2018 QB Situation - possible JUCO or Grad Transfers

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Great value proposition:

We have a starting QB, but if by chance he gets hurt, you might get to play. If he stays healthy, you will never get on the field. Sound good? Sign right here.
Good thing that’s not the case.

How about:
We’re a program that’s proven to utilize grad transfers and give multiple Qbs a look. We return 6 quarters of experience that was beaten out by a walkon. Behind that two freshmen, one of which is coming off a major knee injury and will take his first college practice reps next fall, the other a true freshman that didn’t start his senior year. Sound good? Sign right here.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Noland is a stud and I really like him, but I doubt (if Joe does want to come to ISU) that he is scared of Noland. He will have to battle for a QB spot at about any p5 school. We would be incredibly lucky to have these two battling it out for the starting spot.
The staff has shown there will be competing at all positions. If they can't handle it go play elsewhere

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
I did. Park next year has more talent. Jantz isn’t comparable.

Like you said, once Zeb matures and gains experience maybe the non-talent aspects will make him the better QB, but to say Noland is more talented right now is wrong. Some here are greatly overreacting to Park leaving. There’s a reason why Park was the starter and welcomed back for next year. I trust CMC wasn’t wrong in those decisions.
Welcomed back? If, he changed his lifestyle and attitude, sure I buy that. If only drug free, no way. CMC left the door open for Jacob to make a choice on what he was willing to do to be a part of this team. His actions yesterday give us the answer. I don't buy the fans turned on me, reasoning. Jacob's indivduality and strong confidence in himself to go to the next level, don't jive with having concern about what others think. Normally the opposite, pushes people harder to reach their goals.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Welcomed back? If, he changed his lifestyle and attitude, sure I buy that. If only drug free, no way. CMC left the door open for Jacob to make a choice on what he was willing to do to be a part of this team. His actions yesterday give us the answer. I don't buy the fans turned on me, reasoning. Jacob's indivduality and strong confidence in himself to go to the next level, don't jive with having concern about what others think. Normally the opposite, pushes people harder to reach their goals.
Was he kicked off? Seems like Tommy must have gotten bad info.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I feel good with Zeb, but adding someone would be great. Your backups are a RS Freshman coming off an ACL tear and a True Freshman who was splitting time in HS and didn’t play half the year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Great value proposition:

We have a starting QB, but if by chance he gets hurt, you might get to play. If he stays healthy, you will never get on the field. Sound good? Sign right here.

That's not really the situation. Noland is the back up to Kempt, and got to play because Kempt got hurt. Not exactly "we have a starting QB". More accurately, we've got a guy coming back who has a little bit of starting experience.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I am really confused about what he is saying in the media. It is nearly 100% contrary to what he was saying as recently 11/29. There is something else going on.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Was he kicked off? Seems like Tommy must have gotten bad info.
Oh no, no way was he kicked off the team. I am confident that the university/athletic dept did everything possible and provided him the tools and support to address his needs and be a valueable member of the team. Along with setting some expections to be met. No different then real life, jobs have requirements. Employers can set expectations based on each employees experience and abilities(pay grades in the work force, 1st string vs 2nd string in football) When someone feels they aren't willing to put enough effort to meet the expectations they general look move on and find something else. I get the feeling thats what happened.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Seems he is going to want to go to where he is likely the starter. Don't know that is the case at ISU with Noland already here.
Ya, this isn't like the NFL where you can go get a guy to be your backup. This would be the only shot this kid has at being a starter.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
All of this talk of needing an experienced backup is kinda odd. Seriously, how many teams have an "experienced" backup or groomed successor to a graduating QB that has lots of game snaps? Very few. Usually it is teams with a not very good QB that are trying different guys under center or, worse, teams that had injuries that forced them to play guys with no experience that then became "experienced" when that was not the plan.

I think at least practicing is important. We won't have a guy with any fall practice experience going into next year. Not only do we not have game experience, we don't have any experience.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
We n
I think at least practicing is important. We won't have a guy with any fall practice experience going into next year. Not only do we not have game experience, we don't have any experience.
We need a backup who can hand the ball to DM, if not possible go Wildcat.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not a coach and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in a while, but I'd sure make a Juco or Grand Transfer QB my #1 priority.

They probably were already looking, since they probably realized Park was a basketcase, but it's all the more important now.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Great value proposition:

How did that work out for Park this year? Or Kempt when he became a starter and got injured? I stated previously in this thread that the last time we had one QB start every game in the season was 2008. You have to have options. Period.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the "oh but let's be careful not to step on anyone's toes" days are gone. If they have a shot at this Burrows, or anyone else for that matter, I think CMC will take it. That breeds competition, and competition breeds better results. If someone gets upset about it, I don't think CMC will lose sleep.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe and ATCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hell, Georgia signed Jacob Eason, a 5 Star, 5th overall recruit in 2016, followed it up with Jake Fromm, 4 star, 44th overall recruit in 2017, only to then sign Justin Fields, a 5 star, #1 overall recruit for 2018.

I don't think they are too worried about upsetting the existing guys. Stockpile talent and let the rest figure itself out.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Joe Burrow. Grad Transfer from Ohio State. Graduating early summer with two years to play. Was backup last two years with very good stats. Broke his wrist and lost back up spot. Lots of connections to Ames and ISU. I’ll be the first to start the rumor as I was the first to share his interest in ISU when he was in high school out in Ohio. We offered and he was ours until Ohio State did the same. Don’t take this as a strong possibility but there might end up being mutual interest the next few months.
Nice! His father is Jim Burrow, the defensive line coach at ISU in the late 80s/early 90s.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO we need to add someone. I'm not very confident in Moore at this point, and Re-al is even more raw than Moore. I hope I'm wrong, but Moore didn't impress me that much in the few games in high school I saw him play. But that was 2 years ago now, so much can change in that time, especially with one full year in college under your belt.

Help Support Us

Become a patron