Very good day for RPI and tourney chances. RPI = 21

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Sure is incredibly exciting given where we were 30 days ago! They are exceeding expectations right now and it's nice when your dreams aren't too far from reality.

Big XII winning some close ones has helped a lot. Those games the Big XII has snuck out which could have gone either way (like OSU's 1 pt. win over Florida State, KU's 1 pt. win over Nebby, and TCU sneaking out 2 pt wins over New Mexico and 4 pts over Nevada) are huge for keeping the RPI strong. If the Big XII can dominate the SEC - Big XII challenge, then we're in for another year where 18 win Big XII teams (heck, maybe even a 17 win Big XII team) can make the Tourney with the right wins.

17 wins is a real possibility this year to get in if the Big XII can make it TCU or OU. Those two could be 8-10 and make it in easily and TCU given history could hit 7-11 in the big XII, that might still get them in as as the #8 team. Not THAT far fetched.

• Optimistic
Reactions: casey1973

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Micro-RPI nugget: Loyola-Chicago, which had a big road win at Florida, has lost road games to 2 ISU opponents, Boise State and Milwaukee.

Edit for additional note: That Florida upset doesn't look as huge at this point.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Big 12 / 16 losses non-conference.
ACC / 27 losses non-conference.
SEC / 34 losses non-conference.
PAC 12 / 38 losses non-conference.
B1G / 39 losses non-conference.

On Twitter, Fran Fraschilla says we might get 8 in. The strength of the Big 12 is incredibly head and shoulders above all others. Conference games are going to be incomparably competitive, high-caliber shootouts!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Still way too early for me to get too excited about this team. I love the improvements they have made since the 0-2 start but the Big 12 schedule is a gauntlet and even the worst team in the league is probably better then just about any team we have faced so far other than Mizzou. Just surviving this season with a shot at postseason play is still where I am at with them. The 3 freshmen are exceeding my expectations so far and next season with the freshman class we have coming in and transfers is where I think we'll really appreciate what this coaching staff is doing. Prohm has done a heck of a job turning things around after that brutal 0-2 start that had us all worried about this being an awful season but I'm keeping my optimism guarded till we see what this team can do against Big 12 talent.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ever since Steve went all Jeff on us things have been off the charts. Babb is a Pro Guard once he's done here. Wigginton is lightning in a bottle. As good as Lindell is, I feel like Lard is actually our best player, he's just not there yet. Prohm deserves some serious props for this turn around. The three headed monster at guard is going to drive coaches crazy at night.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

On Twitter, Fran Fraschilla says we might get 8 in. The strength of the Big 12 is incredibly head and shoulders above all others. Conference games are going to be incomparably competitive, high-caliber shootouts!

For perspective, I'll chart out average losses per team. I don't know if Notre Dame was included in ACC. i'll do both
Big 12 1.6
ACC 1.8 (15 teams) 1.9 (14 teams)
SEC 2.4
Pac 12 3.1
B1G 2.8

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I hope when its selection time, the committee acknowledges that ISU was down a few guys in the 0-2 start.

I think the conference schedule lines up nicely for ISU. Games at home early against teams that on paper look good(TCU/Tech). I question how will those teams respond in Hilton? These are teams that weren't very good last year. How will the play now with a bit of a target on their back?

If ISU was playing @Tech @TCU early I would feel differently about the schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hope when its selection time, the committee acknowledges that ISU was down a few guys in the 0-2 start.

I think the conference schedule lines up nicely for ISU. Games at home early against teams that on paper look good(TCU/Tech). I question how will those teams respond in Hilton? These are teams that weren't very good last year. How will the play now with a bit of a target on their back?

If ISU was playing @Tech @TCU early I would feel differently about the schedule.

FWIW if the defense 'found it' yesterday in the 2nd half and continues to build on that, I feel better about their chances away from Hilton than I even did last week.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

I'd like to see a SOS(or avg RPI) type comparison for all the conferences here, but still that's eye popping.
The most losses any B12 team has is 3(Texas). The Big 10 already has 5 teams with 5 or more losses.

Keep in mind we have far fewer teams than other conferences. The ACC has 8 teams with 2 or fewer losses, and only 3 teams with 4 or 5 losses at most. The ACC could certainly be the strongest conf based on having 15 teams, but the B12 is playing very well

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think there's going be a whole lot of crazily competitive games in the B12 this yr. Looking forward to watching lots of exciting hoops this yr. Hopefully ISU defends Hilton and sneaks out a couple of road wins. That and winning at least one in KC should get us in the tourney. If this team keeps improving as much the next 2 months as they did the 1st it's going to be a whole lot of fun watching them (heck it already is).

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Having KSU and Texas at home while the students are away is a big disadvantage. Going 1-1 in those 2 games might be hard to do

I know it sounds like feeling sorry for oneself, but that's crap that we end up playing two consecutive home games during the student break and bowl game time. By the way, are the games during break 'not' a part of the student season ticket? Meaning, JP could put a big discount promotion on to get butts in the seats.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Remarkable job by Coach Prohm with this group. Nothing short of remarkable given the roster's limitations.

Absolutely. I feel like the growth he is able to get from Lard and Lewis will determine how well we survive a tough Big XII schedule. To be where we are from where we were after the Milwaukee game is truly remarkable...so we just did!​

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Imagine just for a minute that Babb is at the point and Lard and Brase are active for those games. Do you like our chances a little bit better?

The first 2 games has tainted our outlook, but this is not THAT team.

Only if you tell me Jackson shoots well too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron