Wazzu's Tyler Hilinski commits suicide

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Tyler was a young kid, 21, presumed to be the starting QB next season for Washington State. He committed suicide today, via gunshot to the head and left behind a suicide note. This reddit thread has a lot of commentary and tweets/releases surrounding the event. In reading through these things, I cannot find a concise reason for the suicide other than what people are suspecting to be mental illness (such as severe depression), but that's not proven beyond speculation.

Rest in Peace Tyler, many thoughts and prayers for you and your family. You will be missed.

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It'll never happen to me.

Yeah, that could be his mindset. I don't know. But the kid is old enough to understand the risks associated with playing football now. If he accepts those risks, then so be it. I can understand wanting to do something that you love and also the financial benefits of playing beyond high school - athletic scholarships, pro potential, etc.

It's scary stuff and hard to get a handle on. I don't necessarily believe that playing football is a death sentence or guarantee of brain trauma related issues later in life. But I wouldn't want my kids picking the game up either. Tough to reconcile the two.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Some people just want to live their life and do what they enjoy and that's their choice. Despite all the concussions I've had I go back and play football again without hesitation. Heck I know I could die racing my racecar, that's a risk and I accept it because I enjoy it.

You can't take the risk out of life and if you DID, what's the point of living.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I don't ride in cars because I could get in a car accident.

I don't cross the street because I could get hit by a car.

I don't eat hard candy because I could choke.

I don't play football because I could get CTE.

Everything you do is a risk. If you want to sit in your house because you're scared of everything then do it.

Reactions: crawfy54