INSIDER: Some thoughts on Iowa State's QB recruiting/situation

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It was definitely a ballsy decision by Campbell and staff. If it backfired, they would have been roasted. Luckily for us fans, Campbell and staff know a LOT more about football than we do. Kyle's strengths were just what ISU needed to win big games this year. Zeb may have that kind of poise in the future, but it's hard to bench a steady hand for potential.

They wouldn't have been roasted. You don't throw a freshman quarterback to the wolves against Oklahoma.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Some people are just seduced by physical tools. Always have been. Look at the NFL draft every year -- great athletes that were not very productive college players, QBs included, go high every year, and every year those guys bust and turn into fired GMs and coaches.

KK is not an elite athlete by any stretch of the imagination, even though he is probably in the top 1% of the population physically, just not as college athletes go. You cannot argue with the production and efficiency, however. I hope he is back, even as only QB2.

If we could get Zeb Noland, with the decision making and poise of Kempt, we would have a really successful QB. Zeb might have that in the future, but we know Kempt has those mental skills right now.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
They wouldn't have been roasted. You don't throw a freshman quarterback to the wolves against Oklahoma.

You usually don't throw a walk on journeyman to the wolves against OU either. I think the staff went with the guy who's been around a while and always had that steady hand.

Thank god it worked!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Not to mention we are drawing interest from Alex Thompson. A grad transfer with proclaimed NFL talent. QB situation is going to be incredible this next year if all these pieces fall into place. QB depth is a great problem to have.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You usually don't throw a walk on journeyman to the wolves against OU either. I think the staff went with the guy who's been around a while and always had that steady hand.

Thank god it worked!

So why would they have been roasted if we got beat with Kempt?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Particularly in the Liberty Bowl, it was a matter of Kempt's throws dying in the wind. The wind didn't seem as bad for the Memphis QB when he was throwing into it!

Seriously, 5 of you disagree with my claim that lots of Kempt's throws died in the wind (and made receivers have to come back for them)? Do you think those floaters were thrown purposefully to fade so that receivers could get open?

Or are you disagreeing with my claim that the Memphis QB wasn't have as much of a problem?

I thought Kempt not throwing as hard as our other QBs was a fairly well-known fact. Maybe not. And maybe it isn't even true.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So why would they have been roasted if we got beat with Kempt?

Because he was a walk on. A lot of fans follow recruiting enough to know that Zeb is a good young QB. Not a lot followed close enough to know that Kempt was our walk on third stringer. I was surprised when he started over Zeb, and I don't think I was the only one.

If Kempt had played poorly against OU and lost, I guarantee there would have been a large contingent of fans saying it was a horrible decision to play a walk on instead of Zeb.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Seriously, 5 of you disagree with my claim that lots of Kempt's throws died in the wind (and made receivers have to come back for them)? Do you think those floaters were thrown purposefully to fade so that receivers could get open?

Or are you disagreeing with my claim that the Memphis QB wasn't have as much of a problem?

I thought Kempt not throwing as hard as our other QBs was a fairly well-known fact. Maybe not. And maybe it isn't even true.

I think most are disagreeing because neither offense did as well going into the wind. The Memphis QB had a stronger arm, so it wasn't as pronounced as Kempt, but KK still did a good job of running the offense in spite of the wind being a problem.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Because he was a walk on. A lot of fans follow recruiting enough to know that Zeb is a good young QB. Not a lot followed close enough to know that Kempt was our walk on third stringer. I was surprised when he started over Zeb, and I don't think I was the only one.

If Kempt had played poorly against OU and lost, I guarantee there would have been a large contingent of fans saying it was a horrible decision to play a walk on instead of Zeb.

If Kempt had played poorly against OU and lost, I don't think anyone would have thought anything of it. Maybe they would have wanted Zeb to start the next game. But after the Texas game and losing our starting QB, I really doubt anyone would have been surprised about anything.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

If the staff really felt Zeb was the future you don't let him get his brains beat out on the road against a top 5 team. Let the third string senior take a beating instead. Most people understood this when it was announced and there wouldn't have been a large contingent in an uproar afterwards. If Kempt is awful then you get to let the quarterback of the future start against a patsy like Kansas the next week.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If the staff really felt Zeb was the future you don't let him get his brains beat out on the road against a top 5 team. Let the third string senior take a beating instead. Most people understood this when it was announced and there wouldn't have been a large contingent in an uproar afterwards. If Kempt is awful then you get to let the quarterback of the future start against a patsy like Kansas the next week.
I don't think Campbell cares much about this, I think he went with the guy he thought gave us the best chance to win. Last year it was Kyle, could be the same next year, but I think Noland will make great strides this offseason. He's had a taste, and that is a hard thing to forget.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
If I'm Zeb, I'm wondering what my future is at Iowa State with the possibility of Kempt coming back and all of the comments about Re-al.

Zeb should realize he got a lot more playing time as a Redshirt Freshman last year than probably 90% or more of all other Redshirt Freshmen. ISU is the best place for him unless he wants to go FCS and then maybe have a more certain chance to start. From what we have heard about Zeb, however, I would not expect him to back down.

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
It was definitely a ballsy decision by Campbell and staff. If it backfired, they would have been roasted. Luckily for us fans, Campbell and staff know a LOT more about football than we do. Kyle's strengths were just what ISU needed to win big games this year. Zeb may have that kind of poise in the future, but it's hard to bench a steady hand for potential.

Interesting idea............I am sure some on here will disagree with you.:cool:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So Re-al can't play LB? Do not want...:)

In all honesty KK coming back tells Zeb one thing....time to bust ass if I want to play because if I'm better I trust this staff to see it. KK around makes everyone work that much harder.

Does everyone remember how much better Sam Richarson got after being labeled the man?

Can't compare anything in QB development now to what happened when Rhoads got his hands on a new starter. Everyone was better before he worked his magic on them as a new starter.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Can't compare anything in QB development now to what happened when Rhoads got his hands on a new starter. Everyone was better before he worked his magic on them as a new starter.
Bingo. Regardless of how many recruits we take in at QB, I'm just happy we have a staff that can actually coach them. Kempt is pretty obvious proof of that ability.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You gotta love Kyle. His whole career he has been the underdog, but just kempt going. I will be Re-al disappointed if he doesn't get his 6th year. Would hate to see him leave Ames, which nobody has ever accused of being Noland for old 6th year senior men. Moore or less, we have a ways to go Tiller we find out the verdict.