Highest possible finish

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
So with Baylor losing, what is the highest ISU can finish in conference? Any way to still make 3rd?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Not likely to finish 3rd. Ok St, Texas , and WV would all have to lose, plus ISU wins.
I don't think the tie breakers come into effect for finishing position. I'm guessing if all those teams won as did ISU the final standings would just have us tied for 3rd and then the next lowest record team would show as 7th.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not likely to finish 3rd. Ok St, Texas , and WV would all have to lose, plus ISU wins.

I don't believe this is correct. If we all won tomorrow we would still finish in a third place tie with all of them. We would just be last among those schools in terms of bowl priority. Tiebreakers are in place to break ties for championships, seedings, etc; not to break ties in final standings.

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: Nozick and harimad

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't believe this is correct. If we all won tomorrow we would still finish in a third place tie with all of them. We would just be last among those schools in terms of bowl priority. Tiebreakers are in place to break ties for championships, seedings, etc; not to break ties in final standings.

No such criteria in the Big 12. After the CFP and NY6 bowl selections, Big 12-affiliated bowls are free to select whomever they want.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No such criteria in the Big 12. After the CFP and NY6 bowl selections, Big 12-affiliated bowls are free to select whomever they want.
Yes I agree, they can pick who they want, they just get to select in an order of highest payout first. So the highest paying bowl, Alamo, gets first pick of the bowl eligible teams, but can pick any of the eligible teams. Camping gets second pick of teams left, and so on.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
With Texas losing, an cyclone win tomorrow will most put us as 4th assuming okie lite beats Kansas and Oklahoma beats wvu.
While technically true because of head to head, I don't believe the conference uses the tie breaker system for 3rd thru 10th so I believe we would be considered tied for 3rd officially as far as the conference is concerned.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
While technically true because of head to head, I don't believe the conference uses the tie breaker system for 3rd thru 10th so I believe we would be considered tied for 3rd officially as far as the conference is concerned.

Yep.

Tiebreakers are only for deciding who fills slots for finite spots in the championship game. Bowls can pick whoever, and there's nothing that requires the ties be broken in the standings.

Win tomorrow, we're tied for 3rd (unless something really **** y happens and we have it solely). Lose tomorrow we're tied for 4th or 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
With the Texas loss here are the scenarios:

Best case: sole possession of 3rd (okie state and West Virginia both lose, isu wins)

Most likely case: tie for 3rd (okie state wins, isu wins)

Also likely : tie for 4th (isu loses, West Virginia loses, there would be a 4 way tie for 4th)

Worst case: tie for 5th (isu loses, West Virginia and okie state wins) tied with Texas and kstate

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
With the Texas loss here are the scenarios:

Best case: sole possession of 3rd (okie state and West Virginia both lose, isu wins)

Most likely case: tie for 3rd (okie state wins, isu wins)

Also likely : tie for 4th (isu loses, West Virginia loses, there would be a 4 way tie for 4th)

Worst case: tie for 5th (isu loses, West Virginia and okie state wins) tied with Texas and kstate

One more really weird and unlikely scenario:

OSU loses to KU
WVU loses to OU
ISU loses to KSU

That would give us a 5 way tie for 3rd at 5-4.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
If KU basketball can claim league titles even though they had the same record as another team and weren’t the 1 seed in the tournament, then I am saying ISU finished 3rd in football if we win tomorrow

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Kingbury got himself another trip to Ames Iowa next year with the win last night according to the AD. The AD said the program isn't where they want to be, but it isn't far off.

IMO Tech isn't the old Colorado led Dan Hawkins of the Big 12, but they're not far off.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Highest possible?

Yeah, I got a guy but it's gonna cost you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron