On That Note - Instrumentals

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
In an earlier edition of one of my entries of OTN, someone commented hoping we would do a posting on instrumentals. This week's entry will be my attempt to cover the subject. Lots of product and scope, so I'm probably just hitting most of the familiar stuff, but of course it wouldn't be a MeanDean post without my favorite little obscure nuggets for you. Since there are so many I will post them in packets of no more than 5 (as that is the limit as to the number of embedded links in a post allowed on CF.)

In a younger stage MeanDean was sort of an anti-instrumental snob. "Put some words in there, make it a real song!" Somewhere along the line I got over that and thankfully have come to appreciate the simplistic beauty of an instrumental presentation without vocal overlay.

So, on that note (Ha, see how I did that!) Lets get on with this.

(Caveat: Some of these do have some words or back up stuff in them, but not being a picky guy, I'm tossing them all in the instrumental bin for your enjoyment)

The way my mind categorizes them always starts with the early Rock and Roll/Surf Classics:

Wipe Out - Surfaris

Walk, Don't Run - Ventures

Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's

Tequila - The Champs

Pipeline - The Chantays

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A general question, attempting an educated guess: Was it more common for groups to release instrumentals as A-sides back in '50-60s and maybe into the late 70s, then it tapered to a rare occurrence after that?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I have yet to grow tired of “Green Onions." It isn’t even a complex tune, and it’s been around for what, 65 years? Maybe perfect balance of subtlety and instrumental buildup, for lack of better description.

Any time I chop green onions for a recipe, the song comes into my head.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
A general question, attempting an educated guess: Was it more common for groups to release instrumentals as A-sides back in '50-60s and maybe into the late 70s, then it tapered to a rare occurrence after that?

There was definitely a period in the early 60's when the instrumental was in it's heyday. Surf instrumentals were a big thing. But just instrumentals in general. Once the Brit Inv hit they were way less common. Eventually it was pretty much just movie or TV themes.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
I have yet to grow tired of “Green Onions." It isn’t even a complex tune, and it’s been around for what, 65 years? Maybe perfect balance of subtlety and instrumental buildup, for lack of better description.

Any time I chop green onions for a recipe, the song comes into my head.

For me its the build up to the race on Paradise Road between John Milner in his Deuce Coupe and Bob Falfa in his wicked '55 Chevy.

Last edited:

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

The Stax band from Memphis mastered that that kind of thing, evident on their records in the mid to late 60s. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay is another well known example, but they had many. Yours is a good description.

Reactions: cyclones500

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Is Wipeout technically an instrumental? Always thought there was one line at the beginning- “Ha ha ha ha, Wipeout”. One of my favorites would be Nugent’s Homebound.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
In an earlier edition of one of my entries of OTN, someone commented hoping we would do a posting on instrumentals. This week's entry will be my attempt to cover the subject. Lots of product and scope, so I'm probably just hitting most of the familiar stuff, but of course it wouldn't be a MeanDean post without my favorite little obscure nuggets for you. Since there are so many I will post them in packets of no more than 5 (as that is the limit as to the number of embedded links in a post allowed on CF.)

In a younger stage MeanDean was sort of an anti-instrumental snob. "Put some words in there, make it a real song!" Somewhere along the line I got over that and thankfully have come to appreciate the simplistic beauty of an instrumental presentation without vocal overlay.

So, on that note (Ha, see how I did that!) Lets get on with this.

(Caveat: Some of these do have some words or back up stuff in them, but not being a picky guy, I'm tossing them all in the instrumental bin for your enjoyment)

The way my mind categorizes them always starts with the early Rock and Roll/Surf Classics:

Wipe Out - Surfaris

Walk, Don't Run - Ventures

Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's

Tequila - The Champs

Pipeline - The Chantays

All great ones!

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Juliet of the Spirits, by Nino Rota (especially like theme starting at 1:35), composer of all sorts of great music including The Godfather and Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited: