PODCAST: An in-depth review of the 2017 season w/ Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Wanted to let you guys know that I had planned on doing more fan questions at the end but Coach and I shot the breeze for WAY too long before we started recorded and simply ran out of time. He had juniors coming in for recruiting visits. I'll do another one with him in the offseason looking more into next year's team, young guys, etc. I wanted to spend this time appreciating what the program has accomplished and how those experiences will help going forward.
Well at least he should have a better opinion on the early enrollment players then

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Perhaps your gang could wear Toledo gear so you're easier to identify?

I will wear some type of Toledo gear for sure. My gear and the 6'5' 235 lb and 6'2" 280 dudes with me would also help identify us. Anyway, Both my sons say it is a go. We would hopefully be arriving between 7 and 9 pm on Friday. Up early, to either find a free tailgate....hint,hint,hint
or visit complex with one of the staff. No real plans made yet until call made to staff.

I will start a new thread when we know the details and finalize for sure we will be there.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Maybe throwbacks? I hear the 1891 squad was ferocious!

Nobody cares about what the colors were unofficially for a few years in the 1890s before our cardinal and gold was codified and recognized forever. This is before Jack Trice even. This is just an attempt to retroactively justify a stupid marketing gimmick.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Based on that historic nugget, limitations on dye colors and ribbons led to a decision to choose "distinctive and striking set of colors." So it was meant to be, I guess.

I would have to agree. While I love our colors, I think it might be cool to do a blackout game or something with completely alternate uniforms, if just for one game. Black uni's with silver lettering would be neat as a one-off. Though, I wouldn't go for that against our friends to the east. At the end of the day, I don't really care what the team wears because I just want to win, but I recognize the importance of alternates to recruiting/marketing.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I thought this was a fantastic interview. I'm going to add Matt Campbell to my list of "10 People to Have a Beer With" list.

Thanks for doing this!

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Glad that CMC was upset about the KSU game. Just wish there was something that could be done about the horrible officials that seem to always get assigned to ISU games. There is never an excuse for one official being able to take over a game like that. Ask other officials to pick up flags? IF that happened to any 'Elite' team it would have been on the national news for a week.

Interesting that he sorta talked about Park, but didn't go into any details other than it was clear that was an issue with him that hurt the team.
I would settle for not having Tuberville call our games anymore.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
At the 10-13 minute mark and discussing about Park...is the 'issue' Park's behavior or just making the change?

'To be honest with ya...' I don't think anyone's going to question if CMC's being honest at this point. :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to add that I believe people were looking at names like Lane Kiffin, Bret Bielema, etc. were mentioned in the coaching search after CPR was let go.

In maturity alone CMC is the best choice--he runs circles around the others.

Fantastic interview and dialogue. Assuming even remote success is sustained, ISU needs to keep paying this man.