Rumor? Campbell and Co. contract extention and raise

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Basically some no name person on Twitter said "reports of ISU and Matt Campbell reached a deal in principle to raise his salary, remove performance incentives, and raises for assistants and extend his contract".
Why the heck would you ever remove performance incentives?

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd give him a raise instead, and still keep incentives in his contract.

I get what you're saying, but the schools trying to poach him aren't doing so with incentives. You've gotta keep competitive with his base salary. If the budget can't handle a higher base plus incentives, then just move everything over to the base to make that more attractive.

Ultimately, as much as we all love Campbell you can't end up like Barta and Ferentz. Gotta be responsible to the budget.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Why the heck would you ever remove performance incentives?
Take that inventive money and put it towards assistants salaries. Would be far from surprised if Campbell agreed to that by getting his staff more money.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Hate to pee in your Cheerios but that tweet is fake news.

The silence on the extension front is deafening. And I don't think it's because JP isn't trying judging from some of his subtle comments. Very worried about Tennesse at this point. The SEC option of the Midwest. Hopefully this is just unfounded concern and CMC doesn't want to talk contract during the season.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The silence on the extension front is deafening. And I don't think it's because JP isn't trying judging from some of his subtle comments. Very worried about Tennesse at this point. The SEC option of the Midwest. Hopefully this is just unfounded concern and CMC doesn't want to talk contract during the season.

I normally try to be calm about this stuff, but given his ability to turn the program quick, I think we need to swing for the fences and pay him. I just don't see another coach with as much upside.

I know he's a solid guy and hope the challenge of making ISU a first time winner is more appealing than big program/big money.

John Currie at Tenn is similar to Pollard...which is scary to me...but I also know JP knows what we have and will pull out all to keep him (and I'd think CMC would give is a fair shake in a process)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
No reason to talk extension until after this weekend at the earliest if not after the bowl game. Probably already conversations going on behind the scenes and the possibility of winning 9 games still would only give Campbell more negotiating power. I would think that both sides want to keep the momentum going and with the Big 12 TV deal and record ticket sales ISU should have more resources than in the past to offer a competitive salary and the donors surely would be on board with it too if it meant finally turning the FB program into a consistent winner.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No reason to talk extension until after this weekend at the earliest if not after the bowl game. Probably already conversations going on behind the scenes and the possibility of winning 9 games still would only give Campbell more negotiating power. I would think that both sides want to keep the momentum going and with the Big 12 TV deal and record ticket sales ISU should have more resources than in the past to offer a competitive salary and the donors surely would be on board with it too if it meant finally turning the FB program into a consistent winner.

You don’t wait until after the bowl game. If an extension isn’t announced by Wednesday, we should be very worried.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
You don’t wait until after the bowl game. If an extension isn’t announced by Wednesday, we should be very worried.

I would think something has to go down in the next week or two. The ADs with job openings are really going to push to get the ball rolling before the Dec 20 signing period starts. And if he doesn't sign some sort of contract extension or favorable alteration it may hurt recruiting because the perception would be he's not committed. The contract does run through 2021, but the buyout keeps decreasing year to year.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why does anyone think there would be any serious discussions before this weekend. Good lord, up until today there was still an outside chance Campbell would take the team to the conference championship game. He would be stupid to negotiate when he still had an outside chance at a conference championship.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I really don't think any SEC job is that great right now.

FL is probably the best of the group...but they just fired their coach 5 games into his 3rd season after winning their division his first two years there. Sounds like a great job!

TN has been good historically...but they're also long removed from NC talks.

The SEC is a meat grinder. I don't care how good of coach you are, you're always one or two injuries away from being 'not so good' this year. Those fan bases don't understand 'not so good'...

Like I posted before, the UT board has 'Fire Tom Herman' thread that was started in early September. Herman hadn't even gotten all their dishes unpacked in Austin by that point.

I think regardless of where it is...Matt Campbell would choose to work like Bill Snyder more so than Bob Stoops (Retiring at 97 vs 58). Given that, he's probably more concerned about longevity than most coaches.

Also...15-20 years ago Nebraska & TN were both national football powers....neither one of them have really been in NC contention since. Things change.

IF Frost stays in Florida (I hope he does) there is a huge opportunity at ISU as none of the surrounding programs have that much to offer vs what Campbell has working in Ames right now.

I'm not saying he stays forever, but if he did, why couldn't ISU be a NC contender?

Yes, I get it. Great 'fluke' years don't typically get you a BCS birth at a non-traditional football school. BUT building a solid program here, and then having a undefeated or 1 loss B12 championship year probably would.

Reactions: khardbored

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
This smacks of "I'm gonna post something that I have no inside knowledge of, but has a fairly good chance of happening anyway, so I can seem really smart when it happens."

So, basically a CF type post. I agree the tweet is more than likely false, but the number of "sources" from people here is pretty funny as well.