NEW TODAY: Mel Kiper Jr. on Allen Lazard and Joel Lanning

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Lazard early to mid Day 3? I smell UFA coming. Hopefully he proves people wrong at the SR Bowl and combine.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Overall not great news for our guys. And where is KCM? I figured he'd at least be in the conversation of getting drafted

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Maybe if he would spend time on practicing and playing in a bowl game instead of other activities.

• Useful
Reactions: WastedTalent

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Does the NFL just not respect ISU and refuse to draft clearly worthy players because of it?

I look at how many guys Iowa puts into the NFL, but they're almost always just a little better than average. The NFL seems frequently prone to group think and getting stuck in illogical ruts, so that could be the case.

If Lazard goes undrafted, I'd have to think it will be due to this and not his actual ability. That could become a major negative recruiting tool against us down the road.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Lazard should go day 2 or early day 3. Id put him as round 3-4. Lanning is interesting because I think that depends more on a specific team than the whole league. I think some teams value him 5-6 but see him likely to go 7-UFA since others won’t value him at all.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Does the NFL just not respect ISU and refuse to draft clearly worthy players because of it?

I look at how many guys Iowa puts into the NFL, but they're almost always just a little better than average. The NFL seems frequently prone to group think and getting stuck in illogical ruts, so that could be the case.

If Lazard goes undrafted, I'd have to think it will be due to this and not his actual ability. That could become a major negative recruiting tool against us down the road.

I have more faith in the NFL to evaluate players than the NBA. I'm convinced that Lazard will land on a roster and make a team (and make an impact). Joel is a bit more of an unknown quantity, but he seems like a guy that someone will take a chance on as an all around football player.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Lazard is something a lot of teams need. A big red zone target that can go up and get the ball. His biggest knock will be proving he has the speed to play on the rest of the field. His biggest opposition to being an early draft pick will be the off season performance of Marcell Ateman, Simmie Cobbs Jr, and E St. Brown.

He has to prove he is the best of those 4 guys. All have similar height, and receiving traits. of the four St. Brown has the lowest floor but arguably the highest ceiling, but his lack of weight for his height kind of gives him some different traits than the other 3.

On average 32 receivers get drafted a year. I don't think anyone can argue that Lazard isn't one of the best 32 receivers in the draft. The average number of receivers taken in the 1st is 4, in the 2nd is 4, and in the 3rd is 5. The argument he needs to prove is that he is the best "big" receiver option after Courtland Sutton, and that he is one of the best 13 receivers in the draft.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Here's a guy that criticizes everybody, whoever they take. ... And in my knowledge of him, he's never, ever put on a jock strap. He's never been a player. He's never been a coach. He's never been a scout. He's never been an administrator. And, all of a sudden, he's an expert. Bill Tobin

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lazard should go day 2 or early day 3. Id put him as round 3-4. Lanning is interesting because I think that depends more on a specific team than the whole league. I think some teams value him 5-6 but see him likely to go 7-UFA since others won’t value him at all.

Yeah, with Lanning, it's a value proposition. Teams will only take him in the 5th/6th, if they think other teams will take him that early. So not being on other teams draft boards will be a big knock on him. UDFA will be the most likely outcome, and hopefully that means he lands with a team that really wants to develop him and hold on to him for a bit so he can prove himself.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Teams are not going to like his combine 40 time.

Are the combine invites out yet?

Invite list isn't posted til early February. Honestly if he can run a 4.55 or faster he will be sitting in a great position. There is no reason to think that he can't get his 40 time down to that level, most wr/rb spend the 2 months after bowl season before the combine training to do well on the combine tests. I am assuming he hired an agent and left ISU to train else where.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

Bottom line is Lazard needs a good combine and Senior bowl. If the NFL is married to anything it's measurable's over on field production. We saw this last year with King.....

I think Lazard sticks wether it be as a late round draft pick or UFA.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lazard is something a lot of teams need. A big red zone target that can go up and get the ball. His biggest knock will be proving he has the speed to play on the rest of the field. His biggest opposition to being an early draft pick will be the off season performance of Marcell Ateman, Simmie Cobbs Jr, and E St. Brown.

He has to prove he is the best of those 4 guys. All have similar height, and receiving traits. of the four St. Brown has the lowest floor but arguably the highest ceiling, but his lack of weight for his height kind of gives him some different traits than the other 3.

On average 32 receivers get drafted a year. I don't think anyone can argue that Lazard isn't one of the best 32 receivers in the draft. The average number of receivers taken in the 1st is 4, in the 2nd is 4, and in the 3rd is 5. The argument he needs to prove is that he is the best "big" receiver option after Courtland Sutton, and that he is one of the best 13 receivers in the draft.

Somebody is going to get a STEAL with Lazard. Hopefully it's a good team with the talent to win games, because that's where Lazard will thrive. He can be a solid red zone weapon for a good team and his work ethic and blocking should keep him in the league. If the Browns or some other horrible organization drafts him, expecting him to solve all their problems, they are going to screw him over and cut him.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Invite list isn't posted til early February. Honestly if he can run a 4.55 or faster he will be sitting in a great position. There is no reason to think that he can't get his 40 time down to that level, most wr/rb spend the 2 months after bowl season before the combine training to do well on the combine tests. I am assuming he hired an agent and left ISU to train else where.

I have a feeling he will be in the 4.6 range. He's a big guy. There are a lot of WRs who are very successful at that speed, but he will have a lot to prove.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Lazard is a day 3 guy. He’s not fast. He doesn’t get good seperation and he drops a lot of passes. Scouts are going to see his drops and drop him on the their board. If he has a great senior bowl and combine, he will go up on some draft boards. The earliest I can see him going right now is in the 5th round. There is no doubt he can make an NFL roster with his size and red zone ability, but he’s going to have to improve his hands and his seperation skills to stick.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone