Mason Jars entering the coaching carousel

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Just shows that having a high skill QB (Manziel) is important and losing others (Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen, and Kyler Murray) can lead to job loss.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Just shows that having a high skill QB (Manziel) is important and losing others (Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen, and Kyler Murray) can lead to job loss.
Manziel was trash. It was the wide receiver that caught anything within twenty yards that made him look so good. Evans, I think his name was?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Who do they even go after...?

The world is not brimming with up-and-comers right now.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
They spent $485 million on a renovation so hopefully for them they saved some money for a new coach.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Manziel made that team go. There is zero doubt about that no matter how much you dislike the rest of him.

Yep. Not many quarterbacks have embarrassed a Nick Saban defense at Alabama but Manziel did it twice. Great college QB but his ability didn't translate to the pros. I don't think he had a good enough arm or mechanics for the NFL, but even if he had his attitude and work ethic would have sunk him anyway.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Supposedly, Chad Morris from SMU is a hot name. Took them to 2-10, 5-7 and is now 6-5 so far. He's going to be a candidate at Arkansas as well. If that's a better coach than Sumlin...we'll it sure doesn't seem like it. Seth Littrell at N. Texas is another name. He's supposed to take over for kingsbury at TT.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Manziel made that team go. There is zero doubt about that no matter how much you dislike the rest of him.

That's a valid opinion, except for the zero doubt part. Here is my dissent:

All you have to do is see the pro careers of those players to understand who made that team go. Plus, at TAMU, every time Manziel got in trouble, he threw the ball up for grabs. It should have been turnover city.

But Mike Evans made him look good every time that happened. If Mike Evans wasn't on that team, Johnny Manziel would have been the brashest bench-warmer in America. And we wouldn't be talking about him because we wouldn't know who he is.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's a valid opinion, except for the zero doubt part. Here is my dissent:

All you have to do is see the pro careers of those players to understand who made that team go. Plus, at TAMU, every time Manziel got in trouble, he threw the ball up for grabs. It should have been turnover city.

But Mike Evans made him look good every time that happened. If Mike Evans wasn't on that team, Johnny Manziel would have been the brashest bench-warmer in America. And we wouldn't be talking about him because we wouldn't know who he is.
You’re basing your argument on pro performance? Sure, and BDJ (RIP) made our 14-15 team go, not Morris or Georges.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I could see Sumlin going to a Pac-12 school. I think any SEC school would be stupid to grab him, great recruiter, horrible coach.....

Reactions: Dandy

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
You’re basing your argument on pro performance? Sure, and BDJ (RIP) made our 14-15 team go, not Morris or Georges.

No, I'm not basing my argument on pro performance-- merely submitting it as evidence to support my opinion: Without the incredible receiving skills of Mike Evans on his college team, Johnny Manziel would have been exposed in college instead of in the NFL.