family. I am sure Hawk fans feel the same about players that give them a little joy in this world. If they want to keep his memory alive, I do not see what is wrong with that.

I certainly hope I do not outlive my children. Seems devastating. I guess I don’t feel compelled to judge how someone handles their grief.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Chuck Swindoll did one of his biography things about Job. He takes the time to talk about Job's wife saying "Curse God and die," but instead of ripping her apart like conservatives usually do, he did this weird thing where he talked about the shocking grief she was experiencing as everything she knew about her life was brutally ripped apart so quickly.

I like to point it out when people get excited about the "evil" of Job's wife. It gets a lot of really blank stares because nobody expects a different point of view there.
I just got done with chapter 21 where Job claims that the evil have a hedge of protection around them. That sounded so much like Trump, that I was tempted to create a topic around it. Alas, I didn't, because I don't like to have the responsibility of being the OP for threads. So, @Lyddea if you are out there, here is an idea for a thread topic for religion and politics.

Reactions: CycloneErik

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Did it get closed? I didn't like the direction it was going and didn't touch that. Never met street, but feel once someone has passed, best to just leave any negativity out, nobody wins with that. There was definitely a few posts that should have been erased.

Yeah, it's all done. But it got to be @CyTwins against the entire hok horde, and awfully repetitive. Kudos to Twins, though.....he fought the good fight.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins and BCClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I don’t see what’s wrong with remembering someone you cared about. My Dad died 19 years ago this week, and it still hits me every day. I try and tell my kids things about him so his memory continues in our family. It doesn’t mean I am canonizing, I just hope he is remembered when I am gone.

Some times I feel like Georges and Naz are extended family. I am sure Hawk fans feel the same about players that give them a little joy in this world. If they want to keep his memory alive, I do not see what is wrong with that.

I certainly hope I do not outlive my children. Seems devastating. I guess I don’t feel compelled to judge how someone handles their grief.

Your post touched a nerve with me - my Dad was a theologian (a Lutheran pastor), and one who constantly asked questions and questioned accepted logic. His voice sounds in my head every single day.

And I agree......had Fred or Georges died an early death, I'm sure they would have been martyred by now. We look askance at hok traditions, but in reality they aren't so different from us. (Except, of course, they root for the wrong school.)

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Your post touched a nerve with me - my Dad was a theologian (a Lutheran pastor), and one who constantly asked questions and questioned accepted logic. His voice sounds in my head every single day.

And I agree......had Fred or Georges died an early death, I'm sure they would have been martyred by now. We look askance at hok traditions, but in reality they aren't so different from us. (Except, of course, they root for the wrong school.)

1088347.gif

I disagree a little. I know of no cyclones like this

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Also when a person dies young, people tend to try very hard to preserve their memory, and they don’t have to have any degree of fame for that to be the case.

Just locally, I know two families that continue to have some type of remembrance on anniversaries of a death decades later. One was a murder victim at age 15, another died in a car accident. The first family has a benefit dinner for domestic violence victims, the other has a charity 5k.

Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
4:47, air drummed to Phil Collin while driving down Xenia Avenue. Like who won't?

BTW, my lungs are officially a bit pissed off at me right now. They did not like the run. Well, **** them, they have never liked me much anyway, damn wheezy congested organs that they are. :confused:

Reactions: oldman and wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.