Favorite Movies of 2017

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
One of those things to each their own I guess. Again, with all the movies I post, the vast vast majority of them are not seen in the theater by me, but rather are seen through blu-ray, even though I still do go to a fair amount of movies in theater..... usually something like 1-2 movies a month. I've currently got the new $10/month movie pass for unlimited movies I want to see in theaters, which helps a bunch. Cost ends up being pretty much the same as a Netflix subscription.

I was looking at the movie pass option since it seems like the cheaper option if you end up going to more than 1 movie a month. Can you use the card to order tickets online? I assume you can, but I didn't research it very much. Their ad said "Use your MoviePass card to get your ticket at the box office or kiosk."

With assigned seating, I don't want to have to go to the theater just to secure tickets.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was looking at the movie pass option since it seems like the cheaper option if you end up going to more than 1 movie a month. Can you use the card to order tickets online? I assume you can, but I didn't research it very much. Their ad said "Use your MoviePass card to get your ticket at the box office or kiosk."

With assigned seating, I don't want to have to go to the theater just to secure tickets.

I don't think so. That is one downfall I believe of it. The way it works is that you get a Moviepass debit card, download the app, then only the day of, you find the theater you want to go to on it, you select the showtime you want to go to, then it gives you 30 minutes to use the debit card to purchase your ticket at the box office. Therefore, I'm pretty sure you an only purchase movies on the day of showing. This sucked for me with Star Wars as while I had movie pass, I still paid for a ticket in advance so that I could be there for the opening showing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My better half despises comic book movies, so if I'm going to see Black Panther in a theater it'll probably have to be on a weekday afternoon. Which is fine. I hate crowded theaters.

I'm somewhat in this boat too with my spouse. It's like pulling teeth trying to get her to go to one of them with me. Oh well.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't think so. That is one downfall I believe of it. The way it works is that you get a Moviepass debit card, download the app, then only the day of, you find the theater you want to go to on it, you select the showtime you want to go to, then it gives you 30 minutes to use the debit card to purchase your ticket at the box office. Therefore, I'm pretty sure you an only purchase movies on the day of showing. This sucked for me with Star Wars as while I had movie pass, I still paid for a ticket in advance so that I could be there for the opening showing.

Thanks. This initially seemed like a good option, but as I started reading through their terms and conditions, I was thinking this wouldn't be my best option.

55dB

Dec 21, 2014
Omaha
Wonderwoman
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
Hidden Figures
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
I, Tonya
The Greatest Showman
Logan
Pitch Perfect 3
Coco
Molly's Game
Beauty and the Beast
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Get Out
Battle of the Sexes
Blade Runner 2049
All the Money in the World
Justice League
Murder on the Orient Express
Downsizing
Transformers: The Last Knight

For the movies seen in a theater.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wonderwoman
Lady Bird
The Big Sick
Hidden Figures
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
I, Tonya
The Greatest Showman
Logan
Pitch Perfect 3
Coco
Molly's Game
Beauty and the Beast
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Get Out
Battle of the Sexes
Blade Runner 2049
All the Money in the World
Justice League
Murder on the Orient Express
Downsizing
Transformers: The Last Knight

For the movies seen in a theater.

What did you think of Molly's Game? I've got that one on my shortlist of rentals once it's available through Amazon or whatever.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What did you think of Molly's Game? I've got that one on my shortlist of rentals once it's available through Amazon or whatever.

