Best All-Inclusive Resorts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
We have been to the Excellence Rivera Cancun multiple times and really like it.
Heading to the Royal Playa Del Carmen in April, have never been but have relatives that have been and it comes highly recommended.

When I look at all inclusive resorts, I look at reviews on tripadvisor, etc. I look for the quality of food and drink. Thats where they get you. You are a captive audience that has already paid for your stay. some places the food is terrible and you are stuck there unless you want to leave the resort for food. Or the liquor selection is terrible.

CycloneAS93

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 31, 2017
Price range around 5k-6k. Looking anywhere. Been to Riviera Maya and Jamaica. Loved Jamaica and want to go back but she insists on trying somewhere new.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We have been to the Excellence Rivera Cancun multiple times and really like it.
Heading to the Royal Playa Del Carmen in April, have never been but have relatives that have been and it comes highly recommended.

When I look at all inclusive resorts, I look at reviews on tripadvisor, etc. I look for the quality of food and drink. Thats where they get you. You are a captive audience that has already paid for your stay. some places the food is terrible and you are stuck there unless you want to leave the resort for food. Or the liquor selection is terrible.
This is really good source too as they come out with a top 10 All-Inclusive's each year, both worldwide and regionally, you can also look at the rank within a city as well.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Price range around 5k-6k. Looking anywhere. Been to Riviera Maya and Jamaica. Loved Jamaica and want to go back but she insists on trying somewhere new.
Do you have a zika fear? If not the Dominican Republic is amazing. We stayed at Excellence Punta Cana. The zika question is because DR is one of the worst of mosquitos. Also love Sandals Emerald Bay (Bahamas), but you have to go the right time of year as a winter trip is comparable weather to FL.
Plus if your wife wants something new and you are stuck on Jamaica, I would regionally try a different location, where did you go in Jamaica when you last went? I have stayed in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Whitehouse and this year am going Negril, thought the country has the same feel and fun loving people, the regions vary for views and things to do.....
Also went to St. Lucia last year but would not recommend that, was over priced and probably one of my least favorite trips....

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

I’m certainly no expert here, but we are currently at Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana. We are having a good time, but the 1st day was hell. The resort tries to get you to participate in time share, and are relentless. Since then though, it has been really nice. Food is pretty decent and the drinks are flowing.

We spoke to a couple who has been to a lot of places in the DR, and they say Excellence is “hands down” the best.

We’ve been to Riviera Maya and Couples Negril, Jamaica.

Out of these, Couples Negril is by far the best. It was really hard leaving that place, and we’ve thought about it every year since we’ve been there.

Again...no expert, so FWIW.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Excellence El Carmen in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic was great. It is an adults only resort. Beach was great and they had 13 restaurants on the resort. I didn’t dislike any restaurants that we went to. Get a room with a private pool/garden.

Reactions: serverguy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My wife and I went to Beloved Playa Mujeres. We absolutely loved it! A lot of delicious food options and great drinks to be had. The staff there was incredible. I wish we had stayed an extra night. We spent well less than 5-6k so you could have a longer stay and do a lot of their fun activities or tours as well.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Couples Swept Away in Jamaica is my suggestion, but you want to go somewhere else. I would think another island would be nice. No way I would go to Mexico right now.

Don't let the warnings bother you about Mexico. We continue to go there several times a year. If you are staying a nice resort in Playa Del Carmen or Punta Mita or Cabo you will be fine. The people that get into trouble in Mexico are those that stray away from their resort to local neighborhoods where tourists stand out. In spite of the all the cartel violence, going to any of the three locations I referenced, you will safer than much of Los Angeles.

As for all inclusive, the top of the line I know that has locations in both Cabo and Playa are the Grand Velas branded hotels. They are pricey, but the quality of accommodations, food and drink are second to none.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneNorth

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana Dominican Republic is my current standard bearer. Others I have been to haven't been close to it.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
We have thoroughly enjoyed El Dorado Royale and Casitas Royale in Playa del Carmen. It has many pools, 9 restaurants, and a mile long beach.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We went to El Presidente Intercontinental in San Jose Del Cabo and we loved it. But that was over 15 years ago so I don't know how well it has been maintained.

I just looked it up and it looks like it is a Holiday Inn property now.

83cy

May 14, 2006
For the life of me I can't believe how people like DR, you leave the property and people are living in ditches. We stayed at Melia Caribe 4.4 stars out of 5. People working there acted like they hated their jobs (yes I tipped but it didn't seem to help), food was bad (tang for orange juice, pork chops that looked like a pigs ear) security guards on the beach with assault rifles. Seaweed on the beaches. Rooms had a 2 inch gap under the door which allowed small reptiles to come into your room. A/C that was on a motion detector from 8 am until 8 pm i.e. if you wanted to sleep in, the A/C would turn off at 8 am when you came back after a day at the beach the room was hot. Its a third world country with third world problems. Granted if you want to just get drunk and hang at the beach it's a relatively cheap option. You get what you pay for, I will not go back.