Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Even though I think I maybe finally over the flu, and most of its after effects, I am thinking that so far 2018 is a FML kinda year.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I was in Dallas the weekend when the Saints beat the Colts. It was supposed to snow and they were warning people that accumulations could reach 1 tenth of an inch of snow. I was wearing a jacket and some girls at a bar asked me if I was freezing. I told them it was practically skinny dipping weather. They giggled.

So @GTO @cyrocksmypants is Cube 0 worth watching? I rewatched Cube the other day for the first time in forever and then watched Hypercube. Need to know if Cube 0 added anything to the story.
Is that the third one? I thought it was alright -- interesting ending. After looking at the trailer, I didn't see that one.

Last edited:

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I was in Dallas the weekend when the Saints beat the Colts. It was supposed to snow and they were warning people that accumulations could reach 1 tenth of an inch of snow. I was wearing a jacket and some girls at a bar asked me if I was freezing. I told them it was practically skinny dipping weather. They giggled.

So @GTO @cyrocksmypants is Cube 0 worth watching? I rewatched Cube the other day for the first time in forever and then watched Hypercube. Need to know if Cube 0 added anything to the story.

A tenth of an inch? Lol.

I thought Cube Cubed was the third one.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My filter is 16"x25"x4" thick! Pricey!
OK. What is up with all of these 4" furnace filters? Do you all live in clean rooms? Do you you decontamination showers in your mud rooms?

You can run a furnace without a filter If you have to. One problem that many don't think about is the intake pipe outside the house getting covered by a snow drift or something. Can choke it off. I one night just pulled a cover off and rigged the furnace to pull air from the basement. And the cool air returns. Found the issue in the morning. Many houses can have outside intakes also if they have larger homes and need to have a large furnace.
This sounds like a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning. Are you sure you're not a zombie?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
OK. What is up with all of these 4" furnace filters? Do you all live in clean rooms? Do you you decontamination showers in your mud rooms?

This sounds like a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning. Are you sure you're not a zombie?

Ours went to a 4" or 5" one when we got the high efficiency furnace last fall. Due to lack of space and not wanting to take it through the unheated and somewhat lacking insulation garage they took the exhaust out the side of the house and the intake is right at the furnace inside.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I was nervous about that, I took the CO detector down there and would cycle the furnace lightly. We have infloor water heat for 2/3 of our basement so that was keeping a general base.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Also MrsWx mentioned this morning how she wishes we would have gotten a whole home humidifier at that time and that it was apparently and option but I ignored it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Saw a job at a start-up university in Malta that a former colleague works at. Well, worked at.
Before I could ask her about this thing, she posted on Facebook that the school fired all of the faculty right before the semester and is replacing them immediately with adjuncts.

Moving to Malta for a 1 semester job seemed like a bad idea.
I had a friend that lived on Malta (or Cyprus, I can't keep the two of those places straight) for a while and he really liked it there. So based upon his recommendation, I'd suggest that Malta is a nice place to live. Or maybe it's Cyprus that's a nice place to live.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Hmmmm, CF seems to stay fairly sane when the men win.

Not a really bad day at work ,just cold. hotel didn't have my reservation and tried to room rate gouge me. I left instead. Did get to have steak fry @ the American Legion, it was good went to fall back hotel, fell asleep when I warmed up. Only thing I didn't get done was going to Somerset for my friends grand kids little kids hockey. I was to tired for that hopefully another time.

The room rate thing was sorta my fault, just made a reservation with them verbally last time I stayed and never followed up, oh well mistakes happen.
Just a little note about American Legion steak fries. In two weeks, the tennis team is holding a steak fry fundraiser at an American Legion. For steak fries, the legions ask for volunteers from the organization to help cook. I am one of the volunteers that will be cooking. The other dad that volunteered I may trust even less than me.

That being said, I really enjoy American Legion steak fries. You get a decent product at a really good price.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ha, not a real date, just a dinner party invite. Probably got invited because I always bring some good wine.
A6NADWR.jpg

Reactions: SCyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just a little note about American Legion steak fries. In two weeks, the tennis team is holding a steak fry fundraiser at an American Legion. For steak fries, the legions ask for volunteers from the organization to help cook. I am one of the volunteers that will be cooking. The other dad that volunteered I may trust even less than me.

That being said, I really enjoy American Legion steak fries. You get a decent product at a really good price.

Can't really screw up tenderized round steaks, unless you pull them off raw.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Also MrsWx mentioned this morning how she wishes we would have gotten a whole home humidifier at that time and that it was apparently and option but I ignored it.
Our builder required that we get one when we built our house to help maintain the woodwork. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. It's also one more thing to remember in the spring and fall to turn it off and on. A friend sold a house with a humidifier. A few months later, the buyers come back to him about a bunch of mold that started to form near their vents. He had walked them through the use of the humidifier but they had forgotten to turn it off in the Spring.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.