Legal action

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
You will never get satisfaction. If they give the most plausible explanation for the picked up flags it will still not be enough for so many.

I'm not defending the refs - this time. They are the same as the wind, rain and field surface - just another factor you cannot control. Play through it - it's the only option as a player. Let it go - it's the only option to get past it as a fan.

And it is just as valid to discuss poor officiating as it is to discuss weather and the field surface (which are both valid topics for discussion), or any other variable. Only a fool would suggest otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and aauummm

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Forcible contact??

This is what ref told KK..

Not only did the Ksu defender hit kk when he was already down after sliding but first contact was a forearm shiver to back of KK head.

Every single rule on late hit or hit to head or defenseless player says if in doubt it's a foul...then go to monitor..

Neither happened. Egregious doesn't describe what happened.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The refs should have to have a press conference after the game to explain some of the calls and how they came to the conclusion of making the calls.
It is ridiculous to me that the referees do not file some type of report that is public record - they are employed by conferences where each member complied to FOI requests, so why are the referees immune to that scrutiny? At the very least they could make a statement to the AP reporters present.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You will never get satisfaction. If they give the most plausible explanation for the picked up flags it will still not be enough for so many.

I'm not defending the refs - this time. They are the same as the wind, rain and field surface-just another factor you cannot control. Play through it - it's the only option as a player. Let it go - it's the only option to get past it as a fan.

You know why your analogy is 180......the wind, rain and field surface don't give a rats rear end if your jersey says Alabama......or Chicago State. If your name is Nick Saban, Bill Snyder or Donald Duck. Elements are much easier to play though and deal with than biased officiating. Because both teams have to play through the elements. Only one has to deal with a crew who has an agenda.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It is ridiculous to me that the referees do not file some type of report that is public record - they are employed by conferences where each member complied to FOI requests, so why are the referees immune to that scrutiny? At the very least they could make a statement to the AP reporters present.

Head ref answers questions from a single pool reporter, which is bad, but better than it used to be.

This answer, however...

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I have a long held belief that referees are instructed who they should help win. This comes from the league office. I am not saying they are told who to make win just which way to lean. That's the only way I can explain days like yesterday or Kansas basketball.

Except, you know, ISU beating OU and TCU was horrible for the conference. Also, it would have been better for the conference if ISU beats K-State, because it makes those losses look better for those schools. I would like to hear an explanation why K-State getting a 7th win helps the conference in any way. I'll save you some time and tell you there is no answer you can give me that would convince me it is.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
Except, you know, ISU beating OU and TCU was horrible for the conference. Also, it would have been better for the conference if ISU beats K-State, because it makes those losses look better for those schools. I would like to hear an explanation why K-State getting a 7th win helps the conference in any way. I'll save you some time and tell you there is no answer you can give me that would convince me it is.
I did not say they would make sure who wins. I said which way to lean. They obviously can't totally control outcomes. They can however make calls like yesterday to help one team or another. Otherwise how do you expl

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
That's just plain wrong. Officials at that level are graded and rated repeatedly... Based on the grading, they can move up, get better games, or be demoted.
But is that true accountability? What does it take to get suspended?

Poor officials getting demoted doesn't help teams like ISU, who, due to our history, are probably getting the lower graded crews more often than not.

There needs to be true accountability. The kind that doesn't simply mean they don't get to officiate games for the big dogs.

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
Story hit wrong button. How do you explain an otherwise good group of officials making a call like yesterday.

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
The easiest explanation? Sometimes people **** up. Sometimes coaches **** up, sometimes players **** up, sometimes officials **** up.
I agree with what you are saying and I don't want to be misunderstood. The officials are not the reason we lost. I just can't believe that they make a call and change it and not have more of a reason than its a mistake.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
The easiest explanation? Sometimes people **** up. Sometimes coaches **** up, sometimes players **** up, sometimes officials **** up.
One of these is not like the others. Which one is not held accountable for their mistakes? We need accountability, not just some vague talk about calls and penalties being graded and refs being demoted. $5 says these clowns will pay no price for their ridiculous actions and as for demotions, how gullible can you be?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
But is that true accountability? What does it take to get suspended?

Poor officials getting demoted doesn't help teams like ISU, who, due to our history, are probably getting the lower graded crews more often than not.

There needs to be true accountability. The kind that doesn't simply mean they don't get to officiate games for the big dogs.

Are there things that can be done to improve it? Sure. I was responding to a poster who said there is "zero accountability," which is obviously not correct.

I do think there are systemic problems in officiating. Probably one of the biggest ones is that fans and coaches at the lowest levels (Jr. High, High School) treat officials like you-know-what. Rude, profane, threatening. You want to get paid $55 to go be treated like crap for 3 hours? (More like $30 after expenses). Because of this, young people either never start officiating, or drop out after a couple seasons. Less of a talent pool at that level, a smaller pool at the D3 level, smaller pool at the D2 level ... well, you get the idea. Fewer officials overall = fewer good officials. There is a nationwide shortage of officials. I'm seeing it first hand here in Iowa.

I don't know what it takes to get suspended, but it can happen. Here is an example.

Here is a good article from CBS sports about what can be done to improve officiating at the D1 level. The biggest suggestion is to make it a full-time profession with corresponding pay. College football is a multi-million dollar business, so that should be possible.

NOTE: I'm not saying the refs on Saturday didn't mess up -- I think the waived off Pass interference close to the end of the game was clearly the wrong call. The first hold of the game looked like a bad call. I'm just trying to provide some insight.

Reactions: harimad

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Sorry guys I think we are taking this thing too far. I get how painful that game was to have the victory right there and see those bad call items creep back into the per view. We had opportunities to put that away all the same but did not execute from our side as well. Time to move on, get out coach an extension, and go dominate a bowl game....

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Law suit? No. I have been saying for close to ten years that the refs NEED to be held more accountable and one way to do this is to put them up on the podium to answer questions preferably with video and pictures as to why they made the calls they did. There is way too much money in college athletics especially football for everything to be handled behind the scenes. Make those grades public. We are all investing our time and money into this. Why should I start investing or invest more if we are just going to continually be screwed/have to endure this crap officiating.

I saw one place that said during the discussion on the PI call the white hat asked if the guy who threw it was sure three times. Why are you suddenly doubting your crew? I completely understand not wanting to decide the game but by trying to avoid that they did exactly that.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think this is the first post that I have made in football for years. I saw the game, wondered as it was going if they had changed the rules of football, if I no longer understood how the game was played. I watched quite a few games this year and never saw anything that bad.

This said, I think the only way forward is to play through it. Hoiburg and Prohm have done a good job this way in basketball. It is hard to do, but it is the only way things are done the only way forward. To keep talking about it most likely causes more harm than good.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron