Monte called up to the Nuggets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Monte has been playing really well and Jamal Murray rolled his ankle last game. I would assume it is precautionary.. if Murray plays I wouldn't expect Monte to get any minutes at all.

There's always the possibility of a trade opening up some minutes for him, too. You have to figure Murray or Mudiay could be available to teams in need of PG help.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
While this is true, Monte has a real chance to stick with the Nuggets or another NBA team, where it's worth taking the risk of a lower salary. At this stage, if Monte were to go after the money in Europe he's probably there for the remainder of his career. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, Monte is potentially NBA material.

It's a good thing that they aren't breaking those poor owner's bank accounts by having two-way players on an NBA minimum salary. If your contract keeps you completely under the control of one team, you should get league minimum.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully that gets him called up to the Nuggets - I live in Denver and I would love to go see him hopefully get a few minutes some night.

• Agree
Reactions: CySmitty

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
He really passed well of the pick-and-roll; most of those assists were in half-court sets. Nice to see.

Running the pick-and-roll was one of his biggest strengths going into the draft. Seeing the highlights makes you realize how special he was and how much more progress Nick still needs to make. The biggest may be Nick realizing he's THE man and needs to be more assertive and not defer too much to the others.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Running the pick-and-roll was one of his biggest strengths going into the draft. Seeing the highlights makes you realize how special he was and how much more progress Nick still needs to make. The biggest may be Nick realizing he's THE man and needs to be more assertive and not defer too much to the others.

The key to the pick and roll is that both players up top need to be a threat to either slash to the basket or shoot the three. Without Brase up there with him, we're just bringing up a second defender to guard against the drive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I love how Monte makes a great over the top pass on his drive into the lane to the 7 footer Zhou and the announcers call it a missed shot. If Zhou would have just been a little quicker and caught that a half a step earlier they are raving about the awesome allez-oop.

• Agree
Reactions: mapnerd and ca4cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wouldn't it be best if Monte was with a different NBA organization? Would it be best if he was traded?

I think it's ok where he is. Frankly, if he hasn't been able to crack the roster and rotation for the Nuggets and their disastrous PG situation then he wouldn't be able to do it anywhere else right now. He's getting valuable reps and PT in the G League. We'll see how he develops.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Wouldn't it be best if Monte was with a different NBA organization? Would it be best if he was traded?

I think he's in a great spot with the Nuggs. They are very committed to letting their young guys develop and dumping Jameer Nelson was a sign that they were willing to lose a couple of more games if it meant getting their young guys more PT. I don't think Monte will ever beat out Jamal Murray for the starting job, but I think he'll be a solid second unit guy in a couple of years. Murray is starting to look pretty damn good.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Boggles my mind Monte isn't good enough to start getting numbers like that. Really don't care for NBA. White, Kane, Morris all good enough to be playing somewhere. At least Nader is getting his shot.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Boggles my mind Monte isn't good enough to start getting numbers like that. Really don't care for NBA. White, Kane, Morris all good enough to be playing somewhere. At least Nader is getting his shot.

If they were good enough, they would be playing for someone.
I think Morris will make it there eventually, but need to be patient.
There really is only enough PT for ~250 players... you need something special to stand out in that group.
All were very good college players - depends if you want to toil in the minors with a small chance to make then NBA or go get paid and lose that opportunity. Morris and Nader chose the first option. Kane and Ejim the second.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think it's ok where he is. Frankly, if he hasn't been able to crack the roster and rotation for the Nuggets and their disastrous PG situation then he wouldn't be able to do it anywhere else right now. He's getting valuable reps and PT in the G League. We'll see how he develops.

See, I disagree. Monte's selling point was always being a smart, steady hand, not that anyone was projecting him to breakout as a star in the NBA. Denver is looking for that high-upside starter. That's why they traded Nelson and keep trying to see what they have with Murray and Mudiay. Monte isn't ever going to be that part of that discussion. But if he had landed somewhere that had an established starter, but needed to develop a cost-effective and safe backup, he'd have been golden.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
See, I disagree. Monte's selling point was always being a smart, steady hand, not that anyone was projecting him to breakout as a star in the NBA. Denver is looking for that high-upside starter. That's why they traded Nelson and keep trying to see what they have with Murray and Mudiay. Monte isn't ever going to be that part of that discussion. But if he had landed somewhere that had an established starter, but needed to develop a cost-effective and safe backup, he'd have been golden.

He's a rough spot. Not a future star or legend, but way too good for the G-League.
I think you're right. He just needs a home that needs that inexpensive backup.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
He's a rough spot. Not a future star or legend, but way too good for the G-League.
I think you're right. He just needs a home that needs that inexpensive backup.

Yea, if he'd have ended up in a situation like Fred VanVleet in Toronto or Tyus Jones in Minnesota, I don't think he'd be bouncing between the bench and G-league like he is.