Voices from Memphis: 2017 Bowl Edition

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
They probably needed it. It was one of those things where one of the guys in our group saw someone at another table order them, and was like "We're getting those." I'm not going to argue with a guy if he's going to buy an appetizer for the table. And, by that point, it was like 3:30 and we were still waiting to have lunch, so I wasn't in a position to be making responsible food choices.

This sounds like the most responsible food choice there ever was, if you ask me.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
With direct flights from multiple airports in Iowa, I think ISU fans would swarm Orlando.
yeah, but Orlando is different. There's no real place for fans to congregate, like Beale in Memphis or riverwalk in San Antonio.

Also, Orlando is a destination for more than just bowl game attendees at that time of year. Part of the reason the Liberty Bowl was so fun was that there was literally no other reason to be in town. Not to mention that Orlando is damned near double the size of Memphis. ISU just couldn't take over a city like Orlando the same way.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Explain this???
Just some not nice people in a few of the bars and restaurants we were at. No stories worth recounting individually, just a couple rude people, that's all.

But, for the record, if my friends' two chairs at our table are temporarily unoccupied while they're in line for the restroom or are outside trying to get cell service, I'm sorry but no, you can't have them. ;)

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just some not nice people in a few of the bars and restaurants we were at. No stories worth recounting individually, just a couple rude people, that's all.

But, for the record, if my friends' two chairs at our table are temporarily unoccupied while they're in line for the restroom or are outside trying to get cell service, I'm sorry but no, you can't have them. ;)
is it rude because they ask, or rude because they just took without asking???

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I do not regret it, even if my arteries do.
tenor.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
we didn't try the gumbo fries, because two of the people in our group didn't like seafood. We just got their BBQ cheese fries instead, which while terrible for you, were absolutely amazing. I got my seafood fix with their cajun shrimp and catfish, though. The guy running the place was awesome. He would go into detail on all of their dishes if you asked, and describe how they cooked them. he was really pushing the family style ribeyes, which admittedly were pretty tempting, if only to see seven pounds of steak slammed down in the middle of the table.

Do they have a pickup window streetside? We either ordered from them or next door last time. They had southern style potato salad, my whole family hated it. It came with the po' boys we ordered. I only wanted the sandwich but with the parade starting I just bent over and paid the extra.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I always wonder what image people have of Iowa when I read and hear comments.

Do they think we ride horses into town and Little House on the Prairie-ing all of the time?

Memphis ain't that big

I guess it's hard for me, because I grew up in Des Moines, but I've always been defensive about the "All Iowans are Farmers" shtick.

I've been to the fair, and visited farms, but I've never lived or worked on a farm.

Now, no one is immune to making assumptions. I assume when I go to Florida that I'm going to see some guys that look like they wrestle gators, or see some hillbilly folk in Arkansas. But for some reason I never assume that EVERYONE from that state is the same.

I know they are trying to talk smack, but it does seem like some of them are shocked that we aren't really all farmers. I remember a few east coast friends from ISU who were shocked that Des Moines was actually a city and not just another small town in Iowa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess it's hard for me, because I grew up in Des Moines, but I've always been defensive about the "All Iowans are Farmers" shtick.

I've been to the fair, and visited farms, but I've never lived or worked on a farm.

Now, no one is immune to making assumptions. I assume when I go to Florida that I'm going to see some guys that look like they wrestle gators, or see some hillbilly folk in Arkansas. But for some reason I never assume that EVERYONE from that state is the same.

I know they are trying to talk smack, but it does seem like some of them are shocked that we aren't really all farmers. I remember a few east coast friends from ISU who were shocked that Des Moines was actually a city and not just another small town in Iowa.

Unfortunately DM is a small town to easterners.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We were parked in lot 14 about 30 feet from 3 port-a-pots. Across the Street about 50 feet away were 5 port-a-pots. Longs lines by the 3 (six or seven deep), but two deep on the one with 5. It's the little things in life. We had no problems with it. Stadium johns were fine never had to wait at all. Spent more time getting back and forth to our seats than anything.

Overall Memphis fans were great. No issues. They all thanked us for making the trip and said it was overall a great game. My son got his picture taken with Lanning going into the stadium, my wife with Lanning at the Peabody and my son with Lazard after the pep rally so they were pretty pumped up.

I asked Lazard about what what happened to the Kyrie Irving Celtics jersey he had on over his hoodie he had on going into the pep rally. In a bummed out voice he goes "yeah, coach made me take if off."

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do they have a pickup window streetside? We either ordered from them or next door last time. They had southern style potato salad, my whole family hated it. It came with the po' boys we ordered. I only wanted the sandwich but with the parade starting I just bent over and paid the extra.
Not sure that's the same place. This place did not have Po'boys on the menu that we were given. Did not see a streetside pickup window. It was all the way down at the West end of Beale St.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure that's the same place. This place did not have Po'boys on the menu that we were given. Did not see a streetside pickup window. It was all the way down at the West end of Beale St.

Wouldn't have been it then. We were about 2/3rds of a block in on the north side.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
Not much to add...

The whole town of Memphis could use a good power washing.

We went to Memphis Made Brewing Thurs night (so/so to average beer). There 2 locals told us to go to The BBQ Shop for dinner. Their recommendation was spot on as the ribs we up there with some of the best I have ever had.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Funny story about some Iowa State fans. Thursday night at BB King's, we're sitting at the long table between the main bar and the stage. Several older (I would say mid 60's) Iowa State fans were standing by the bar having a great time. They were obviously trashed, started doing shots, being loud--all good though. The gal singing was doing a Whitney Houston song (killing it by the way) and 2 from this group decided it should be a karaoke song.

They start rocking back and forth and proceed to fall over into our group. The lady who fell got up in a few minutes. The guy just could not get up. I was somewhat trapped in my bar stool as he was up against it a bit. Nobody in his group was in any position to help. He seriously laid there right in the middle of the walkway for at least 5 minutes. I kept telling him to hang in there, somebody would help get him up. I finally managed to get out of my chair and myself and another guy or two managed to get him to his feet. "Security" had already been over, left for a bit, and then right after we got the guy to his feet, paramedics with a stretcher show up!!

They all left a short time later (not on a stretcher) but on their way out, the lady fell over backwards again and hit her head pretty hard.

So who are some of the first people we see at the pep rally the next day? You got it!! She was not getting around very well but I admire her "hair of the dog" attitude :)

sleepy

Dec 8, 2017
Actually ended up sitting right next to Riley Ferguson's dad. Super nice guy, drove in from Charlotte, NC with their family. Told me all about Riley's experience playing at Tennessee then JUCO how he likes it at Memphis, what he's expecting from the draft, etc. Also asked all about Iowa State's season, the football team, how we liked Campbell. Awesome conversation throughout the game- couldn't have been nicer.

Overheard one Memphis fan saying after the game, "****, there's not gonna be any beer in this town left for us after these people go back to Iowa" Got a good chuckle out of that one

Interesting fact about Riley Ferguson.

He graduated in December Summa Cum Laude--no. 1 in the entire school.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
yeah, but Orlando is different. There's no real place for fans to congregate, like Beale in Memphis or riverwalk in San Antonio.

Also, Orlando is a destination for more than just bowl game attendees at that time of year. Part of the reason the Liberty Bowl was so fun was that there was literally no other reason to be in town. Not to mention that Orlando is damned near double the size of Memphis. ISU just couldn't take over a city like Orlando the same way.

Not with that attitude.