Another House Buying Questions Thread

Clonefan93

Nov 26, 2017
Work had relocated me to Algona area and a few years later away from Algona. In both cases I used Farm and Home. Joe Muller was my agent. He was great to work with.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm a mortgage broker, and would be happy to answer any questions if you'd like over PM. I also have a good real estate agent I could refer you to in the Algona area if you would like.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Ask to have the main sewer line scoped prior to purchasing. Our line had to be replaced within a year of purchase to the tune of $12,000. Fortunately homeowner's insurance helped out with most of the costs, but it could have been avoided by scoping the line during inspection.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Shoutout for KIOW!

I used to be the drive-time guy there. Great people there.

You know that Tony has basically retired and turned control over to other people? Didn't think he could do that. You have me curious now as I did some work for them for a short time and having lived in FC for a while ran into many.

BTW, just this morning the wife showed me a small clip about their long time, now semi retired, sports guy who is getting into hot water.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am disappointed that two pages in no one has told OP that he better have be paying all in cash :D

I kid, cmjh, I know you caught a lot of **** about that in your car buying thread. I'm sure you've been told to stay within your means and include all taxes and insurance in your payment amount. My other tidbit would be that when you go in to set up the final payment, round up to the next hundred (or a little more if it's already close to the next hundred) and pay that each month instead. You'll pay it off a bit faster and if something does happen like a job loss, you'll have a little bit of room to come down in monthly payments. That's also the reason we went with a 30 year instead of 15. Fifteen would have been snug but doable - unless we really ran into financial trouble where 1 or both of us were out of a job for over a year. That's not overly likely, but graduating into the recession made me pretty risk-averse. So I was more comfortable doing a 30 year and paying it more aggressively knowing we had a lot of wiggle room if everything went south.

Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: cmjh10

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Something I will offer you, since I have been around basically all these towns, I can help you pick which town suits you better. Some can be very nasty to new people, some welcoming, some are just odd. Pending what you want, I can guide you to a town or two that would fit you better.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
So, I am relocating for work. I am looking at Buffalo Center, Titonka, and Woden area. Basically between Forest City and Algona. I am pre approved right now and I have found some houses I may be interested in. I know its a rural area, but does anyone have any leads on good realtors in the area that I can work with? What are other tips, ideas, and suggestions for a first time buyer that is terrified and nervous about all this?

TIA
I'm originally from this area. Britt's not too bad of an option. Right on Highway 18: 25 minutes from Algona and 20 minutes from Forest City. Pretty decent amount of nice homes for sale in the area. Diemer Realty or Kelly Real Estate are your go-to's there.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Britt-IA_rb/

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Thanks for the continued advice.

Going to look at some places on Wednesday. What are specific things I need to look at or questions to ask?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Going to look at some places on Wednesday. What are specific things I need to look at or questions to ask?

age of all major systems - roof, AC, furnace, water heater, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Ask where the bodies are buried.