Hinterland 2017

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Jack White is free August 3rd or 4th.... August 6th in Minneapolis.....

I have a feeling that a few of them will come from this list because similar to Shakey Graves last year they play in town in the spring.... Lucero, Whiskey Myer, and Colter Wall......

Oh hell yah. Jack White would be fan-freakin'-tastic.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I feel like Jack White might be too big of a name. He has headlined Lolla and other major fests.

Some of my hopefuls:
Sylvan Esso
Reignwolf
Matt and Kim
Vampire Weekend
Father John Misty
Sheepdogs
Make Gary Clark Jr. a permanent act.
I think someone like Elder would be too heavy, but their newest album is killer.
Martin Sexton
S. Carey
Collin Stetson

Just off the top of my head.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I feel like Jack White might be too big of a name. He has headlined Lolla and other major fests.

Some of my hopefuls:
Sylvan Esso
Reignwolf
Matt and Kim
Vampire Weekend
Father John Misty
Sheepdogs
I think someone like Elder would be too heavy, but their newest album is killer.
Martin Sexton
S. Carey
Collin Stetson

Love the idea of Gary Clark Jr. an annual fixture in the lineup. In hindsight, he should have closed the show last year.

In addition to Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, I'm also hoping for any of the following:

Hiss Golden Messenger
Leon Bridges
Anderson Paak
Anderson East
Alabama Shakes
Blitzen Trapper
The Revivalists

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Some of my hopefuls:
Sylvan Esso
Reignwolf
Matt and Kim
Vampire Weekend
Father John Misty
Sheepdogs
Martin Sexton
S. Carey
Collin Stetson

Love the idea of Gary Clark Jr. an annual fixture in the lineup. In hindsight, he should have closed the show last year.

In addition to Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, I'm also hoping for any of the following:

Hiss Golden Messenger
Leon Bridges
Anderson Paak
Anderson East
Alabama Shakes
Blitzen Trapper
The Revivalists

As much as I'd love Jack White, I agree he's also likely just too big of a name. But it's jut my gut. And I would LOVE if GCJr were an annual tradition - he stole Saturday last year, should have closed it out.

I also had wondered about Sylvan Esso, Father John Misty, and Rateliff. I would LOVE to see Leon Bridges and Alabama Shakes, but feel like they're also too big of names at this point. LOVE Anderson .Paak, but not sure if the hip hop thing would fly as a main act at Hinterland? I'd dig it!

Some bands with stuff coming out this year that I would not be surprised if we saw at either Hinterland or 80/35 (esp since some have already been to Iowa):

First Aid Kit
The Shins
Bahamas (I love their new single)
Franz Ferdinand
Belle & Sebastian
Moby
Titus Andronicus (maybe more 80/35 than Hinterland?)
Fratellis
The 1975
My Morning Jacket

Gorillaz looks to have something coming out this year - they'd be amazing, but probably too big?

Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As much as I'd love Jack White, I agree he's also likely just too big of a name. But it's jut my gut. And I would LOVE if GCJr were an annual tradition - he stole Saturday last year, should have closed it out.

I also had wondered about Sylvan Esso, Father John Misty, and Rateliff. I would LOVE to see Leon Bridges and Alabama Shakes, but feel like they're also too big of names at this point. LOVE Anderson .Paak, but not sure if the hip hop thing would fly as a main act at Hinterland? I'd dig it!

Some bands with stuff coming out this year that I would not be surprised if we saw at either Hinterland or 80/35 (esp since some have already been to Iowa):

First Aid Kit
The Shins
Bahamas (I love their new single)
Franz Ferdinand
Belle & Sebastian
Moby
Titus Andronicus (maybe more 80/35 than Hinterland?)
Fratellis
The 1975
My Morning Jacket

Gorillaz looks to have something coming out this year - they'd be amazing, but probably too big?

I didn't know Bahamas had something new out! I'll have to look into that tonight.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I didn't know Bahamas had something new out! I'll have to look into that tonight.

I think within the next couple of months! Check out "Bad Boys Need Love Too" - it's awesome.

Reactions: jbindm

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Hiss Golden Messenger
Leon Bridges
Anderson Paak
Anderson East
Alabama Shakes
Blitzen Trapper
The Revivalists
Great list. Hadn't heard of Anderson East so thanks for that one! He is great.

• Agree
Reactions: jburke

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hinterland is more of an Americana based line up and 80/35 is more alternative rock/electric, although each festival has acts that cross over.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hinterland go after Jason Isbell or Sturgill Simpson.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hinterland is more of an Americana based line up and 80/35 is more alternative rock/electric, although each festival has acts that cross over.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hinterland go after Jason Isbell or Sturgill Simpson.

I'm on board with either one.

• Agree
Reactions: jburke

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

They kinda departed from that last year with Alt J imo. Sturgill would be awesome. MMJ would be incredible. Even just Jim James would be alright with me.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I might be most excited about J Roddy Walston. He is awesome. But Sturgill Simpson, Nathaniel Rateliff... This is great. I loved Band of Horses live about 14 months ago when they were at Hoyt Sherman. Chvrches is good, too.