Chris Street #40

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It really was shocking and maybe it was just the timing but definitely a 'where were you' moment.

Iowa was pretty good back then and I remember him being someone that played real hard and all indications were that he embodied what college athletics are about.

It obviously didn't heal any real wounds but even as an ISU fan (they were decent then too) it was very cool to see them go out and beat the Fab Five.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am friends with a lot of Chris's family. Good people. His Nephew Tyler is commited to the Hawks for football. Also has a really good Niece playing basketball at Kingdom and soccer at Rush.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Many can remember where they were but I can't. I was 12 at the time which is old enough that I should remember. It's a unique thing that regardless which side of this rivalry you are on the players that are from this state that play in state you have great respect for because in the end we are all Iowans.

Reactions: breck53

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
I was only 5 when this happened so I don't remember anything about it. I'll be honest I didn't really know about this until I started listening to 1460 a few years ago. At first I didn't really get what the fuss was about. Was it tragic? Of course, but still didn't get the coverage. Over the past few years around this time I hear stories about him and what kid of young man he was (not just a basketball player but the person) and I can see it now. It sounds like he was a great guy and wish we had more people like this.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I was on Duff Ave just South of Happy Joe's when I heard it. I was attending ISU and felt terrible. I had also worked with the plow truck driver the summer before when I went home to work on the Johnson County Secondary road crew. Such a loss.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
A great person. Hard to believe it has been that long. Will never forget that night.

Little nugget - he was pretty darn good QB in HS. Had to be imposing seeing someone his size stiff arming dudes as he was back throwing passes.

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was only 5 when this happened so I don't remember anything about it. I'll be honest I didn't really know about this until I started listening to 1460 a few years ago. At first I didn't really get what the fuss was about. Was it tragic? Of course, but still didn't get the coverage. Over the past few years around this time I hear stories about him and what kid of young man he was (not just a basketball player but the person) and I can see it now. It sounds like he was a great guy and wish we had more people like this.

I view it as similar to what ISU did on anniversary of cross country plane crash. These kids touch our lives and their youth adds a “what might have been” factor. Can’t imagine what it would have been like to lose someone like Fred or Georges when they were 20 years old in the heart of the basketball season.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I grew up just outside of Iowa City, so grew up a hawk fan. I was 7 when it happened, and remember my mom telling me about it. I remember being really sad about it.

• Useful
Reactions: AllN4ISU

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
A great person. Hard to believe it has been that long. Will never forget that night.

Little nugget - he was pretty darn good QB in HS. Had to be imposing seeing someone his size stiff arming dudes as he was back throwing passes.

He was a D1 Quarterback. He was also projected to get drafted as a pitcher.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Growing up in Indianola it was a very big deal. I was a few years behind him but seemed to be quite nice and appreciative of the attention he got. Knew lots of lesser athletes over time who were massive jerks so I appreciate how he acted. I recall lying in my bed listening to coverage the next morning after hearing it was a snow day. I was also an Iowa fan at that time so it all seemed pretty surreal.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
He was a D1 Quarterback. He was also projected to get drafted as a pitcher.
He was just a very gifted, stud athlete, but what set him apart was his work ethic & his relentlessness. While a lot was expected of him, I think he exceeded expectations his first 2 years playing the amount he did & a lot had to do with the effort he always gave. You couldn’t help but notice & respect it, and he thoroughly enjoyed it & that showed just as clearly.

He wasn’t Mr Basketball in Iowa his senior year as that went to Mike Davis (who was a beast) of East Waterloo. Chris missed games due to injury though (probably was still close) & Indianola & East Waterloo met in the semis at State. Chris was back then but he was wearing a brace (think it was his Achilles), so he wasn’t even close to 100%. Indianola had another big guy taller than CS (forgetting his name at the moment) so they had a twin towers type of team. E Waterloo had MD & a bunch of really good athletes (1 was LeShane Sadler, who I think went to Notre Dame & played football). Great HS game.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I grew up just outside of Iowa City, so grew up a hawk fan. I was 7 when it happened, and remember my mom telling me about it. I remember being really sad about it.

Similar story to me, although I grew up in Davenport. 25 years ago means I was 14 and an Iowa fan at the time (I would switch over to Iowa State 3 years later after getting my acceptance letter), although I could have sworn I was younger than that. It was a really rough time to be a basketball fan because Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic died right around the same time as well. I had all three hand-drawn "jerseys" hung on my bedroom door as a memorial to them.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Best way I could describe him is a Ryan Spangler with Dustin Hogue-like intensity and a lot of talent to match. Diving for every loose ball, fighting for every rebound. A guy that you absolutely love when he's on your team, and hate when he's not.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Always been a Cyclone but as a kid I read every word the Omaha World Herald and DM Register sports pages on a daily basis so I had followed all the instate kids through their high school and college careers, hearing of Chris's passing hit pretty hard. Probably more out of being obsessed with Fred than Street, I wore #40 through jr high and high school.

Random related story, in high school I was part of the yearbook staff, at some point Jostens or some other company gave us a box of sample yearbooks that ended up in my trunk of my car and eventually my parents storage. Fast forward 15 years,my parents were purging all of my old crap and while sorting though stuff I found that box, one of the samples is an Indianola yearbook from his senior year.