Memphis Potential BIG12 Expansion Candidate?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think the best option for an expansion team is North Dakota State. Now I understand that it's a big jump from FCS to a power five conference but you have to look at the whole picture. First of all, as far as football goes, NDSU is very good. Winning 5 consecutive FCS championships, NDSU has shown extreme talent in football and I think they're ready for the next step. Again, I understand teams like Oklahoma, TCU, and Iowa State are completely different monsters, but you have to remember they have already beaten teams like Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Kansas State. Aside from football you have to remember that an expansion school includes all other sports as well. NDSU baseball went 31-25 in 2017, the basketball team went 19-11, cross country finished 2nd in their conference this season, golf was 5th in their conference, and went 14-5 in wrestling, a sport in which they are already Big 12 affiliates (came in. In fact, NDSU is already a Big 12 wrestling affiliate team. Finally, the location. Iowa State is currently the only relatively north member, and 6 of the members come from Oklahoma and Texas alone. The Big 12 made it clear that they are not opposed to expanding to new markets when they added West Virginia, a school that isn't close to any other member of the conference. Adding West Virginia created a new market out east and so far it has proven to work. NDSU would help open the northern market and would be far closer to other schools than West Virginia is (NDSU to ISU is only 6.5 hours while WVU to ISU is closer to 12). In the end, of all the none power 5 teams, North Dakota State is the best option for the Big 12 as a whole. This may be different if power 5 team is looking for new options or maybe is so bad they get booted out of their conference. I could see Missouri, ASU, or maybe even an Illinois being a good fit, but as of now I see those teams staying put, making North Dakota State the best available option.

Is this @lakesbison ? Was he banned? New username?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Louisville publicly begged to be in the Big 12 and we said no before the ACC took them. Unless something radically changes since we passed I doubt we expand for Cincy or Memphis. If I were in charge of the Big 12 we'd probably have the original 8 members of B12 still here, Cincy, Louisville, WVU and BYU. BYU probably would have been a mistake by me and TCU/Memphis probably better but I can't lie that's the four I wanted who were available.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the best option for an expansion team is North Dakota State. Now I understand that it's a big jump from FCS to a power five conference but you have to look at the whole picture. First of all, as far as football goes, NDSU is very good. Winning 5 consecutive FCS championships, NDSU has shown extreme talent in football and I think they're ready for the next step. Again, I understand teams like Oklahoma, TCU, and Iowa State are completely different monsters, but you have to remember they have already beaten teams like Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Kansas State. Aside from football you have to remember that an expansion school includes all other sports as well. NDSU baseball went 31-25 in 2017, the basketball team went 19-11, cross country finished 2nd in their conference this season, golf was 5th in their conference, and went 14-5 in wrestling, a sport in which they are already Big 12 affiliates (came in. In fact, NDSU is already a Big 12 wrestling affiliate team. Finally, the location. Iowa State is currently the only relatively north member, and 6 of the members come from Oklahoma and Texas alone. The Big 12 made it clear that they are not opposed to expanding to new markets when they added West Virginia, a school that isn't close to any other member of the conference. Adding West Virginia created a new market out east and so far it has proven to work. NDSU would help open the northern market and would be far closer to other schools than West Virginia is (NDSU to ISU is only 6.5 hours while WVU to ISU is closer to 12). In the end, of all the none power 5 teams, North Dakota State is the best option for the Big 12 as a whole. This may be different if power 5 team is looking for new options or maybe is so bad they get booted out of their conference. I could see Missouri, ASU, or maybe even an Illinois being a good fit, but as of now I see those teams staying put, making North Dakota State the best available option.

giphy.gif

Are you actually serious? It takes a LOT more than geographic location and FCS success to belong in a P5 conference. Look at the amount of money ISU has spent on facilities alone in order to try and keep up with the big boys. NDSU beat a handful of mediocre to bad FBS teams. Including ISU at the time. That doesn't mean they can play a Big12 conference schedule.

I am thankful that people smarter than you are in charge of these decisions.

94a.jpg

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Wow I never thought I'd see NDSU in an expansion thread. I always thought they would fit well in the MAC. Same for UNI.

But the days of G5 conferences like the MAC expanding with good FCS schools might be over. G5 conferences aren't getting huge TV money. The more schools they bring in, the less money they make per team in the conference. Same argument for why the Big12 isn't adding anyone to the P5 schools, except we have a bigger pie that we don't want to split.

Unless there are overwhelming reasons to promote an FCS school to FBS, I don't think it will happen.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
giphy.gif

Are you actually serious? It takes a LOT more than geographic location and FCS success to belong in a P5 conference. Look at the amount of money ISU has spent on facilities alone in order to try and keep up with the big boys. NDSU beat a handful of mediocre to bad FBS teams. Including ISU at the time. That doesn't mean they can play a Big12 conference schedule.

94a.jpg

What do you not like @isu2014 ? I'm not being particularly nice, but am I wrong?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would much prefer Houston than Memphis and it has very little to do with the fact I live in H-town, but more aligned with B12 academics and charter.

If the Big12 were to grow a pair and kick out Baylor, I would agree.

Reactions: Go2Guy

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just thought it was really rude. You aren't wrong.

Yeah. I'm in a snarky mood today. The whole Park thing has got me a little less friendly than usual.

I don't really want to be mean, but I really disagree that NDSU "deserves" anything.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
All candidates suck.

Move on people

It isn't even the offseason and we've had multiple expansion threads about the flavor of the month G5 team that had a good season. A year ago Houston was on top of the world and a sure thing, now they are mediocre in the AAC. Ain't nothing happening until close to 2024.

• Agree
Reactions: isuclone89

jbredwing1

Sep 12, 2017
St. Louis
giphy.gif

94a.jpg
I don't know if I'd call beating a #13 Iowa while in Kinnick just another mediocre win for any team let alone an FCS team. NDSU has 6 straight FBS wins (5 being P5 teams) and none of them are just flukes. In the win over Iowa, for example, NDSU rushed 239 yards to Iowa's 34 total yards, allowed only 5 of 13 third down conversions, and held the Hawks to 1.4 yards per carry. Remember, this wasn't the same Iowa team we say this year, Iowa was ranked #13 at the time of this game. Additionally, while you can say the success has only been at the FCS level, these games are not exactly close match ups. Over the last 3 season, including this one, the Bison average 35 points per game and hold their opponents to an average of 13 (this season the overage has been 40-10). This average includes all games, including FCS play off games and FBS teams. There's a reason FBS schools don't schedule this team anymore. Also, as far as facilities go, have you seen their facilities. NDSU has numerous, high level training facilities and the only one of them I have a problem with is the football stadium. The Fargo Dome doesn't have a high capacity and is an indoor stadium but this won't matter because they are currently in the process of building a new outdoor stadium that can fit the needs of the FBS level.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't know if I'd call beating a #13 Iowa while in Kinnick just another mediocre win for any team let alone an FCS team. NDSU has 6 straight FBS wins (5 being P5 teams) and none of them are just flukes. In the win over Iowa, for example, NDSU rushed 239 yards to Iowa's 34 total yards, allowed only 5 of 13 third down conversions, and held the Hawks to 1.4 yards per carry. Remember, this wasn't the same Iowa team we say this year, Iowa was ranked #13 at the time of this game. Additionally, while you can say the success has only been at the FCS level, these games are not exactly close match ups. Over the last 3 season, including this one, the Bison average 35 points per game and hold their opponents to an average of 13 (this season the overage has been 40-10). This average includes all games, including FCS play off games and FBS teams. There's a reason FBS schools don't schedule this team anymore. Also, as far as facilities go, have you seen their facilities. NDSU has numerous, high level training facilities and the only one of them I have a problem with is the football stadium. The Fargo Dome doesn't have a high capacity and is an indoor stadium but this won't matter because they are currently in the process of building a new outdoor stadium that can fit the needs of the FBS level.
Does Canada have a conference for NDSU? That’s probably their best bet.