New transfer rules

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Link? "Imminent" as in imminent decision? Or also imminent implementation?

And what happened to the removal of the "grad transfer" option? I thought that was "imminent" a while back too, but going in the other direction.

• Agree
Reactions: akellar

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Guess I'll be the trouble-maker: any other student, even those on scholarship, can transfer without restriction. Any coach can leave (or be fired) at any time. Seems only fair that the players... ahem, STUDENT-athletes... be given the same opportunity.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Link? "Imminent" as in imminent decision? Or also imminent implementation?

And what happened to the removal of the "grad transfer" option? I thought that was "imminent" a while back too, but going in the other direction.

I'm not sure how credible and informed Matt Schick is, but Messi included this tweet in the transfer thread:

Matt Schick‏Verified account @ESPN_Schick
I spoke w/ an NCAA official this week who was “95% certain” transfers will soon be allowed to play immediately in basketball & football. Could be a one-time freebie, plus grad transfer option. So in theory, a student-athlete could play for three different schools w/o sitting out.

8:54 AM - 17 Jan 2018

• Dislike
Reactions: State43

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Could blue blood institutions create relationships with lower caliber schools to be their farm clubs?

that's what i would do. pay them $X to train the players that need a bit of training. Everyone knows their roles going into it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Guess I'll be the trouble-maker: any other student, even those on scholarship, can transfer without restriction. Any coach can leave (or be fired) at any time. Seems only fair that the players... ahem, STUDENT-athletes... be given the same opportunity.
Where is it written that life shall be fair? Nobody is forced to play college sports. I think it will suck.

I'll be right here when the first THT or Zion Griffin transfers away after a couple of weeks of being in the doghouse.

• Disagree
Reactions: DurangoCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I don't like an open transfer system one bit, but do think not requiring a sit out year is good for certain situations. If your coach leaves I think you should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. Same thing if you're being pushed out by your coach because you aren't going to get playing time.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I 100 percent agree with this. At the same time it basically they are creating a minor league system in football and if it goes that way in basketball also. You have a great year at UNI the Iowa and Iowa States are looking at ya. You have a good year at Iowa or Iowa State you might just head down during the summer free agency period to Bama.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonic1

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm not sure this is accurate. There are situations where a student must pay back scholarships if they don't meet certain criteria (achieving a minimum GPA, staying on track to graduate, etc.)

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I don't like an open transfer system one bit, but do think not requiring a sit out year is good for certain situations. If your coach leaves I think you should be able to transfer without sitting out a year. Same guys if you're being pushed out by your coach because you aren't going to get playing time.

I have no problem with this. How many regular students go to college, realize its not the right place for them and transfer. I think you should allow the same thing for athletes.

I don't think it will be all bad for mid-majors either. It might be a recruiting tool. "Look, you have offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, etc. I think you're better than that. Why don't you come to UNI for a year, dominate the Mo Valley and then if you don't enjoy it, watch the Dukes, Kentuckys and North Carolinas come calling. Kind of their own version of 1 and done.

Plus, for every transfer that goes to the bigger school, that is one fewer recruit that they can bring in.