UNI vs. ISU - thoughts/predictions?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If UNI leads by double digits at half, ISU will be in trouble. Prohm is very good at halftime adjustments, but BJ's teams really know how to slow us down, and that spread might be insurmountable. UNI 68- ISU 61. If we keep it close at half, it'll be a barn burner, ISU 76-UNI 73.

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
I expect it will be a good weekend for the MVC. UNI and Drake both win.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I've watched two partial UNI games and they look fundamentally solid and Pickford is good.

We still struggle to defend and give up easy baskets in the lane. UNI runs a lot of give-go.
We struggle with Def Rebounding, rebounding in general. UNI has always been fundamentally solid and disciplined.

We don't need to make it our tempo game and get in transition (but it will help). We need to shoot lights out to win, and it can be done, but I think we lose; probably by 7+.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This UNI team is starting to really feel like the 14-15 team. Really playing inside out and controlling tempo even better than usual. Jake has also been able to play a lot of the 4 out, 1 in look that he loves.

I think Iowa State is going to be really good by the time February 1 hits but right now UNI is tons more experienced and just playing better basketball. Give me UNI 62-57.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
@isu2014, you disagreed with Doc saying UNI was gonna win and me saying ISU was gonna win. You going for the "tie" option?
No...I disagreed with your comment "UNI is much better fundamentally". Sure, ISU has had some dumb mistakes, but our offense has a lot of life and our defense tightens down nicely. Haven't seen a lot of dumb charging fouls or moving screens lately. I don't think we are nearly as bad fundamentally as you would lead us to believe.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
No...I disagreed with your comment "UNI is much better fundamentally". Sure, ISU has had some dumb mistakes, but our offense has a lot of life and our defense tightens down nicely. Haven't seen a lot of dumb charging fouls or moving screens lately. I don't think we are nearly as bad fundamentally as you would lead us to believe.

I hope you're right. I'm hoping I don't have nightmares of backdoor passes Saturday night.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Give me UNI 62-57.

giphy.webp

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
UNI is much better fundamentally and has faced much better competition, but I like the way we've been playing lately. Pickford is a fun player to watch, but so is Wigginton.

I'll say if we can avoid falling behind by double digits, we win 72-69. We're gonna need solid games from Brase and Solo.

Iowa State is ranked higher in the NCAA in:

Fewest Turnovers (32 to 201)
Turnover Margin (120 to 233)
A/TO ratio (64 to 304)
Free throw percentage (97 to 137)

Now, I know that they have played better competition and these stats don't encompass all fundamentals, but to say they are way better fundamentally is a big stretch.