We won’t get Wigginton for four years

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Two years. Teams like to stockpile young talent so they don't need to wait. Give that, if you are a player, why would you wait to make your deserved $$?

Exactly. You take the money and don't risk getting injured and losing your market value. He has enough natural ability that teams may draft him on potential and teach him the PG position. His shot is already pretty good and he has good form/mechanics.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Count me as also sick of Hines. His pretentious, self-absorbed ways will work well for him when his obvious pandering to larger markets comes through for him. I can hardly handle he and Birch's glib responses to fans on Twitter. Why take joy in antagonizing the fan base of the team you cover?

This Wigginton "quote" is a perfect example. What he did is the epitome of taking something out of context. Removing language before and after a clip of text to create an effect is what he did. He needs to own it.

I know sports writers have a very high opinion of their craft. If you ask them, they are out there cracking the Watergate scandal one "tell me about..." at a time. But it is not a difficult profession. Ask questions, record answers, print what you've recorded. Editorialize when the situation dictates. Not difficult stuff.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
He can get just a tad sloppy with the ball when spinning/doing a fancy drive.
But, and this is a big but, the kid can elevate like I’ve never seen for someone his size. For a freshman he’s got a nicely developed body with some impressive looking arms. If he can clean up a little bit of that ball control, oh boy watch out.
You said big but.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Count me as also sick of Hines. His pretentious, self-absorbed ways will work well for him when his obvious pandering to larger markets comes through for him. I can hardly handle he and Birch's glib responses to fans on Twitter. Why take joy in antagonizing the fan base of the team you cover?

This Wigginton "quote" is a perfect example. What he did is the epitome of taking something out of context. Removing language before and after a clip of text to create an effect is what he did. He needs to own it.

I know sports writers have a very high opinion of their craft. If you ask them, they are out there cracking the Watergate scandal one "tell me about..." at a time. But it is not a difficult profession. Ask questions, record answers, print what you've recorded. Editorialize when the situation dictates. Not difficult stuff.
+

I respect Birch because he hired himself a hooker. That goes a long way with me. Hines...I got nuthin. I think he's talented but douchey.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Watching Morris and Niang struggle to get on NBA roster is a good reminder how good you have to be to make it in the NBA. I think he has a ways to go. I could easily see him in a ISU uniform for his JR year.

Jr Year?

Look folks....LW has a lot of talent and i’m Sure glad he is a cyclone but the NBA is very specific in what they look for. It is rare for a college kid under 6’3 with a 6’3 wingspan to leave early to play SG in the NBA..i cant even remember the last college kid thats size that did leave prior to his jr year. LW would have to play PG in NBA. SG’s in NBA are 6’5 and taller with wingspans to boot. And SG’s have to be stellar 3pt shooters.

LW is going to be one heck of a player at ISU and he will be at ISU for a minimum of 3 years. A. Nader is a perfect wing in the NBA...size, height, wingspan, skill set, etc.. and in year 3 he is finally getting on a NBA roster. That is how hard it is to make a roster in the NBA.

Heck Matt Thomas lit it up as a SG last summer..Was arguably best player in the summer league..He’s 6’5 and he’s in Europe.

• Agree
Reactions: r06b and Sigmapolis

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

I think Hines doesn’t like being in Ames and covering Iowa State. He thinks he is big time and should be in a much bigger market. I also think his tweets indicate that he thinks he’s superior to fans in Iowa

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
+

I respect Birch because he hired himself a hooker. That goes a long way with me. Hines...I got nuthin. I think he's talented but douchey.

I really wish CW and JS had their jobs -- I love them here at CF, obviously, but having guys who mix the perspective of true native sons of Iowa and fans of the university/its teams, respect for the players, coaches, administrators, and sources (anonymous or not) who have earned it and/or the benefit of the doubt when called for it, do not try to stir up unnecessary trouble, and approach everything with professionalism in a way I wish political reporters would.

Absolutely nothing to do with personal lives -- we all know Birch and Jared had their run-ins with the law. I am just talking about the kind of reporters we have. I would rather have that type than the types we have representing our fan base and teams in the legacy media.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think Hines doesn’t like being in Ames and covering Iowa State. He thinks he is big time and should be in a much bigger market. I also think his tweets indicate that he thinks he’s superior to fans in Iowa
I feel bad for him that he clearly hates his life and isn’t good enough to be where he wants to be.

• Funny
Reactions: Dopey

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How about we let this kid play and worry about this later? We haven't even hit Big 12 play yet, he could come back down to reality and hit the freshman wall against better competition or rise to the occasion and be one of the best players in the conference. Right now I think he along with Lard and Lewis are showing us that Prohm can identify and recruit talent and if next year's freshmen are anything like these 3 guys we may be in for a real fun season in 18-19. I doubt we'll see a 1 and done at ISU but leaving after 2 or 3 years is not out of the question with his talent.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How about we let this kid play and worry about this later? We haven't even hit Big 12 play yet, he could come back down to reality and hit the freshman wall against better competition or rise to the occasion and be one of the best players in the conference. Right now I think he along with Lard and Lewis are showing us that Prohm can identify and recruit talent and if next year's freshmen are anything like these 3 guys we may be in for a real fun season in 18-19. I doubt we'll see a 1 and done at ISU but leaving after 2 or 3 years is not out of the question with his talent.

Nah, I want the kid tearing it up and this conversation to happen.

Frankly, if he is not, then we are probably not winning many basketball games.

Wigginton has a long way to come on defense, too, even if he is a polished scorer for somebody his age and a better shooter than I had anticipated.

MakeItNazty

Feb 2, 2015
Remember when this thread was up about Morris after his sophomore and junior year? While Wiggy is light years ahead of Morris at this point in time, lets wait to see a larger sample size v big 12 opponents. He's been awesome, but lets just sit back and enjoy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron