Will this be Fred Hoiberg's last year at the Chicago Bulls?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Looks like they are just planning on being horrible this year, so I don't see him getting fired.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Fred's strengths as espoused by his supporters did not translate into the NBA game. He didn't pick his players but good coaches deploy schemes to accentuate the strengths of his team.

BTW - never been big on nostalgia and Fred's time here is simply another "back in the day" story that gets better (revised) with each telling.

I would agree with this to some extent, however, Its really hard to put a team together that the players weren't selected to fit a particular style of some kind. Players strengths have to be complimentary and have balance. That has a lot more to do with front office decisions than coaching. Popovich, which is viewed by many as the best coach, is exceptionally picky about what type of player is on his team.

Realistically, should anyone expect the Bulls to be any good with the current roster?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Based on offseason trades and current space on their salary cap this year is a "tanking" year before they start trying to acquire more talent through the draft and free agency.

The front office has never put together a good roster of players that will fit Hoiberg's style of offense. Butler was a good player, but it was clear that he didn't want to be coached by Hoiberg.

Based on his contract and the fact that this year has low expectations I would be surprised if Hoiberg was fired this year. I would think that 2018-19 is the year that he has to deliver, but the front office does not give me much confidence in making moves to acquire the right pieces.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think Fred left not only because of the Bulls job but because he was getting too deep into the muck of unethical recruiting.

Or just recruiting in general? Doesn't seem as if the liliest of white CSP has had any issues signing guys that want to be here. Thinking Fred was way out ahead of his skis going after the elite players...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It can only be good for Cyclone Nation if Fred succeeds in Chicago, and for the success and careers of Loenser and Henry who went along with him!

It only means something to a few fans - means nothing today for Cyclonenation other than creating same old trite and hackneyed rerererereposts.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Honestly, the best thing for Fred probably would be to get fired. Things aren't going to change with the Bulls in the next two years, so his NBA coaching career is just going to look worse and worse. If he were to get out now, he'd be able to sell to the rest of the NBA that he was put in a bad spot, "Look, they tanked the team." At this point, with the Bulls front office way of doing things, it's just going to get worse for him.

I think Fred is angling for a front office gig. Which I don't think he killed at when in Minny.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I would agree with this to some extent, however, Its really hard to put a team together that the players weren't selected to fit a particular style of some kind. Players strengths have to be complimentary and have balance. That has a lot more to do with front office decisions than coaching. Popovich, which is viewed by many as the best coach, is exceptionally picky about what type of player is on his team.

Realistically, should anyone expect the Bulls to be any good with the current roster?

Fred's supporters (and CSP detractors) said Fred's magic is putting schemes on the floor that match his players strengths.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
reinsdorf doesnt give a **** about the bulls. he only cares about the sox

• Creative
Reactions: cyputz

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I would have never said this until this year but I think this program is in much better shape long term with Prohm than it would have been with Fred, IMO.
May I ask why it took so long?
The Fred many here wanted ceased to exist. His refusal to mitigate the NBA rumors capped this program, as did his passion for only one aspect of the game.

Prohm is far more versatile as a coach and rather than run from recruiting, embraces it. Now, if he had a transfer recruiter like Abdelmassih...

Reactions: xr4ticlone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yep. Freddie will go on to replace Bill Self at KU. :p And you don't have to recruit at KU, Adidas does that for you.
WZjVa5D.gif

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Here is the thing about Fred.
He's an introvert for the most part from all reports and my limited interaction with him.
It's why he hates recruiting.
It's why he wanted out of Ames & ISU. He doesn't want to talk to you at the gas pump, or waiting in line at the Hy-Vee, or sign your autograph at dinner.
As a Cyclone legend and head BB coach there was no escaping that here.

In Chicago he's not that big of deal. In fact most of them didn't want him...and probably feel even more angst towards him now. He's not getting hit up for autographs, or small talk there. The fans aren't that passionate, especially for the teams he's had since going there.

He trusts Gar...evidently. He got paid handsomely for a job that everyone else in the world knew was a sucker's bet. He probably knew as well, but had $25 million reasons to smile and lie about it.

He 'money balled' college basketball taking recruits that typically slid to lower D1 teams despite their abilities, due to their baggage. He jumped on grad transfers as well. That was getting harder as other programs jumped on board those programs and competed for that talent.

He also did it because he hated recruiting. He pushed O over D and was able to get the horses to make that work well...but in the end D wins championships. Especially when you catch some tough breaks (Georges foot).

I don't know what Fred's next move will be...he won't last past his contract IMHO. I think front office is most likely the direction he goes. It won't ever be Ames, Iowa IMHO. I think he retires early due to his health concerns and that he'll have went to the mountain and (at this point, barring any major changes) got crushed by it.

His daughter going to KU and his now apparent closeness to Bill Self is irksome. If you've ever spent time or lived in Kansas City or around KU fans you realize they actually make you appreciate Iowa fans.

I'm over Fred. Thanks for the turn around. Best of luck. If you go to KU or some other big name school giving the appearance of shitting on ISU...well then FOAD. But until that day enjoy your NBA paycheck...you're earning it....not with product, but with mental pain and anguish.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Also...my brother feels vindicated because he's said forever Fred cheated off him in Finance classes they took together.

"Never really talked to him...or got to know him. But he did sit one to the left of me and one row behind me for almost every test I ever took with him"

My brother was on deans list...and never got less than an A in finance...and he's not one to BS.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Also...my brother feels vindicated because he's said forever Fred cheated off him in Finance classes they took together.

"Never really talked to him...or got to know him. But he did sit one to the left of me and one row behind me for almost every test I ever took with him"

My brother was on deans list...and never got less than an A in finance...and he's not one to BS.

Fred must have learned something in Finance class. His checkbook is looking pretty good lately.

• Funny
Reactions: LindenCy

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
It only means something to a few fans - means nothing today for Cyclonenation other than creating same old trite and hackneyed rerererereposts.

That wasn't directed at the fanboy/fangirl love from fans for Fred. Having someone like Fred with deep Iowa State ties succeeding in a major market of media and recruiting can only be a good thing.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think Fred can be a successful NBA coach and maybe even at the Bulls he probably should have taken the Minnesota job but he definitely could do a good job with younger players I just don't think the mix of the diva group of know it alls was the right mix for Fred
On the contrary - I think Fred creates "divas" by refusing to be an authoritative coach regarding lack of effort, poor attitude and not following direction. What offense do they run? I don't see any plan. The inmates run the asylum on the Bulls. Players who play zero defense still stay on the court. Fred's problem is that he is so timid.
Thibodeau didn't allow any "divas."

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
KU job would be perfect.

Only if it is his dream job.
BTW, has anybody asked Fred what he does want to do after his contract with the Bulls is over? He didn't mind talking about the next job while he was at ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron