UNI At it Again

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
They beat SMU and NC State (who beat Arizona) to get to a matchup with Villanova. It just amazes me how they develop their guys and have new guys step up each year. Small rotation but an impressive team.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
They beat SMU and NC State (who beat Oregon) to get to a matchup with Villanova. It just amazes me how they develop their guys and have new guys step up each year. Small rotation but an impressive team.

NC State actually beat #2 Arizona last night. Scored 90 points against them, only 60 against UNI today.

As a dual fan, it was quite a thrilling win to watch.

Reactions: Cycsk and Doc

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
When do the Hawks fire Fran McCaffery and hire Ben Jacobson. I am surprised that no P5 team has not snatched him up by now.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
When do the Hawks fire Fran McCaffery and hire Ben Jacobson. I am surprised that no P5 team has not snatched him up by now.
Has his name ever really been linked to a job? I don’t remember seeing it.
At this point it seems like he’s content in Cedar Falls. Good for him if that’s the case.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They beat SMU and NC State (who beat Arizona) to get to a matchup with Villanova. It just amazes me how they develop their guys and have new guys step up each year. Small rotation but an impressive team.

They do it because they keep coaches. We’ve had 3 coaches in the time they’ve had 1.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
At this point it seems like he’s content in Cedar Falls. Good for him if that’s the case.

Only job he's ever been close to taking was Texas A&M when they hired Billy Kennedy. Jake was offered and asked for $3.5M and they were only willing to pay just over $2M. Has not seriously looked at a job since.

The dream job is Michigan State but I don't see them looking at him. He's starting to feel like a Rick Byrd/Bob McKillop type lifer...

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
They do it because they keep coaches. We’ve had 3 coaches in the time they’ve had 1.
Ben recruits the type of players that will succeed in his system and they do it well. While, ISU has had more coaches, we’ve also had more success. Jacobson is still there because there’s probably only a couple realistic schools he’d leave for and I don’t think he’s really had enough success for one of those schools to come calling yet. He’s made the Big Dance 4/12 years at UNI and only made the second weekend once. Enough to not get you fired at UNI, but not quite enough to land that big time job.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Only job he's ever been close to taking was Texas A&M when they hired Billy Kennedy. Jake was offered and asked for $3.5M and they were only willing to pay just over $2M. Has not seriously looked at a job since.

The dream job is Michigan State but I don't see them looking at him. He's starting to feel like a Rick Byrd/Bob McKillop type lifer...
I still think that Marshall has a great shot at a huge huge program like Kentucky. Wichita has deep pockets. At that point, I wonder if they’d go after Jake.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

A&M for sure. I always thought he'd end at Minnesota when it was all said and done but now I think he's a lifer in CF

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Not sure I believe this. Ben makes $500k at UNI, and he was demanding $3.5M at A&M, and turned down just over $2M to stay at UNI for $500K?

He must REALLY love UNI and Cedar Falls not to accept over 4x his current salary.

• Agree
Reactions: OPButtrey

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
I'm not close to Coach Jake, but I don't see this happening, ever. I don't think either SEIU or Coach Jake would remotely want this to happen.

They are actually the second best basketball team in the state and for a while were the second best football team also in the state. ;)
True about football...

As far as recruiting, we all wonder what Jake could do with the type of recruits ISU gets. Haliburton was very high on UNI until ISU came in later and recruited him (grrrr!). What Jake needs, though, is guys who can understand and are willing to apply his system. Have to be smart, have to be team-players and willing to work hard.

What I want is for SEIU to either tank into recruiting obscurity or for Psycho(Fran) to take them to very high levels where they stop looking at Iowa stand-outs. There are a couple Iowa players (now and '18) who I think should have been Panthers.

And same for ISU except not the tank part. I actually like rooting for ISU most of the time.

With our current guys, there have been moments where we looked more ISU-like than we ever have. Break-aways and make the running layup is new for us to happen more than once every couple games.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It appears there's no doubt which in-state rival will pose the most challenge for ISU this season.

I don't except UNI to get past Villanova, but already accomplished something getting to the final.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Jacobson reminds me of McDermott. He's perfect for a size school like uni, but don't think he'd cut it in the big 12.

Jacobson wins because everyone on his team is on the same page. He coaches them to fit perfectly for his system. He doesn't rely on athleticism and play makers to win games. That approach and longevity at a school is a recipe to be consistently successful in a Mid-Major conference.

McDermott saw exactly how that worked when he tried to do it at ISU. Luckily for him he adjusted greatly when moving on to Creighton.

Help Support Us

Become a patron