I just saw Molly's Game last week and really liked it. I didn't think it was amazing, but it was very intriguing for sure and entertaining throughout. Just the background story alone is very interesting where I found myself doing a lot of googling afterwards. I will say this though, it might be a bit long and it does shove a lot of details at you very quickly, where you've kind of got to keep on your toes to keep up. As for the cleavage comment, eh, there is much worse out there.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I just saw Molly's Game last week and really liked it. I didn't think it was amazing, but it was very intriguing for sure and entertaining throughout. Just the background story alone is very interesting where I found myself doing a lot of googling afterwards. I will say this though, it might be a bit long and it does shove a lot of details at you very quickly, where you've kind of got to keep on your toes to keep up. As for the cleavage comment, eh, there is much worse out there.
Leaving something to be desired. Keep it classy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

That's what I wondered about. This is Sorkin's first time as a director, right? I've always figured that his scripts are good but wordy and long winded, and a good director would cut them down to what they needed to be. With no check on that your description doesn't surprise me. I still want to see it. And I kind of want to read the book first.

55dB

Dec 21, 2014
Omaha
I enjoyed Molly's Game. It is a bit wordy and long winded at points, but it never feels slow. Worth renting, at the very least. I also felt compelled to read about the real life story after I got home trying to figure out who "player x" was.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I enjoyed Molly's Game. It is a bit wordy and long winded at points, but it never feels slow. Worth renting, at the very least. I also felt compelled to read about the real life story after I got home trying to figure out who "player x" was.

Who Player X is was worth googling in and of itself. I had no idea that particular actor was so involved in these underground poker games. .

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Post was excellent. Probably my #2 of the year after Get Out (or maybe Dunkirk to push it to #3). Excellent cast, masterful Spielberg directing as usual (though the ending is a little cheeky and heroic for the subject matter), and relevant questions brought up in a non-polemic manner about the nature of executive power, the press, secrecy, and our activist foreign policy in a free society. I am glad he is using his talents in the late career to make thought-provoking stuff like Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and now this one. Grab it while you can -- Oscar bait stuff like that is playing to empty theaters, so I had a nice relaxing afternoon in the room by myself.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Post was excellent. Probably my #2 of the year after Get Out (or maybe Dunkirk to push it to #3). Excellent cast, masterful Spielberg directing as usual (though the ending is a little cheeky and heroic for the subject matter), and relevant questions brought up in a non-polemic manner about the nature of executive power, the press, secrecy, and our activist foreign policy in a free society. I am glad he is using his talents in the late career to make thought-provoking stuff like Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and now this one. Grab it while you can -- Oscar bait stuff like that is playing to empty theaters, so I had a nice relaxing afternoon in the room by myself.

I really enjoyed The Post overall, but there were some points (like the first time Meryl and Tom's characters are together having breakfast) when they were just letting them chew the scenery. It felt a little more like a display of, "Okay, this scene will get us each an Oscar" rather than reacting to each other. I really liked it and I loved the story/intent behind it - there was just some scenery-chewing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I really enjoyed The Post overall, but there were some points (like the first time Meryl and Tom's characters are together having breakfast) when they were just letting them chew the scenery. It felt a little more like a display of, "Okay, this scene will get us each an Oscar" rather than reacting to each other. I really liked it and I loved the story/intent behind it - there was just some scenery-chewing.

I agree there were a few moments where it could have been tighter.

Considering how good those two are, though, it is hard not to just want to let them go. Spielberg has always been great at integrating those small, personal moments and individual and familial struggles that we all have as a part of a larger historical drama.

The breezy triumph-after-triumph-after-triumph at the end felt rushed in comparison.

I mean, why not spend some time more at the Supreme Court, for instance? Hear some of the arguments back and forth in a great moment of tension?

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. While I liked it overall and had a good story arc, man was that a really really slow burn. Sure, it was similar to the first one in the more dramatic, artsy, slow-burn category, so that part wasn't surprising. However still, the first Blade Runner clocked in at 1 hour 57 minutes of that slow burn, whereas Blade Runner 2049 clocked in at a whopping 2 hours 44 minutes of it. That is a pretty stark difference, and while still worth it, I still think the director could have and should have shaved off at least a good half hour of it. I don't think it would have been that difficult either. I'm not even an editor and I think I could have cut that sucker down a ton with pretty much the same net effect. In the end, there is no doubt that long run time had some negative effect on the movie's box office too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride