Cryptocurrency

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Current companies that accept Bitcoin:
https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@steemi...nies-that-accept-bitcoin-and-cryptocurrencies

Here is a recent adopter - http://www.newsweek.com/dallas-mave...ptocurrency-2018-nba-season-mark-cuban-783330.

Its service is that is an un-hackable ledger that exist on a decentralized network. It's history shows slow but steady adoption, increasing value, money being spent on computing, exchanges and research. I agree it will have to stablize a lot, I think we will see an over reach of regulation, another decrease in the market when that happens then acceptance. I'm going to sit on my coins for easily 5+ while the crypto verse grows and learns.
Pretty sure both Steam and Microsoft pulled their BTC support recently. Not sure on Newegg. Past that, the only large retailer left there is Overstock... That's not market confidence by any stretch of the imagination. I can't say I'm surprised that Cuban bought into it, considering his internet background.

The ledger is never the threat of being hacked, it's people's wallets that are the threat (which, I mean this is comparable to having a credit card stolen -- it's always a present threat). Considering how poor the average person's sense of computer literacy and data security skills are, I think it's going to be a long, long while before we're replacing USD with BTC.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
the value of the USD has change 23% of the past 48 years, which includes inflation, growth, printing more money, etc. That's a change of .004% per year over 48 years.

BTC has gone down 13% since yesterday. It's not a currency. it's an investment that won't get mainstream use because until the price stabilizes no one will spend it on tangible goods. and because no one is spending it on tangible goods the price will go up from people buying it waiting for others to spend it on tangible goods. there needs to be a central authority to put a floor or ceiling on it to give stability. it's that simple.
I don't why you are still trying to **** on these coins. It's an investment for most people, and it's very profitable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
so the solution to that is have people put money into a decentralized system they don't understand that has wild price swings?
i'm being 100% serious

What bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are telling us is that the market needs another option, especially with massive monetary interventions/manipulation post-2008. I don't know that this is THE solution, but a solution is needed.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't why you are still trying to **** on these coins.
I think he's trying to dispel the idea that it's "currency", because it's simply not (in this current state, at least). This is not something the average nobody should be buying into without any knowledge or understanding of the absolutely astronomical risk involved... The same rules which apply specifically to investing. Currency cannot function with this degree of volatility.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don't why you are still trying to **** on these coins. It's an investment for most people, and it's very profitable.

Because it sounds like you're pumping (NOT promoting) the things. Someone said it earlier - these are nothing more than scratch tickets at this point in time.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I think he's trying to dispel the idea that it's "currency", because it's simply not (in this current state, at least). This is not something the average nobody should be buying into without any knowledge or understanding of the absolutely astronomical risk involved... The same rules which apply specifically to investing.
The initial idea of the coins was to be a currency

• Disagree

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
That's too damn bad, 'cuz that's not going to happen based on what they've turned into... Without some sort of massive pivot in operation (which, of course, can't happen... because there's no oversight).
It can still be used as a currency(peer to peer transaction service), but the price of the coin and network fee make it hard.

• Disagree

Kypdurron

Dec 13, 2017
West Des Moines
if you have coinS why not sell them and cash out and rebuy with the decrease?

I prefer to hold rather then sell and buy the dip. I think if I could devote more of my free time then I would sell and buy the dips or at least set up buys on exchanges for when certain coins dipped. Everybody has a different strategy though, and I certainly have had to learn an insane amount since I started getting in last March

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I guess I should reveal my bias on this, I hate coin mining as a computer hobbyist -- mining affects people like me negatively. But, that doesn't mean I'm blind to both the financial opportunity and extreme risk mining presents to its followers.

Reactions: zarnold56

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It can still be used as a currency(peer to peer transaction service), but the price of the coin and network fee make it hard.
I know, but you can't actually buy anything with it. You can just give it to people, basically no retailers can or will take it. That kinda makes it hard to use in a functional manner outside of just trading it like stock amongst other investors (and cashing it back in to USD at the end, anyway).

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
It may be an investment, but for every seller there needs to be a buyer. There's a direct 1:1 relationship. For everyone who bought at $100 and sold at $20,000 there was someone who bought at $20,000 and is sitting on incredible losses.

And it may be an investment, but what are you buying? This is a serious question. What are you investing in that give the BTC value? No product or service is created to add that value. It's more akin (right now) to trading baseball cards and beanie babies than AAPL and XON or even traditional currency trading.

People can sink as much money as they want to into it - I don't care - but to say it's a currency that is better than what we have is a lie.
Good thing this market is still growing. Sure I'm buying a coins that I can't touch, see, or smell but there is a value to it or else bitcoin wouldn't have a market cap of over $300,000,000,000 (at it's peak).

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I know, but you can't actually buy anything with it. You can just give it to people, basically no retailers can or will take it. That kinda makes it hard to use in a functional manner outside of just trading it like stock amongst other investors (and cashing it back in to USD at the end, anyway).

exactly - and companies grow by increasing profit. that growth is reflected in dividends to me as a shareholder or an increase share price. by owning the shares I get an actual usable benefit that can affect my daily living. BTC does not provide that.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Good thing this market is still growing. Sure I'm buying a coins that I can't touch, see, or smell but there is a value to it or else bitcoin wouldn't have a market cap of over $300,000,000,000 (at it's peak).

There is value to Swoop the Pterodactyl too, else he wouldn't have a market cap of over $25 (at its peak).

new.png

How about the value of Bear Sterns, one of the largest investment banks ever.

Bear-Stearns.jpg

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
There is value to Swoop the Pterodactyl too, else he wouldn't have a market cap of over $25 (at its peak).

new.png

How about the value of Bear Sterns, one of the largest investment banks ever.

Bear-Stearns.jpg
Again, hate on this all you want. Check back in a month I'll let you know how my portfolio is doing. I've already made $200 simply buying and trading coins.

• Disagree