Creighton lighting it up

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That NW v. Tech game is probably one of the few in history that was never tied nor was there a lead change for the entire game. NW was assessed an administrative technical for failing to turn in a lineup card on time and Tech hit a free throw before the game even started and proceeded to extend the lead they would never relinquish from there. Tech led all 40 minutes with 0:00 of tie.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A lot of the transfers out were driven by McD's playing style though. While he was at Iowa State he refused to play with pace and played his slow MVC tempo. When he went to Creighton that all changed. He allowed much more freedom on offense and his teams play with pace now. Unfortunately we were the guinea pig...

Yeah. He stubbornly tried to play like they did at UNI with almost no success. I honestly can't think of what the biggest win of his career was at ISU.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
4 games: 92, 109, 92, 100 pts.
He must have ditched that 3,000 play playbook because It seems like we never broke 65,66 pts with him.
He's a good person, so I'm glad he's succeeding. That's a good basketball program right now.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah. He stubbornly tried to play like they did at UNI with almost no success. I honestly can't think of what the biggest win of his career was at ISU.

This is what really stands out to me in McD's tenure here. He was not willing to play with any pace at all and without elite players to run that kind of offense or going all Huggy Style, it's tough to play that way in the Big 12.

It reminded me a lot of the football offenses we had with Rhoads. They were just set on running this style of offense, without recruiting the players to actually do it. Instead of playing to your strengths, they focuses on a scheme and would only run that.

It does seem that McD learned a lot here in coaching style and allowing the players' abilities to dictate the style of play.

As others have said, I hold no ill will towards Coach McD. He seemed like a good guy who just didn't fit here. I'm glad he's doing well and I hope he continues as such.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I really hated his tenure in Ames. The passion just wasn't there. I'm happy to say the situation worked out for both Iowa State and Creighton, since he's a genuine person who deserves well.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Members of his family have indicated had he known just how big of a mess the basketball program was before he arrived he would have never come here. It is hard telling what kind of things he had to clean up off the court after the Wayne Morgan era. This may have factored into his success on the court.

I think there is something to it, but it could certainly just be a family member making an excuse for McD.
There is probably something to it, but not enough to excuse his failure entirely, imho.
That sounds more like an admission he wasn't up to it.

He apparently learned on the job how to be something other than a Mo Valley slow-coach. Good for him! It just didn't help ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wasn't his biggest win one of the last games he coached at Iowa State? We beat K-State in the octagon when they were top 10 or maybe even top 5.

They were #5, competing for a 1 seed in the NCAAs. Brackins fouled out, Diante took over.
That's his biggest win in terms of opponent rankings.
The biggest win in terms of potential, like "hey, this is gonna be good" is probably that win over Missouri his first year. Strange thing, that was on the road, too, and McD almost never won on the road here.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
A lot of the transfers out were driven by McD's playing style though. While he was at Iowa State he refused to play with pace and played his slow MVC tempo. When he went to Creighton that all changed. He allowed much more freedom on offense and his teams play with pace now. Unfortunately we were the guinea pig...
I saw a game last year and he was yelling at the guard he wasn't pushing it enough. Couldn't imagine him saying that at UNI or Iowa State

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
There is probably something to it, but not enough to excuse his failure entirely, imho.
That sounds more like an admission he wasn't up to it.

He apparently learned on the job how to be something other than a Mo Valley slow-coach. Good for him! It just didn't help ISU.

He definitely didn’t walk into the best scenario. But some of that situation was his own doing as ive always been told he absolutely botched trying to win over the players loyal to Morgan. It was obvious there were concerns over style of play and instead of trying to ease the concerns he shoved his playbook concept down their throats.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
After that Northwestern performance against Tech, I'm wondering exactly what they have in Evanston. It's not very often I say it wasn't as close as the score in a 30+ point victory but in this case it wasn't. The blush is certainly coming off of that particular Creighton victory.

I mentioned NW in a different thread in past couple of days, can't remember which one, although Northwestern entered season as a valid choice to make the tournament, being ranked in/near top 15 seemed like a stretch, when I'd have put it more 8/9 seed range. Not giving a top-25 type of vibe so far.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I was afraid that Jamie would keep him after that W.

I don’t think Jamie had anything to do with him leaving. I could be wrong- he may have told him to look for an escape if the opportunity presented itself. I still don’t think he’d have been fired after that season though.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
McDermott was the anti-Prohm. His teams at ISU seemed to get worse as the season wore on.

And remember, this isn't your father's Big East. The conference is a shell of its former self.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and cyfanatic

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And remember, this isn't your father's Big East. The conference is a shell of its former self.
The don't necessarily play the old smash mouth style but it's a damn good league. Extremely deep this year again.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
The don't necessarily play the old smash mouth style but it's a damn good league. Extremely deep this year again.

I will say, after going back and looking at conference RPI over the past few years, the conference is better than I expected. And better than the Big 10 each year!

Reactions: JP4CY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I will say, after going back and looking at conference RPI over the past few years, the conference is better than I expected. And better than the Big 10 each year!
It’s very good.

I think the biggest thing is McD got to establish himself and his program while they were in the MVC. By the time they moved he had momentum and system guys in place.