On That Note - Covers, From Obsurity to Hit

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
OTN - COVERS - From Obscurity to Hit

My last offering was themed on hit songs re-recorded (covered) in ways that were significantly different from the original hit version.

This time I've decided to twist it around. I'm featuring songs that were NOT hits when initially released but later found and covered - to become hits on the second or even third version released.

So let's kick this off with one of my favorites.

Kai Winding was a trombone player who had a major hit earlier in 1963 with More, an instrumental record covered (with words added) by every middle of the road pop singer for the rest of the Sixties. That's why it tickles me to point out that later that same year he released the original version of Time Is On My Side. Yes, the trombone player got the Drinkard Sisters (Cissy Houston, Dionne Warwick and DeeDee Warwick) to do the vocal parts on this record. I truly love the juxtaposition of the jazzy trombone, piano, etc with the soulful singing. And, sadly... not a hit.

Six months later in April 1964, New Orleans' soul great, Irma Thomas, released her version. Additional words to the Jerry Ragovoy composition - by Jimmy Norman - were added on this release. Another wonderful version of the song, no doubt! (The immensely talented Miss Irma will be visited again later in this series.) This version also went nowhere but was found and covered by the guys who had the hit - see below.

Next up we have the original Crickets version of I Fought the Law. Written by Lubbock area native and Buddy Holly pal (and fellow musician) Sonny Curtis. (For clarity sake - He played with Holly prior to the Crickets and joined the group after Holly's death in 1959). What a cool life story! He wrote the wonderful Rock Around with Ollie Vee that Holly recorded prior to being dropped by Decca and having any hits. Then he joined the Crickets and penned this Rock and Roll Classic. He also wrote the Everlys' hit Walk Right Back. And to tie it all together the guy wrote, sang, and recorded the theme song for the Mary Tyler Moore television show's run in the 1970's (Love Is All Around). I was fortunate enough to see him perform at the 50th Winter Dance Party show in Clear Lake in 2009. I gained a whole new respect and admiration for the man. What a life!

The original I Fought the Law from 1960. Note the lyric is "Zip Gun" not "Six Gun"

The first hit version by the Bobby Fuller Four, 1965.

The Clash also did a very well known cover of the song in 1979.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Something a little more current... I remember the first time I heard Smash Mouth's version of Can't Get Enough of You Baby. My first thought was, "Hey, cool, that's a cover of Question Mark and the Mysterians!"

Doing a little research I learned I was somewhat correct - yes the Mysterians did release the single. There it was in my collection on the original Cameo-Parkway label. It even charted at #56 in early 1967. It wasn't until later I learned that was actually NOT the first version released. It initially was the lead song on Side One of the Toys' 1966 LP "The Toys Sing A Lover's Concerto and Attack". Embarrassing to me for the fact I also have owned that LP since picking it up at a yard sale in the early 80's.

Remember Irma Thomas from above? Her biggest hit was I Wish Someone Would Care, peaking at #17 in early 1964. A wonderful soul number it is - so the B-side was completely overlooked. That song was a spirited mover penned by none other than Jackie DeShannon and Sharon Sheeley (Two other VERY interesting ladies of rock, by the way!). My introduction to the song was on a Liverpool 60's artist compilation album performed by Beryl Marsden (no relation to Gerry Marsden). I liked it so much I put it on many compilation mix tapes for friends over the years. Then in 1983/84 Tracy Ullman issued it as the US followup to her hit They Don't Know.

I'll present them the way I discovered them. Beryl first, then Tracy, then the original from Irma Thomas.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Okay... One more.

Gotta keep my Zombies fanboy side in check. But not today.

Chris White, one of the writers in the Zombies wrote I Love You which was released by the group in the US and UK on the B-Side of Whenever You're Ready in 1965. Very little notice was taken. The single only Bubbled Under at #110 in the US and was even less noticed in the UK. But the San Jose group "People" found it and recorded/released a psychedelic version of the tune in summer 1968 on Capitol. The record was to become a moderate hit here topping out at #14 on Billboard. It did make number one in Japan (twice), Israel, Australia, Italy, South Africa, and the Philippines.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hadn't heard the Kai Winding version of "Time is On My Side" or The Crickets "I Fought the Law" until now. .... I like the original TIOMS better than the other two, actually (and I think the Stones' take is solid).

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
The 5 Royales are not well known but count a significant number of well known recording artists who have found their output on par with most any of their contemporaries.

This is the original version of this song, written by one of their members, Lowman Pauling and recorded/released by the group in 1957 (Pauling's brother was an original member of the group. He shortened his name to Clarence Paul and went on to produce records at the Motown family of labels)

The Shirelles had the initial hit version in 1961 reaching #3 on the Billboard charts. The Mamas and Papas version also made good, peaking at #2 both in the US and the UK in 1967.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The 5 Royales are not well known but count a significant number of well known recording artists who have found their output on par with most any of their contemporaries.

This is the original version of this song, written by one of their members, Lowman Pauling and recorded/released by the group in 1957 (Pauling's brother was an original member of the group. He shortened his name to Clarence Paul and went on to produce records at the Motown family of labels)

The Shirelles had the initial hit version in 1961 reaching #3 on the Billboard charts. The Mamas and Papas version also made good, peaking at #2 both in the US and the UK in 1967.

The Shirelles is my preferred version for sure.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Ooh ooh, I got one!

This is one I didn't know about until a few years ago when I watched the show "Vinyl" on HBO.

Slade was a British rock band that a few hits over seas including this one, but they never broke through with a real hit in the US. This version was #1 in the UK but only reached #98 in the US.

Then came Quiet Riot's version. Which apparently the lead singer of Quiet Riot didn't want to cover at all. Luckily for them he relented because it was one of their biggest hits.

Apparently the guys from Slade were bitter about the success of the Quiet Riot version even though they got a decent amount of money from it.

Quiet Riot would go back to the well and cover ANOTHER Slade song with ""Mama We're all Crazee Now", with success in the US. This probably didn't help relations with Slade either.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
"Every Time You Go Away" was created originally by Hall and Oates but became a huge hit for Paul Young. It's not a particularly good song but it is my contribution to this thread.

Also, there could be a whole thread dedicated to songs by Elvis and others that were originally created and performed by blues singers.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
I notice "Royales" is misspelled on that 45 label as "Royals."

Yes, they were most often shown on record as "The 5 Royales". But there are variations that have them as "Five Royales" and "5 Royals". Seems inconceivable now days to think a record company would be so careless/inconsistent with artist labeling. I can only blame it on the perceived lack of significance to the music/genre at the time. Pop music was a get-in get-out move-on business. Nobody thought anyone would give a crap about it 50-70 years later.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Ooh ooh, I got one!

This is one I didn't know about until a few years ago when I watched the show "Vinyl" on HBO.

Slade was a British rock band that a few hits over seas including this one, but they never broke through with a real hit in the US. This version was #1 in the UK but only reached #98 in the US.

Then came Quiet Riot's version. Which apparently the lead singer of Quiet Riot didn't want to cover at all. Luckily for them he relented because it was one of their biggest hits.

Apparently the guys from Slade were bitter about the success of the Quiet Riot version even though they got a decent amount of money from it.

Quiet Riot would go back to the well and cover ANOTHER Slade song with ""Mama We're all Crazee Now", with success in the US. This probably didn't help relations with Slade either.

Slade are an interesting phenomenon. Really ahead of their time in a lot of ways with the purposeful misspelling of words in song titles and the slightly crude balls-to-the wall approach to rock and roll. Not surprising they did not do well here. The early 70's singles charts were dominated by singer songwriters and a more mellower sound in the US. Seems in a lot of ways the UK is more receptive to changes in musical styles, or accept them sooner than we do. Or they're just more easily influenced. Don't really know why, actually, but that's been my observation over time, for sure.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Also, there could be a whole thread dedicated to songs by Elvis and others that were originally created and performed by blues singers.

Here’s one example of many.

Original version by Big Mama Thornton (1952) was No. 1 on R&B chart, but that paled in comparison to the Elvis version. Too bad, because Thornton version is excellent. Plus, lyrics for Presley's were, uh, "whitened" a bit, for lack of better word — more "acceptable" for mainstream at the time, I'm guessing.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
The Top Notes - "Twist and Shout", 1961. The Producer was Phil Spector. Didn't really chart.

And then went #1 a couple years later by some obscure English group from Liverpool.

Reactions: jcyclonee