Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well, so far in their careers (in conference)...

Jacobson

upload_2018-1-17_16-39-59.png

upload_2018-1-17_16-40-12.png

Young

upload_2018-1-17_16-40-32.png

upload_2018-1-17_16-40-41.png

-- Jacobson hauls in about 50% more rebounds than Solomon does
-- neither has an impressive outside shot, though that could change
-- Jacobson has slightly better defensive efficiency, though Solomon has much better offensive efficiency this past season with his 132.0 offensive rating so far
-- Solomon has a better sophomore PER at 19.2 than Jacobson at 17.5

Nothing above screams one is significantly better than the other, to me.

This should be a good competition.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't even consider Jacobsen his real threat right now. Sure, they're similar guys but I think if Prohm could look to sliding an improved Talley, THT, or Lewis into the lineup to give Babb, Wigginton, Shayok, and Lard space, that's going to be very attractive. All of those guys would benefit heavily by pulling bodies out of the lane. My entire point is that if he can shoot even close to those other guys, he offers more than those guys likely will next year, especially against bigger lineups.

I think we can all agree that there will be more flexibility with the lineup next year and that's great. Solo expanding his game to be a respectable threat from the perimeter, whatever the distance, makes us better. I have a feeling that you and I are more on the same side of this "argument" than it seems. Playing time will be dictated by match ups and skill sets more than necessity and that's all the better for us.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Maybe I will. I just don't the hate for Solomon on here. We wouldn't have even made the tourney last year without him. He's developed into a serviceable Big 12 forward.

No all of a sudden he's benched because some guy from one of the biggest scrub programs in basketball is eligible next year?

I'm not hating on Jacobson, if he turns out to be better fine, that's a win for everyone. I'm just going to take a wait and see approach before I crown him.

You really are a special kind of stupid. No one is hating on Solo. Were simply stating the things that Solo needs to work on to see his role not be reduced.

Jacobson is now a scrub? Thats rich coming from someone claiming that people are "hating on Solo" and that you're not hating on Jacobson. The staff have only been raving about the kid since he got here.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Like how Iowa State went from last to third from Fred's first to second year.

Or Oklahoma from last year to this year?

But Fred's impact transfers were just that.....huge impact guys. (Royce White, Babb, etc.) If Shayok and Jacobsen are huge impacts, then yeah, we should see a significant rise.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Well, so far in their careers (in conference)...

Jacobson

View attachment 53039

View attachment 53040

Young

View attachment 53041

View attachment 53042

-- Jacobson hauls in about 50% more rebounds than Solomon does
-- neither has an impressive outside shot, though that could change
-- Jacobson has slightly better defensive efficiency, though Solomon has much better offensive efficiency this past season with his 132.0 offensive rating so far
-- Solomon has a better sophomore PER at 19.2 than Jacobson at 17.5

Nothing above screams one is significantly better than the other, to me.

This should be a good competition.

Fair comparison, however you also have to take into account how bad the Big 10 sucks and how they have unbalanced schedules also. It's not a 1-1 comparison.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jacobson and Young remind me of like two different Pokémon right now of the same type and level where one maybe has slightly better move set and base specials while the other has more HP, attack, speed, and defense. You could make a reasonable case for both but each fulfills about the same role on the team. Neither is the "wrong" answer.

So let them compete to see where they are next November, see if one adds a wrinkle to their game the other lacks and, at the very worst, we have a spare (or even a second spare after Lard) with major conference experience, five hard fouls to give, and a hedge against a team where we need to go big or against injury or anything out there like that.

We have lacked that lineup flexibility or depth terribly the past two years. We had to be so cautious with Georges or on defense. It would be nice not to worry that way.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fair comparison, however you also have to take into account how bad the Big 10 sucks and how they have unbalanced schedules also. It's not a 1-1 comparison.

SOS for the two player's squads by year...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/

Jacobson
---
Fr. = 5.09
So. = 10.74

Young
---
Fr. = 11.94
So. = 3.14

Jacobson has not played against the grinder that is the Big 12 this year, but Solomon has not finished that round-robin, either, so his numbers might fall.

