RECRUITING: Darius McNeill status

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Two points....
Edwards wasn't a "pass" by the Staff. He was a priority and they didn't get the commitment that led to the targeting of Post Guard transfers of Brown, Alstork and Egor. Edwards chose LSU for immediate playing time due to the coaching change. The issue was Will Wade ended up recruiting over him after his commitment with a lot of high quality perimeter options. (Especially Tremont Waters former Georgetown commit). I do think Edwards shooting would have been very good for this team in a sixth man role and he'd have better numbers at ISU.

I also don't consider Mckinley Wright as a miss. At the time they had McNeil as the developmental PG/SG and went all in on recruiting Wigginton. If the staff would have missed on Wigginton then they would deserve criticism for deciding on pulling his offer when he wanted to commit early. I guess they could have tried to gone after him after he decommited from Dayton but I think at that point the ship had sailed. I think he is a good player but he is benifiting from getting more time than he would at this point in Ames.
I was being generous towards the staff with Edwards. We didn’t tell him what he wanted to hear, while Wade did. I was fine with that as I wasn’t as big on him, but I assumed we’d be able to get a senior guard. He’s basically Long and Lewis, but with less upside.

Is Wigginton a better pg than Wright? He’s certainly more athletic. Imo if a quality P5 point guard wants to commit, but you decline and it ends up playing out like it has, it’s a miss. I’m not beating up the staff over it, even John Beilein passed on Morris and he’s a great evaluator of talent.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Considering Babb is mostly playing pg now, and LW is more off the ball, Its too bad we couldn't have gotten both Wright and Wigginton, but at that particular time I think McNeil was still on board so doubt we could offer that even if Wright was interested. But as they say, that's water under the bridge. UNLV's Juiston got in foul trouble last night so nothing to evaluate, but apparently has been a monster on the boards. Don't like to call any of them 'misses' but rather situations that just didn't materialize.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I was being generous towards the staff with Edwards. We didn’t tell him what he wanted to hear, while Wade did. I was fine with that as I wasn’t as big on him, but I assumed we’d be able to get a senior guard. He’s basically Long and Lewis, but with less upside.

Is Wigginton a better pg than Wright? He’s certainly more athletic. Imo if a quality P5 point guard wants to commit, but you decline and it ends up playing out like it has, it’s a miss. I’m not beating up the staff over it, even John Beilein passed on Morris and he’s a great evaluator of talent.

Wigginton is a lot better than Wright

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Wright wouldn't start at ISU this year or next. Passing on him only hurts if Haliburton doesn't pan out. Hard to call him a miss when we're talking about 2 or 3 years from now.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wigginton is a lot better than Wright
At pg? Not right now. And Wright is certainly better than an open scholarship. Save the “then we wouldn’t have Halliburton” fallacy. That’s not how recruiting works. Plus, even if it were an either/or situation like that, Wright this year AND next > Halliburton next year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
At pg? Not right now. And Wright is certainly better than an open scholarship. Save the “then we wouldn’t have Halliburton” fallacy. That’s not how recruiting works. Plus, even if it were an either/or situation like that, Wright this year AND next > Halliburton next year.

Wigginton is better than Wright at any position right now

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

It wasn't and open scholarship situation the staff was taking 2 guards in the class, McNeil committed in the summer and did sign. There were a number of guards the staff recruited for the last spot and once they realized Wigginton was a real possibility they prioritized him over the rest. Correct decision as Wigginton is a better overall player now and after he works on refining a couple traits will be a very good PG. One of the main selling points for LW was learning/playing PG for Prohm to help him make the league. We will see him playing at point soon enough.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Except Clyburn could keep people honest with his shot... Talley should never shoot 3s.

Pretty sure Coach Prohm would disagree. his system promotes outside from the SF to spread the floor. No doubt Talley's outside shooting has been rough but he still has the greenlight to shoot. I am sure his shooting is an area the staff will focus on during the year and next summer.
Nader and Hogue both were inconsistent shooters that became consistent in similar roles so it can be done.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Pretty sure Coach Prohm would disagree. his system promotes outside from the SF to spread the floor. No doubt Talley's outside shooting has been rough but he still has the greenlight to shoot. I am sure his shooting is an area the staff will focus on during the year and next summer.
Nader and Hogue both were inconsistent shooters that became consistent in similar roles so it can be done.
I'm certain prohm looks at it differently than I do. But you gotta play strengths. Cus that is basically a turnover letting him shoot.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Another recruit ISU was after for awhile Daquon Lake is averaging 11pts 7.6 rbs and 1 blk per game at ASU. They have another kid there ISU recruited as well, Romello White who is playing well. 15pts 9 rbs.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

WE GOT WIGGINTON DID YOU NOT KNOW THAT!?!?!?!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Talley only took 11 3 pointers all last year. It's a different situation from all the guys you mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Unless Talley starts hitting outside shots and at a decent rate, his PT is going to diminish because the player guarding him is going to collapse off him daring him to shoot. Nothing in his history at his previous school (13.3% on 3's) indicates his inability to shoot is a new development. (0% so far at ISU.)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If anyone is curious. Cal vs SDSU is on CBSSports Network. McNeil (#1) has 10 pts and 1 ast @ halftime.

Also Juiston/UNLV plays Illinois late.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If anyone is curious. Cal vs SDSU is on CBSSports Network. McNeil (#1) has 10 pts and 1 ast @ halftime.

Also Juiston/UNLV plays Illinois late.

Juiston......grrrrrrrr. Sorry, can't help myself. Wanted that dude.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron