Austin, TX

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cynuck

Dec 29, 2014
I'm considering taking a position in Austin. Any guidance from those who know?

The company might fly my wife and I out there to help us make our mind. Anything we should watch out for?

I'm particularly interested in whether I should rent or buy, and where. Seems like renting is the more expensive option based on the limited research I've done.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm sure someone from the area will have more specific information. From what I have heard, Austin is a great city and a liberal stronghold in the middle of conservative Texas. How that affects you is up to you, but that's the general consensus.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My parents live outside of Austin, in Cedar Park.

It is a cool place and have enjoyed my visits to the city. My parents seem to like it as well. All of their friend that they have are essentially midwest transplants, like themselves.

The place is growing like mad and there is a labor shortage. My parents just built a house, and it took around a year to build because construction is so backed up. So real estate may be a challenge, I would expect it to keep going up.

Also, Austin is one of 20 finalists in Amazons bid for a second headquarters. I personally think that Austin will end up getting the second headquarters for Amazon. Not sure if this matters in your decision.

Reactions: cynuck

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Meh, I hear New England is really expensive...

B9BDiG9IUAAhZTf.jpg:large

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We used to visit the Austin/San Antonio area every year and love it down there. I look for positions down there every so often because we like it down there so much.

Great food, good people, good weather, lots of outdoor activities in the area, and get to watch the clones a few times a year!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Austin is awesome, except for traffic. Welcome to TX! You'll enjoy not paying state income taxes!

Yes and Yes, best and worst thing about a job in Austin probably! The traffic through their is god awful! 35 from Dallas to San Antonio is a stop and go **** show.

No state tax is money (literally) though.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Going there for business in a few days so I appreciate some of the insight to that city!

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I will second the Austin is awesome post, along with the traffic being terrible. Overall a nice place. I would recommend buying, just because rent is so high. My mortgage payment is actually cheaper than the rent I was paying. The schools are great In Round Rock, Cedar Park, and OK in Pflugerville. I would stay away from the Austin school district, unless private schooling is an option, but thats just me.

Austin and the surrounding burbs are exploding right now with all of the tech companies. This is good and bad. Good in that their are several jobs (in my field anyway), but bad in that the traffic is not getting any better.

Knowing what I know now (been in the Austin area for about 2.5 yrs) I would still move here.

The food is fantastic, the music scene is great, and the people are friendly (for the most part)

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I would recommend buying, just because rent is so high. My mortgage payment is actually cheaper than the rent I was paying.

I disagree with this advice, at least in the short term. When I moved to another city in a different part of the country, I bought in four months. Wish I hadn't done it so soon and had explored the area better before buying. Now I'm selling and moving again simply to change areas.

Rent may be more expensive, but it's hopefully temporary and it leaves your options open. Take your time choosing your area.

cynuck

Dec 29, 2014
I will second the Austin is awesome post, along with the traffic being terrible. Overall a nice place. I would recommend buying, just because rent is so high. My mortgage payment is actually cheaper than the rent I was paying. The schools are great In Round Rock, Cedar Park, and OK in Pflugerville. I would stay away from the Austin school district, unless private schooling is an option, but thats just me.

Austin and the surrounding burbs are exploding right now with all of the tech companies. This is good and bad. Good in that their are several jobs (in my field anyway), but bad in that the traffic is not getting any better.

Knowing what I know now (been in the Austin area for about 2.5 yrs) I would still move here.

The food is fantastic, the music scene is great, and the people are friendly (for the most part)

We seem to be in the same field. I'm in ASIC design myself, and it looks like the field is growing there.

Interesting point about the schools, as an outsider I would have thought Austin schools might have been better.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I disagree with this advice, at least in the short term. When I moved to another city in a different part of the country, I bought in four months. Wish I hadn't done it so soon and had explored the area better before buying. Now I'm selling and moving again simply to change areas.

Rent may be more expensive, but it's hopefully temporary and it leaves your options open.
I dont disagree with this. I rented the first year down here and decided to buy after my year lease was up. That did give me an advantage as I already knew the area and wasnt going into the market completely blind.

Ill say housing is reasonable if youre in way south Austin, or north Austin (including the burbs). If youre looking to buy within 5 miles of downtown you'll be spending double or triple what you would north or south.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
We seem to be in the same field. I'm in ASIC design myself, and it looks like the field is growing there.

Interesting point about the schools, as an outsider I would have thought Austin schools might have been better.

Nice! Im a mainframe circuit designer myself.

As far as the schools go, Austin is a top 10 city as far as populous goes (almost a million in Austin alone, 2 million if you count the surrounding cities), so the schools reflect that of a large metropolitan area. Just my 2 cents.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Try to live as close to your work as possible. I have only visited once, but have heard transportation is a nightmare, they are trying to build up the infrastructure but it does seem like a bit of mess. My company just go acquired from a company in Austin, so plenty of visits on the horizon.

dkdean

Mar 19, 2011
Texas
I'm in microprocessor design and I'm really glad we moved to Austin. We've been here since we graduated from Iowa State. Austin has really grown. The traffic really is the only major issue. I live up north and work down south. Luckily I started riding in a vanpool the last year and we get to take the new Mopac express lane for free. That has dramatically improved my commute.

My kids go to Austin schools and I think they are fine. It really depends on where you live and which vertical (elementary, middle, high school) you feed into. There are no issues with our schools. Safe and the kids are getting a good education. There is a lot of parent involvement in our schools so that helps tremendously.

Real estate has went crazy here the last few years. Renting is pretty expensive, but it still might be your best bet until you know the area and where you want to live. There are lots of house available for rent all over town.

Send me a private message if you want to talk more and get more scoop. We can even meet for dinner when your in town if you want to get more info. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm in microprocessor design and I'm really glad we moved to Austin. We've been here since we graduated from Iowa State. Austin has really grown. The traffic really is the only major issue. I live up north and work down south. Luckily I started riding in a vanpool the last year and we get to take the new Mopac express lane for free. That has dramatically improved my commute.

My kids go to Austin schools and I think they are fine. It really depends on where you live and which vertical (elementary, middle, high school) you feed into. There are no issues with our schools. Safe and the kids are getting a good education. There is a lot of parent involvement in our schools so that helps tremendously.

Real estate has went crazy here the last few years. Renting is pretty expensive, but it still might be your best bet until you know the area and where you want to live. There are lots of house available for rent all over town.

Send me a private message if you want to talk more and get more scoop. We can even meet for dinner when your in town if you want to get more info. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
I'll second what dkdean said, feel free to send me a private message if you have anymore questions. Best of luck!