Is this the beginning of the end of football?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So when do they start to say running causes CTE? The brain probably moves in the skull when jogging. I’m kinda joking but slightly serious. I would be sad to see college football come to an end.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Agree, this is somewhere in the middle of the beginning of the end.

So nearing the end of the beginning of the end and subsequently the beginning of the middle of the end?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
What level of catastrophic injury will it take? Bears tight end almost lost his leg due to a ruptured blood vessel in his leg.

CTE will ruin you

But the millions of dollars you earn gets your family out of poverty for your and hopefully their lifetime....health for money

Reminds me of an equally gruesome leg injury suffered by Napolean McCallum of the Raiders. If you're faint of heart DO NOT watch this linked video. NM had to undergo a surgery to save his leg/life and never played football again. Read that he walks with a severe limp.
Youtube doesn't allow it to be played here, so follow the link to YT to watch. :50 mark is where to begin.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
No they aren't. They are informing the public of a serious issue.

Boys do tend to under-report. However, in the past few years, in-game examination of FB players for possible concussion has become much more rigorous. Even with that, girls soccer is still reporting more concussions per capita.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/G...her-Risk-of-Concussion-Doctors-452602893.html

Many young athletes think they are pretty tough...

Isn't the point to prevent CTE? Right now, data indicates that girls soccer per capita is generating the most concussions. Whether or not there are some reporting issues, this is still a serious problem, and the issue needs to be publicized and addressed. Why does that article need to address football? In fact, I would argue that if the article would emphasize "how dangerous football is compared to" (to whatever degree that is true), it would tend to lessen the focus on the issue that girls soccer has.
"Per capita" is the wrong description of the results of that study linked in the article you posted. I read the study and there was not a single instance of the word "capita". It's the proportion of brain injuries in comparison to total injuries.

They do say girls soccer concussions are almost the same as football but I don't see any data to prove that, I just see the proportional bar graph.

Even so, soccer can eliminate headers and still be soccer, which probably contributes to a high majority of the concussions.

Would flag football still even be football? A lot harder to eliminate head blows in football when contact is a dominant aspect of the sport.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
What level of catastrophic injury will it take? Bears tight end almost lost his leg due to a ruptured blood vessel in his leg.

CTE will ruin you

But the millions of dollars you earn gets your family out of poverty for your and hopefully their lifetime....health for money

We will do more to change football and prevent a few suicides and occasional murder than we will ever do to stop weekly mass murders by people without CTE. Mostly because we are sheep.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
New study shows that it is actually the hits that someone encounters during athletic events...also clears up definitions of concussion, CTE, and TBI. Eye opening was that the CTE was found in teenagers well prior to entering college. Also states that concussions are not the cause of CTE...simply a syndrome of symptoms that results from the traumatic brain injury (the hit).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-1030am:homepage/story&utm_term=.fe205358c6a4

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
New study shows that it is actually the hits that someone encounters during athletic events...also clears up definitions of concussion, CTE, and TBI. Eye opening was that the CTE was found in teenagers well prior to entering college. Also states that concussions are not the cause of CTE...simply a syndrome of symptoms that results from the traumatic brain injury (the hit).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/18/a-new-study-shows-that-hits-to-the-head-not-concussions-cause-cte/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories-2_cte-1030am:homepage/story&utm_term=.fe205358c6a4

That article is confusing. It states concussions are not indicative of CTE.. But upon four reports of amateur athletes with diagnosed concussion and subsequent mortality by related traumatic event, three had abnormal tau aggregate buildup - indicative of CTE.

Also not liking the comment about CTE being a "bonafide neurodegenerative disorder". In some cases it is hard to argue but if CTE is as common as the BU group is projecting, how do you reconcile the fact that, presumably, a high percentage of the population lives normal lifespans with limited effects with a progressive neurodegenerative disease that they may have had since they were adolescents?

I'm grateful for the work that the Boston group does, but I feel like they are a bit excessive with the press and fear mongering. Their agenda just feels more like their only goal is to prevent the disease and do away with sports. Perhaps a symptom of the adversity they have faced from sports organizations like the NFL.

I like that they are starting to experiment with mouse models. At this point people believe in CTE and causal links. It should open doors to neurogenic drugs and therapies for removing or preventing the accumulation of tau.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Football will die when the heath insurance industry decides that it will no longer cover sports related head injuries. Once that happens, parents will no longer be able to afford to let their kids play football, and schools will stop fielding teams in order to avoid liability. Once football dies at the youth level, every level above will wither.

You've nailed it. Health coverage will be diminished and liability issues will increase. It will still take years for the decline of football to happen. I don't think football will completely die, but year after year, there will be less and less kids playing football and thus fewer schools being able to field a team. Many small high school districts will not be able to afford the cost of liability insurance and the likely huge liability deductibles forced upon them in the event of a claim. Also, all of the safety measures and concussion protocols are only band aids.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
That article is confusing. It states concussions are not indicative of CTE.. But upon four reports of amateur athletes with diagnosed concussion and subsequent mortality by related traumatic event, three had abnormal tau aggregate buildup - indicative of CTE.

Also not liking the comment about CTE being a "bonafide neurodegenerative disorder". In some cases it is hard to argue but if CTE is as common as the BU group is projecting, how do you reconcile the fact that, presumably, a high percentage of the population lives normal lifespans with limited effects with a progressive neurodegenerative disease that they may have had since they were adolescents?

I'm grateful for the work that the Boston group does, but I feel like they are a bit excessive with the press and fear mongering. Their agenda just feels more like their only goal is to prevent the disease and do away with sports. Perhaps a symptom of the adversity they have faced from sports organizations like the NFL.

I like that they are starting to experiment with mouse models. At this point people believe in CTE and causal links. It should open doors to neurogenic drugs and therapies for removing or preventing the accumulation of tau.
You make some very valid and compelling points. I've been bouncing around an idea that Tau accumulation is actually a normal part of the aging process...everyone hits their heads at some point in their life. It's just that excessive hits to the head in many sports simply accelerate the process causing more Tau accumulation and the degenerative effects. Not sure if there every will be a Tau "shot" or "therapy", but it is good that they are starting to look at that.

As for the scare tactics, one thing that does come out of this new research is the possibility that each hit causes Tau accumulation...and that the Tau doesn't go away. Hard to justify the dozens of hits that take place during a daily practice or game. You then multiply that times 5, 10, 15 years of participation. Not sure where this will go, but it certainly is going to be a significant area of discussion. As was earlier stated, if insurance stops covering sports head injuries, public school participation will suddenly cease.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
As was earlier stated, if insurance stops covering sports head injuries, public school participation will suddenly cease.

Not only health insurance, but life insurance companies could begin to place certain activities in your past like football as "high risk"

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I also believe tau accumulation is a "normal" part of aging just like you would consider cancer and a reduced immune system a normal part of aging. Tau protein is a normal, essential part of our neurologic system. Presumably, simply preventing it from aggregating will end concerns about CTE and possibly other subtypes of Alzheimers. I genuinely believe this will be treatable in next decades. I really don't see football going the way of boxing.

I also don't see it affecting liability/health insurance since we are probably going to see universal healthcare long before insurance premiums catch up with any research on the long term risks of football for amateur athletes.... Unless automation gets put on hold.

Life insurance? Maybe. But the only legit population studies that exist for high school football players indicates that there really is no cognitive impairment when compared to norms. The only people who seem to be at an increased risk of premature death played college and the NFL, and I'm not even sure the evidence supports that right now when adjusted to other confounding variables.