Ranking Ski Resorts

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Do yourself a favor and get out to Mammoth some time. I loved it there. Of course, had great luck with snow, but I loved it. Great Mountain, great facilities.

I've heard great things about Mammoth. However, after my experience of going a few years back to Tahoe with no snow on the 8th and final year of an 8-year drought, I've turned a bit sour to planning another Eastern California trip. Again, sounds like awesome skiing, but I'm not sure I'm willing to roll that dice again anytime super soon. Maybe though.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I've heard great things about Mammoth. However, after my experience of going a few years back to Tahoe with no snow on the 8th and final year of an 8-year drought, I've turned a bit sour to planning another Eastern California trip. Again, sounds like awesome skiing, but I'm not sure I'm willing to roll that dice again anytime super soon. Maybe though.

Check the snow records, but the snow was great, and tons of it. I feel the same way about Tahoe. Great resorts/town, terrible snow.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Poster is right. Colorado stinks for skiing. Please everyone stop coming here. We are full.

BTW, you are totally wrong about lift lines at Beaver Creek (you are correct on it being expensive). I'll take lift lines at BC over any other resort in Summit or Eagle Counties. This is based on 24 years of personal experience.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Check the snow records, but the snow was great, and tons of it. I feel the same way about Tahoe. Great resorts/town, terrible snow.
Have you ever been to Mt. Rose? We hit good snow one late season and had a blast on the "chutes". Long steep double blacks and no lines.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Thinking about taking a trip to Whistler next winter. Anybody been there before and have any tips for a first timer to BC? I noticed the prices weren’t terrible either, as far as lift tix and flights go.

Whistler is fantastic, The flight into Vancouver and the drive up are amazing. Tons of people but they get so spread out on the gigantic mountain that the lift lines are not bad at all.

All BC resorts are worth exploring. The only busy one I have been to is Whistler. Way cheaper, no lift lines, and more consistent snow pack. Also as I start to age, I really appreciate the lower elevations that BC offers. Flights are cheap to Vancouver, Calgary, or Spokane depending on what areas of BC your going to. Bring a camera, because all the drives are insanely beautiful.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
for those griping about the snow in CO, vail said today that its the least amount of snow in 30 years, and thus far its 50% less than the least snow 30 yrs ago.

just one of those years....

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Whistler is fantastic, The flight into Vancouver and the drive up are amazing. Tons of people but they get so spread out on the gigantic mountain that the lift lines are not bad at all.

All BC resorts are worth exploring. The only busy one I have been to is Whistler. Way cheaper, no lift lines, and more consistent snow pack. Also as I start to age, I really appreciate the lower elevations that BC offers. Flights are cheap to Vancouver, Calgary, or Spokane depending on what areas of BC your going to. Bring a camera, because all the drives are insanely beautiful.
Would you recommend renting a car in Vancouver and making the drive to Whistler or taking the shuttle?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sure, I'd like to try anywhere. Wolf Creek mostly isn't high on my list due to the difficulty in getting there and it pretty much being standalone. Not that I won't go to stand-alone mountains, but others like Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, and Big Sky will always be higher on my list and likely be ones I go check out prior to Wolf Creek. However, again, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love Wolf Creek sometime.

You could do a triangle of Taos, Wolf Creek, and Purgatory in the same trip. You would probably want to change base a couple times but it wouldn’t be that bad.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
for those griping about the snow in CO, vail said today that its the least amount of snow in 30 years, and thus far its 50% less than the least snow 30 yrs ago.

Tough anywhere in the lower Rockies right now. Luckily we aren't leaving for Utah for another 7 weeks.

I've done Vail 7 out of the last 8 years and I'd say 6 of the years has been good to great snow. Guess I'm lucking out this year doing Utah instead.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I'm hoping it all comes to Denver at once. Give me one good twenty-incher rather than four inches five times. That's what I always say.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Tough anywhere in the lower Rockies right now. Luckily we aren't leaving for Utah for another 7 weeks.

I've done Vail 7 out of the last 8 years and I'd say 6 of the years has been good to great snow. Guess I'm lucking out this year doing Utah instead.

I commend you on the smooth humble brag, even in the ski thread. For reals though congrats on some great ski trips. Have fun in Utah.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Would you recommend renting a car in Vancouver and making the drive to Whistler or taking the shuttle?

Both are really simple. With big groups we typically use a shuttle. It is typically a little cheaper. You won't need a vehicle once there, the transportation system is amazing like most big resorts. But we have also rented suburbans or tahoes and that has worked well also. I really enjoyed the shuttle so I could just soak in the views and not have to worry about driving.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Above, I gave my review of my recent Colorado trip with my wife, but it is worth noting that I've still got a buddies trip to Whistler lined up in February. Can't wait!!!! They are loaded with snow up there.

Whistler has been pounded with snow this year. In my opinion (from obsessively reviewing snow reports) Whistler, Jackson Hole & Big Sky have by far the best snow so far this year in North America. You will enjoy it this year! One thing though, try to ski higher up on the mountain. The lower third of the mountain (both Whistler & Blackcomb) is at such low elevation compared to most other mountains that it has a tendency to get real icy or slushy depending on the day. In fact it rains frequently at the bottom while white out snow simultaneously occurs up top.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc and Triggermv

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

I would rent the car. The drive up from Vancouver is breathtaking. If you take the shuttle you can’t really take the time to randomly stop and take advantage of the views. You won’t be sorry. One thing though, if you have a tight budget you may rethink renting the car, because once you are in Whistler you won’t need the car, plus you will have to pay nightly valet charges that add up in a hurry.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonedave25

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
You could do a triangle of Taos, Wolf Creek, and Purgatory in the same trip. You would probably want to change base a couple times but it wouldn’t be that bad.

I agree. Doing all three resorts you mentioned is the way to go on a mini ski road trip. Unfortunately, don’t do that trip this year. Taos is virtually closed and Purgatory only has 20% of the mountain open. Wolf Creek has most of its terrain open, but even their snow this year is WAY below average.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
FYI.... for those who haven't checked out this site yet, I'd encourage you to check it out:

https://www.zrankings.com/

By far, it does the best job of describing, comparing, and ranking out all the North American ski resorts by some pretty good metrics, particularly how they rank out their snow. I use this site a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I commend you on the smooth humble brag, even in the ski thread. For reals though congrats on some great ski trips. Have fun in Utah.

Haha it's not so much bragging when its the one time of year I get out. Having kids makes it hard to do anything. For the first 3 years we drove, pinched pennies, and the lift tickets were much cheaper. Then when we all started progressing in our careers, it got easier to fly/relax ect.

Reactions: NWICY and Triggermv

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We're staying just south of Kimball Junction near Park City. Going to do Park City/Canyons for 2 days and then the third day is up in the air. Suggestions? We thought about Deer Valley, but I guess there is one guy that boards in our group...

Can you buy a 2 day Park City pass and use them over a 3 day stay?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I haven't been to more than a handful of resorts outside of the midwest, but as for Rocky Mountain trails, The run from the top of Mary Jane all the way down to the bottom lodge at Winter Park was as enjoyable of a ride I've ever been on.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

We were outside in shorts and a T-shirt yesterday on the front range. It’s like 55-60 out last day or two.