The Big Ten last year was pretty okay. Jacobson was an average forward (as a sophomore) in a major conference. Solomon Young is about the same thing.

I still think they look pretty neck-and-neck statistically. Solomon looks like he has a slightly better offensive game while Jacobson looks the better rebounder.

Reactions: NoCreativity

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
All this discussion on players taking others' minutes, or that we'll have so many good players next year that PT will be difficult to find, has me shaking my head. Only because I will simply REJOICE when we can have a basketball season again where we have several options and can use the depth to our advantage. I hope we have guys competing like heck to get on the floor. I keep thinking of Georges senior year.....what a good team, yet could have been so much better if we don't lose Naz, plus not have McKay suspensions, etc. Guys...there have been so many seasons here where we dreaded if 1 guy would get in foul trouble, then what? Or like this year with two injuries and practices where we couldn't even go 5 on 5. CAN't WAIT to have a season where there is awesome competition for players to get on the floor. Doesn't matter who it is, or whether they start, or how many minutes they get.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
All this discussion on players taking others' minutes, or that we'll have so many good players next year that PT will be difficult to find, has me shaking my head. Only because I will simply REJOICE when we can have a basketball season again where we have several options and can use the depth to our advantage. I hope we have guys competing like heck to get on the floor. I keep thinking of Georges senior year.....what a good team, yet could have been so much better if we don't lose Naz, plus not have McKay suspensions, etc. Guys...there have been so many seasons here where we dreaded if 1 guy would get in foul trouble, then what? Or like this year with two injuries and practices where we couldn't even go 5 on 5. CAN't WAIT to have a season where there is awesome competition for players to get on the floor. Doesn't matter who it is, or whether they start, or how many minutes they get.

Agreed. Competition is a good thing. And I trust Prohm to sort it out. The guys who have earned it will be on the floor.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Jacobson and Young remind me of like two different Pokémon right now of the same type and level where one maybe has slightly better move set and base specials while the other has more HP, attack, speed, and defense. You could make a reasonable case for both but each fulfills about the same role on the team. Neither is the "wrong" answer.

So let them compete to see where they are next November, see if one adds a wrinkle to their game the other lacks and, at the very worst, we have a spare (or even a second spare after Lard) with major conference experience, five hard fouls to give, and a hedge against a team where we need to go big or against injury or anything out there like that.

We have lacked that lineup flexibility or depth terribly the past two years. We had to be so cautious with Georges or on defense. It would be nice not to worry that way.
Hopefully this apt Pokemon comparison will put this 11-months-too-early argument to rest for a while.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
So you don't want the better player to get more minutes? All of this discussion is based on the fact that people within the program are really high on Jacobson, nobody is saying to start Jacobson just because he's an Iowa native.

Where's the evidence that Jacobsen is the better player?

People "within the program" were really high on Talley too. How has that played out?

I'm not trying to bash Jacobsen, but I don't expect him to be a starter. Young has more upside in my opinion. Jacobsen will get plenty of minutes, but some here need to pump the brakes on "talk within the program". What basketball coach doesn't like a 6'9" guy who plays hard? That doesn't mean we're getting Jonathan Motley.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You really are a special kind of stupid. No one is hating on Solo. Were simply stating the things that Solo needs to work on to see his role not be reduced.

Jacobson is now a scrub? Thats rich coming from someone claiming that people are "hating on Solo" and that you're not hating on Jacobson. The staff have only been raving about the kid since he got here.

I didn't say anywhere Jacobson was a scrub......but continue on.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Where's the evidence that Jacobsen is the better player?

People "within the program" were really high on Talley too. How has that played out?

I'm not trying to bash Jacobsen, but I don't expect him to be a starter. Young has more upside in my opinion. Jacobsen will get plenty of minutes, but some here need to pump the brakes on "talk within the program". What basketball coach doesn't like a 6'9" guy who plays hard? That doesn't mean we're getting Jonathan Motley.
His name is Michael Jacobson. JACOBSON! There is no 'e' in his last name. Is it so hard to learn a guy's name SolerGarlec?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron