OT - Cutting Cable

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Don't understand the love for "smart" remotes and can't come close to justifying cost. If you don't point it just right, you'll turn off stuff that's supposed to be on and vice-versa. We got one for my dad a few years ago who was tech-challenged and he was even more confused than eve

Never had a problem with Tablo whatsoever. You may need to upgrade your router and/or ISP.

They aren't actually that expensive if you only have a simple setup. I got the Harmony-350 for my parents and it only costs about $30 (controls 4 devices). One of the best things about these is that you can plug it into your computer to set them up. No more messing with codes or such. Once you have it programmed, you can even rearrange all the buttons if you want (i mapped the Blu-Ray color buttons to my xbox 360 buttons back in the day - yes it works on an xbox even).

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Well, you need to keep the remote pointed at the devices until all of the signals are sent from the remote, and the devices do need to be in the field of view of the remote's infrared transmitter. My kid figured that out when he was a grade-schooler, so it can't be that tough...
I get that. Dad couldn't figure it out. He'd call me and say I haven't had sound on the TV for a week. Well, ya have to manually turn everything off and then start over get the on/off for all your components synced up again. Remember? Oh, ok.

I've just never found a need for one. DirecTV's remote was pretty good with multiple components and now that I'm a cord cutter I only need one remote (Roku), never have to change inputs and it also controls my TVs volume.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It’s because Amazon has the streaming rights to this game, so the NFL network stream that’s on Vue can’t show the game. Basically sports broadcasting rights are ridiculous. Most weeks you’ve been able to see the Thursday night game on the NFL Network stream
Doesn't have anything to do with Amazon. It's because the originator of the game was NBC and PS Vue has no live contract with NBC.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
This is probably a dumb question, but will the game this weekend be available on PS Vue?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So, apparently PS Vue doesn't have the rights to Thursday night NFL games on the NFL network? What's the point of having the NFL network then?

I get the Thursday NFL games on the NFL Network.

Edit: I see someone says PS Vue doesn't have a live contract with NBC. That one confuses me. Can we get an explanation? I get NBC and the NBC Sports Network. Is this a different issue?

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Hallelujah!! PSVue's UI was updated on my Roku tonight!

Haven't had time to really check it out, but it had the wife all sorts of confused haha
Can I get confirmation on this? I checked a couple of times over the weekend, restarted the Roku 2 times and still have the same crappy PSVue interface. Anyone else have any luck?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Can I get confirmation on this? I checked a couple of times over the weekend, restarted the Roku 2 times and still have the same crappy PSVue interface. Anyone else have any luck?
Confirmed. Mine has been updated since I posted that.

Which Roku do you have? I have an older Roku 4 that updated, but my Roku 3 did not.

You could verify you have the newest Roku OS. Go to Settings, System Update (something like that).

• Informative
Reactions: AmesHawk

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I get the Thursday NFL games on the NFL Network.

Edit: I see someone says PS Vue doesn't have a live contract with NBC. That one confuses me. Can we get an explanation? I get NBC and the NBC Sports Network. Is this a different issue?
Vue doesn't have a live streaming contract with NBC in the Iowa market. Some larger markets do have that option, but right now, at least in the Des Moines area, all we have is CBS live streaming.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Vue doesn't have a live streaming contract with NBC in the Iowa market. Some larger markets do have that option, but right now, at least in the Des Moines area, all we have is CBS live streaming.
I might add that the quality of the CBS stream on Vue is poor.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Since some of you have Vue, maybe you can answer this. I've seen commercials claiming that you can watch anywhere on PS Vue, but if I try to watch anywhere but my home network, it blocks me out. Anyone able to actually watch anywhere?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Since some of you have Vue, maybe you can answer this. I've seen commercials claiming that you can watch anywhere on PS Vue, but if I try to watch anywhere but my home network, it blocks me out. Anyone able to actually watch anywhere?
There's a limit on the number of devices you can use it on. I think 3 maybe?

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I too have had issues watching it on any other device. My big issue I think is it's not recognizing my "home network" on my phone. My apple TV and PS4 both stream just fine. I've also used my PSVue credentials to watch things just fine on multiple computers, I just can't do it through the PSVue interface. I go through the provider (such as HBO).

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
It depends on what you're trying to watch. The content provider dictates whether or not their channel can be streamed outside the home network. I have yet to have a problem watching whatever I wanted while away from home, either through the Vue app or through the content providers app using my Vue login

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

Glad I read this before replying. In the Chicago area, and get both the CBS/NBC and the NFL network stream. Crazy how many hoops these entities have to jump through to provide what should be a pretty simple service.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron